HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Experimental and Opinions Acceptable

Micanopy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been making little bitty chickens.

Name:  5E1FA6E4-99D2-4EA1-9A87-7F78D4397E56.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  58.3 KB
    Name:  C8AFBC47-EB46-4CF3-8B96-752372EC07A4.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  53.6 KB
    Name:  19896B18-7732-488B-8213-DCFE4D6E0B78.jpg
Size:  55.4 KB

I am calling this Candy Corn pattern, because….well because they remind me of Candy Corn. I always hated getting them when I was a kid at holidays as I wanted chocolate instead.

The 1/16th are the size of 1/8th, and the 1/8th the size of 3/16 due to having two layers of heavy powder paint, and two layers of resin and some fingernail polish. They absolutely glow under the UV light. Very noticeable at distance. The hooks will wear out long before any of the coloring diminishes.

My hobby room smelled like a nail salon as I used up all my Gorilla glue with the little brush applicator and substituted Sally Hansen to glue the eyes on. I do not enjoy gluing eyes. I found that I must glue the eyes on for every type I have except the 6.5 silver eyes, which have just the right amount of stickum on the back to stay until the resin can seal them. I am using oversized eyes on these jigs because, well because why not ? The little eyes just don’t have the same impact. The concave eye feature in-pressed into the lead is way too small to allow a complete capture of the eye, so they sit along the rim of the socket. The resin fills the edges very nicely and makes for a smooth surface when finished. It is a lot of work but my fishing expeditions demand nothing but the finest.

I couldn’t help myself. Yes, I did make more of these, too.

Name:  1A4B85E2-7E0E-4A3D-97F5-C45D485BB245.jpg
Size:  55.9 KB

I do not think they are especially useful for fishing but they please me somehow. When I hit them with the UV light the lighter areas glow very nicely providing a speckled effect. Maybe that will goad them devils as it passes by. They look like lizards to me and if a crappie were to study a jig head, this one surely appears to be more lifelike than the Chickens. These are 1/4 ounce heads with the 7mm reptile eyes. I did them two ways. First half were dipped into the bright yellow powder twice for a thick coat, and then the silver. The other half dipped into white, then UV, then yellow then silver. They look different in color of course as the ones without the white are a slimier looking green.

I experimented some with other under colors but none provided a reasonable result. Oh sure pink was interesting but the paints didn’t work together and the effect was very small.

I plan to have spinning blades on some of these, but mostly it will be plastic baits. Soon I hope to get something new and cool to test so I hope the mailman hurries. I did pretty good yesterday swapping out jigs. I was willing to reel in and do that. It was not a chore as the quick snap thingies made it easy. The trick I discovered was having a selection to swap out to. I wanted dark with chartreuse and well ended up using some blacks and some purples. Orange and chartreuse seems to always get their interest up, so will need those as well. It would be much easier if all were the same weight but with three weights and six rods…… I need six of each style.

Found some new tackles boxes. Plano Prolatch Stowaway 9” x 5” x 1.25” for $2.50. Got three of them one for each weight category. The Prolatch is sticky to close but stays locked tight which is most important when you got jigs. Thinking about painting them as they are transparent and they will sit out on the boat during expeditions. The paint would serve to keep the plastics from fading and might help keep them cool. I will coat the box with Slab Sauce.

BTW- I ordered some stuff from the Crappie.com store. Who knew it even existed. Got me a Boonie hat, the wife a visor, and of course Slab Sauce in the eye drop applicator. Man he ships fast, and the prices were very reasonable. Now when I take photos of her fishing she will at least look like she is involved in the process and not just some kind of princess on a yacht trip. She wants matching shirts for us, too. Can you imagine us, at the ramp, looking like a professional fishing team in dire need of some really dumb sponsors. We shall get very bright shirts in the sheer material I enjoy so much.

Yesterday I was putting jigs back in the box after swapping out. I usually pitch them into a cup but that seems to move them over to the scrap heap ( her artwork project ). So after placing moistened baits into the box, I leave the lid open inside the house over night and let the a/c unit dry them for me. I want to try to have a set of purposed jigs instead of a random collection of hodge podge designs and weights. If they like orange/chartreuse jigs, I will have a nice selection in each weight category.

Today is Independence Day and my area is the ONLY area that is getting rain. A band of storm clouds, very thin and long is sweeping across my area. A little South or North and they would miss us, but Noooooooo…… Maybe later the wife and I can test out her tube riding skills. I bought a tube yesterday to test her with and a nice blow up mattress for lounging on the back of the boat whilest I troll. Then here comes the stupid rain. It really isn’t an issue for me as I prefer the rain to bright sunny and especially hot. She however seems to be more reasonable about things and thinks rain is to be avoided. The trick I tell her is to just surrender and accept the rain and go about your business like nothing is happening. She can’t do that because she is normal.

It still amazes me that if a jig just barely touches one of the other lines it makes a complicated series of wraps and knots very quickly. Macrame. I have never had this issue before in my many years of fishing. Horrible knots. I am getting better at avoiding them though as it is first in my mind now when a jig starts to fly wild. So now that I am going to try braided line, having long flouro leaders will be especially important.

So far most of the “fun” I have been having does not actually involve real fish being swung aboard. Rather preparation for swinging real fish aboard. I am evolving though. The fish say so. I was catching six fish every trip, then when I started using my hand ties started getting one fish, now I am back to getting six fish again. So I am definitely improving. I believe that the dumb plastic baits is my best way forward. Let’s face it, my skill set will never match that of DrNip or Skip- or even Mr. James Dean at this point. If my lakes were clearer then maybe it would be different. If I dipped jigs instead of dragging them around the lake like the Daytona 500, it might be different. If I could actually tie something worthy, it might be different. But I can make a mean jig head and attach my plastic baits to where they stay hitched, and catch a few fish.

Location, location, location. There are areas where the fish seem to be collected, but it escapes me as to why. Surely fish are seeing my presentations cruising past, only there are some areas where they see them and decide to eat them. Weird. I imagine that there are these huge Slob Croppie just lying there in the grass, witness to a myriad jigs over their 10 years of life, watching mine go past and laughing. “Hey….look at this fool.” So I need to get better at selecting locations where there is a nice selection of really dumb fish, or……present something they do not recognize as a lure. Ten years is a long time to watch jigs go by. All the fishermen been dragging jigs past them. I think they either were never intrigued by jigs or they were convinced that they were not a food item early on. The ones I pitch back might one day become huge fish and if they do I bet they will avoid jigs.

I enjoy trolling so trolling it will be for a while longer.

Now go blow a finger off or something.
    Maybe they will bite this one……
    Likes S10CHEVY, Jamesdean, BuckeyeCrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  C51DF0AD-C10D-442F-95E4-62E48968F6EF.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  41.5 KB
    Likes S10CHEVY, Jamesdean, BuckeyeCrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking Jigs for sure. Even the chicken heads. You sir have some great skills their painting them heads.
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph
    Thanks Micanopy thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I sure hope the crappie raid the Hen House.

Name:  F146E9DD-051B-4AEE-AF6D-CEC6DBA8FA35.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  93.2 KB

These are some 0f my 1/16th ounce jigs. There are a few more with the whirlling blade trick. I tried to make multiples in the same color patterns of plastic, and varied the chenille according to my mood. These will be on my outside rods, running shallow.

Been reading that colors really don’t much matter, nor designs, rather presentation is king. Maybe so. Dragging along a team of jigs though would make me conclude that some will be better than others.

Been reading about placing plastic bodies onto jigs/hooks. I am developing a style in which I am getting some great results. The process is tricky if you intend to get it just right, and some say that just right really does matter. After doing up a particular plastic on the same hook, the length of insertion becomes easier. I keep the jig in alignment with the plastic the entire time. Really tough to explain but it is simply a matter of training yourself.

If the bait is slightly off or cocked a little bit it will not run true and will glide at an awkward angle. Still catch fish, but no where near as many as a perfectly inserted plastic.

I read that our jigs actually wobble slightly as the glide through the water column. That the movement is barely perceptible. That means the fish MIGHT notice the visual, or MIGHT feel the vibrations, or MIGHT hear the sounds created. Interesting idea, this wobble.
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  60EE4C09-B4B4-4AC3-A63D-DE36A93C50A5.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  81.4 KB

Some of my 1/4 ounce jigs. The chenille serves several purposes. One is as an extra color. Another is that I dob glue onto the threaded hook shank and the head of the lure, then when I slide the plastic up it goobers the chenille and forms a solid base. A fusion. Two glued surfaces. Lastly it pushes the lure further back, giving the tail more action and this extra distance back also helps prevent the tail from fouling on the hook.

I saw a company that is selling 100 count bags of curly tail grubs 40% off. Gonna get me some to have lying around. They sell 2” and 3” and I am interested in the 3” as they can always be cut down. I read where a man cuts his grub’s heads off at angles to produce enhanced actions. This will give me something to play with.

I also saw where the tails on grubs are not all equal. Some are wider and some thinner and whispier. I imagine thin tails would wrap around the hook more readily. However, pushing everything back a little bit might render the issue mute. Anyways I feel that a selection of grubs is going to be a good thing. My friends uses little curly tail grubs exclusively and seems to do just fine. Buys his jig heads, too. They look like el cheapos. Like he doesn’t think it matters.

It is hard to know who to listen to anymore. Color matters- color doesn’t matter. It appears to be similar to dancing. Folks just get out there and do their thing, and over time get a little better at it. There is however one thing that everyone agrees on, and that is that there must first be fish present before you can catch them.
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes sir, If you a feeshn' and der be no feesh to be feeshn' fer, somin' goen' be hongre....
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    Thanks Micanopy thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

So……my new rods came today. Oh Boy are they nice. Ozark 11’ Lite Jig Rods at $36 each. Got four of the devils. They haven’t been fishing yet but they feel like money in the bank. Flexie tip with some backbone down lower. Cork handles. Tony Edgar specials….whoever he is.

I added my Optimax spinning reels and spun on some new line. Cheap braid in 10lb test. I added a small swivel at the end using a loop knot from my old surf fishing days. Braid line does not relax like mono does, and it continues to tighten. Over time it can and will sever itself. So I use a series of six over hand knots to form a loop knot, and then pass the loop through the swivel, and allow line to grab the swivel where the loop leaves the sleeve vs. doing a Cats Paw with the line. This is an extremely durable setup when using quality line and will outlast UNI knots.

Anyways I wanted a long sensitive rod for my long line trolling operations. The other rods I was using were way too stiff and it was difficult to know when I was getting a bite. The 16’ Jenko Spider Troll rods had no problem indicating bites, and these new rods should also. That flex helps keep fish pinned as it is hard for them to get any leverage to rip themselves free. Like a coyote chewing his leg off, they will rip their face up getting free. Flexie flexie will keep them connected.

My first task next trip will be to run the lines out the back and drag them for a while allowing any twists and such to spin out. I get good results with my lines when I do this right away.

I had been using three different weight of jigs and will continue to do so. Last several times the heavy ones were in close to the boat and shortest in length of line out, mid weight in the middle, and the lighter jigs projecting out from the boat the furthest and furthest back. I am going to try just the opposite and see if that does better as far as handling and working the spread and such. I know it will make casting out much easier. It also makes sense to have the jigs closest to the boat spaced out and away the furthest.

Tonight and tomorrow we will be enjoying our Tropical Storm, and so I will be playing with my gear and making jigs and such. Might get some things delivered, never know. The ground is saturated around here with ponding water everywhere. It has been like this for several weeks. Now we add a TS and it’s water and our trees will start to fall. Saw several down on my way home tonight. Sucks because I would love to go fishing tomorrow.

My jig supply so far is a selection of Bobby Garland Stroll’Rs on 1/16th, 1/8th, and 1/4 ounce heads. To that I will have a similar selection of jig heads but with Curly Tail Grubs as the baits. Then I will have similar heads on swim type jig baits like the paddle tails and wigglers. Soon I will receive a sample of something new to me, and I will test those out and report back. Not sure what they are but they are for trolling. I didn’t realize that some baits were designed simply for jigging, and while they might work for trolling, would not be as effective as jigs designed to be pulled. My tube jigs go without any love even though they have caught fish. They might do better come Winter when the fish want small stuff.

What I did was take all my Stroll’Rs and dump them onto my desk. Then I made three piles mixing the various color patterns into an even spread across all three weights. So each weight had a similar number of each color pattern. Then began combining them jig head to body using my thread, chenille and glue technique. Then each weight of jig gets it’s own small tackle box. In each box is also a selection of spinning blade jigs in that same weight size.

I will do the same 3 box spread with the curly tails. I will also have a single large box with just the paddle tails and jokers and such. I also have crank baits in another box, but so far the fish have not been attacking those. Once I have this done then I can focus on finding them fish. I can know that it isn’t that they don’t want what I am serving, rather that they are elsewhere and I need to keep looking. I know I am going over crappie that are either not noticing or simply don’t wish to chase my baits. I catch a fish or two, turn around and go right back through and nothing. Going back through in the same direction sometimes helps but usually not. Them fish must be fickle is all I can figure.

My Crappie.com store package arrived today. Slab Sauce in the little bottle, which I plan to dribble inside my boxes. Let that chenille suck it up. Boonie hat which is too small for my head, and the pink visor which I was sure she would adore but alas does not. So now I got gifts to give someone. I didn’t order the shirt because I knew it would never fit. He sent decals so those will be handy. Happy to be a team player.

I also found an umbrella at Target on sale and bought some PVC pipe and fittings to make shaded front chair. Not sure how it will go with long rods and such but I just have to at least try. My wife needs shade when we go as she burns fast. The heat doesn’t really wipe me out but a little shade is always nice.

Oh I forgot my new fingernail polish comes tomorrow. Atomic Yellow and Neon Green. Can’t wait to make up more jig heads. I like white head, dipped in UV powder, baked, and then the eyes and polish, then resin. Quite the deal making these jigs as there are about a dozen processes involved. Like I said previously, I do not really snag up and lose my jigs, so I don’t mind the effort. No way I would wish to start a business making them. Hope I can stay away from making plastic baits. Man I am afraid I would like that.

I am thinking that I need to start a new experimental stuff thread. Maybe in the beginners section as nobody seems to want to post anything in there. Someone coming to learn to tie jigs might get confused by my musings and sucn.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 1/16th ounce and the 1/32nd ounce Do-It Ponyhead molds. Problem is protecting the little swivel when powder painting. So I just create my own spinners.

Name:  569C759B-85A3-4327-8BC0-93FF50D162E6.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  50.3 KB

Still able to add plastic baits.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  088FCD02-5B2C-4323-8E0D-49F58171DB6D.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  59.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Micanopy View Post
    I have the 1/16th ounce and the 1/32nd ounce Do-It Ponyhead molds. Problem is protecting the little swivel when powder painting. So I just create my own spinners.

Name:  569C759B-85A3-4327-8BC0-93FF50D162E6.jpg
Size:  50.3 KB

Still able to add plastic baits.
    Micanapy, get you some heat shrink tubing. This is what I use to cover my eyelets before painting. Pre shrink tube, heat head, then slide over swivel paint, pull off. Plus they reusable. If it gets hard, just warm it and its pliable again...Name:  20210707_055051.jpg
Size:  50.5 KB

Sent from my SM-G892A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app