HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: High quality ultralight spinning reels

Post Thanks / Like

Thing I believe is what is the true value of some up grades. They may do what they claim but most people will never notice it. Huge area for that is Rifle scopes. I don't know how anyone can justify spending $1500 on a scope unless they have money to burn. But they do and they claim the optics are better, wonder how they tell that with the naked eye. I saw some casting reels for sale on another site the other day for over $400 used! Just looked, accurate ?Reels, $425 used! The product's today are getting more and more like the cell phone I think. Sooner of later the only thing your life will require to be complete will be a cell phone. I'm sure all the research going into things like $400 reels and $400+ rods cost's money but I'm also sure that it creates a product no one needs but rather is a status symbol. I don't know now and never have known a fisherman that buy's one rod and reel and it's all he has for the rest of his life. Another thing I experienced first hand is sometimes expensive get abused by yourself or kids and the expensive stull breaks just like everything else! Spend $400 on a fishing rod and slam the car door on it, now that's a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    Another thing I experienced first hand is sometimes expensive get abused by yourself or kids and the expensive stull breaks just like everything else! Spend $400 on a fishing rod and slam the car door on it, now that's a problem.
    I strongly suspect a typical $400 JDM UL rod will break much easier that a typical Ugly Stick. One should be aware and prepared for that.
    Likes Don Fischer, redearhoosier LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s_v View Post
    I strongly suspect a typical $400 JDM UL rod will break much easier that a typical Ugly Stick. One should be aware and prepared for that.
    ... and if you regularly break rods, you’re better off sticking with the Ugly Stik.
    Likes s_v LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s_v View Post
    I agree with that and it concerns me, lol. And deathb4disco's comment below yours is also true!

The tip diameter on some of these JDM rods is insanely small, sheesh!
    ~~~
    Bill

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can safely say that I don’t have any experience with any equipment in the class y’all are talking of, so I shouldn’t comment on most anything relating to it. What I do know is that I catch fish and feel things I’ve never felt before. Everyone that I share my boat with is surprised with the weight and sensitivity. So I guess I’m happy where I’ve landed. That said, I’m also glad that y’all enjoy and pursue this higher end tackle and gear because I learn from every post I read. Some of this applies to the way I fish and I’ve always learned from others and applied what I can use to my way of doing things. If I had a rig like y’all speak of and someone also broke it, I would probably say unkind things and maybe lose a friend. Better for me to keep the friend and use the tackle I have now, which is better than I’ve ever had anyway. Thanks for the smarts you guys pass along.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

That's a very diplomatic post! At this time, my take on JDM gear for American anglers is i-don't-know-yet. The rods have tips that are so crazy small, I am not sure they are usable for American anglers who have fished all their lives with sturdier gear. High end JDM reels, yes, I kind of get that. Kind of hard to deny that they are better. Necessary, no. But the rods... watch out! They should come with training videos.

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    I can safely say that I don’t have any experience with any equipment in the class y’all are talking of, so I shouldn’t comment on most anything relating to it. What I do know is that I catch fish and feel things I’ve never felt before. Everyone that I share my boat with is surprised with the weight and sensitivity. So I guess I’m happy where I’ve landed. That said, I’m also glad that y’all enjoy and pursue this higher end tackle and gear because I learn from every post I read. Some of this applies to the way I fish and I’ve always learned from others and applied what I can use to my way of doing things. If I had a rig like y’all speak of and someone also broke it, I would probably say unkind things and maybe lose a friend. Better for me to keep the friend and use the tackle I have now, which is better than I’ve ever had anyway. Thanks for the smarts you guys pass along.
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by livemusic View Post
    They should come with training videos.
    This discussion reminds me of a delicious small-batch condiment I recently had – in place of all the typical shebang about expiration dates and storage conditions it had one statement "eat it soon – it is fruit".
    Likes livemusic LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well said, Skeet. U/L tackle opened a whole new world for me. Leaving shortly to chase ‘Em on the creek with my trusty TSS.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    Well said, Skeet. U/L tackle opened a whole new world for me. Leaving shortly to chase ‘Em on the creek with my trusty TSS.
    Bob
    Bob, what is a TSS?
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Default A strongish opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by livemusic View Post
    ...If anyone has a strong opinion on a good reel, please let me know!
    For a tight budget, the American market Okuma Ceymar has been a great ultralight reel for me. The C-10 is tiny, perfect for bluegill and smaller panfish. I don't care much for my Okuma Helios. It was $130 and not worth it.

For about $80, I bought a JDM Daiwa Revros from a Japanese webstore. It is an SS (Shallow Spool) model and casts as far as my favorite reel: the JDM Daiwa Ballistic FW. You might be able to find the Ballistic FW on sale for close to $200, but $250-300 is more common.

I strongly recommend the JDM Daiwa reels: the Revros for tight budgets and the Ballistic FW for a nicer, smoother experience. BTW, I have not tuned or added bearings to my reels. Maybe will do so next winter, but the JDM reels are great straight out of the box.

John Scott
    Likes livemusic, redearhoosier LIKED above post

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast