HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shad Imitation

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice of you Dr.nip' what a great gesture. Micanopy, I guess it's like that every where, as far as your club goes. Being the new kid on the block with a few fellas already set in their ways can be a challenge for sure. Some will accept a different way of doing things and some just too set in their ways my friend.
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph
    Likes GrumpyLoomis LIKED above post
    Thanks Micanopy thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Painting eyes I picked up the tip to use cheap drill bits for this that I got from FAOL, just use the flat end and use several size bits for different heads. I use vinyl paint for just black eyes like on my Roadrunners, but have also used the enamel model paint for eyes. I know some use wood dowels, but the drill bits are easy to handle and fit most anywhere easy.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Likes GrumpyLoomis LIKED above post

DrNip is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup drill bits or dowel rod tips I’ve heard over the years for vinyl eyes. I’ve never done vinyl eyes. Don’t know why not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrNip View Post
    Yup drill bits or dowel rod tips I’ve heard over the years for vinyl eyes. I’ve never done vinyl eyes. Don’t know why not.
    Best part about the Black vinyl you don't need the White undercoat like you do with it's colors. As long as you can handle just a Black eye, it's perfect and just need to dry. It's thick stuff so easy to get a nice thick eye. May need to thin it from time to time.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the little cans of oil based paint, applied with old nail sets or drill bits. Easy to clean/wipe paint of while wet. A black eye by itself is good in my opinion. Catches fish with the ones I have two coated and you cant get it off the jigs even dock shooting concrete walls. Well for awhile anyway.

Micanopy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Skipped fishing today. It was pretty windy and the wifey had a list of want dones for me. I did manage to play some as I fired up my lovely gift.....Bat Jig Mold.

Name:  86466664-9D57-4DC3-9791-100E0F59EBA3.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  81.2 KB

Thanks again Dr Nip......you are a fine man.

The mold is in great shape and will last a long time. For those who might be interested in this jig, I shall share.

There are seven sizes from 1/32 up to 1/4 and the mold is designed to use a #6 Do-It Whacky Hook in all sizes. This to create a compact design for dipping down into trees with fewer snags. The hook also points downward to assist with avoiding snags. Looks like just a regular Wide Gap hook to me though. The eye is at 60 degrees and this is supposed to use the line to bounce off of limbs early, vs wrapping around like 90 degree eyes do. The mold is not easy to prepare as the hooks are small and the wire keepers make everything a challenge to get aligned. I was getting partial pours and had to increase temperature of the lead up to 750, which is hot for me. Still got a few partials but that has to do with the shape of the cavity, and not much can be done about it.

My mold has been modified to accept 90 degree hooks and they insert much easier, and the wire keepers play a little better with them. I was able to insert a #2 in the 1/16th and a 2/0 in the 1/4. Suppose I could go bigger and smaller but the point is there is a nice range of possibilities to suit one’s style and preference.

One of the things I didn’t realize until I held one in my hand was that they are a wedge shape. This will allow them to swim a little differently than my other jig heads.

Name:  3D1ECB87-3204-4008-8841-315AF3C4554A.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  86.0 KB

I made some up with the 2/0 hooks so I can add blades and propellers and such and also made up with 1/0 as well with no wire keeper for tying in the vice. Skipping the wire keeper makes life so much better.

I am very happy to have been given this fine gift and plan to explore the possibilities of what it can make. The shape is cool and I can’t wait to get out there and fish a few.

BTW- I tried crinkle painting and suffered same as the rest of you. I got crinkled gray. I plan to keep trying though as I want that lizard look of the lime green version.
    Maybe they will bite this one……
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  097311B1-E192-4C97-8F94-778671DDBA8C.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  68.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting ties and the shape is different. Should be a good one in the conditions you describe.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  9380A779-E1D6-42B5-9146-4E28276EE19E.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  53.0 KB

1/16 oz tube jig.....Slim.

Bob- I plan to modify my setup tomorrow and see if I get more interest in my jigs. Basically I am in the middle of a five foot deep lake trolling through shad. I like the spinning blades and propellers and the protruding belly profiles.

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking ties
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast