HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Question On paining jig heads.

Post Thanks / Like

I was satisfied with most of mine until I saw Ryan's. I keep trying different ways and maybe it will click. I'm a dipper/tapper when it comes to painting using a Bic lighter for my heat source, no fluid bed.

Post Thanks / Like

I have dipped several of these since receiving the crinkle. The easiest color I have found is green chartreuse to work with silver crinkle. Dip the green chartreuse and reheat the jig before dipping in crinkle. When dipping in crinkle make sure it’s fast and tap off extra right away. I originally thought gray was the best but a flat black seems to work best. If it’s clumped you will have problems. Go back to the heat source. I found heat gun is the best. Alcohol burner works but not as well. Hold jig high 4 to 6 inches and heat slowly. The paint will turn silverish and you will start to see black spots start to form. Keep rotating and the black spots will turn into chartreuse. Keep rotating until you get it the way you want. I’ve baked some without going through the heat gun process. I’ve had some success but I’m using a cheap toaster oven. I’m sure a good consistent oven would get the same look. I originally thought I was melting the lead in the oven and over the heat gun if I got it to hot. It’s actually the silver paint running from the crinkle. Looks just like poured lead. The other colors I found to work the best are anything bright. White base and candy pink or orange comes through also.

im not sure if this is the intended way to apply this paint but I’m getting some decent results. It definitely can be frustrating at times.

DrNip is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I was speaking with someone else yesterday and he stated orange and pink didn’t show through well like I tried but that green chartreuse as well as a few other colors he tried did show well. I think a lot of trial and error is needed and still at that you’re going to get some crap ones. Lol
    Likes SuperDave336, Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on getting some crap ones here and there. I found the best for orange and pink is to use the white base coat then dipped in candy pink or candy orange. I love that color combo because it’s very bright. Blows the doors off of hot pink. I use it a lot. Then try the crinkle. The brighter the better to show through
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RyanGarr View Post
    Man, those are just too pretty to fish with. Works of art!!

ClearCreek
    Likes MCG1, Jamesdean, GrumpyLoomis, snake River LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What a rabbit hole this paint is. Some really cool results and it makes some great looking jigs.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice RG
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Good looking paint jobs RG!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like