Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocker switches / Running light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rocker switches / Running light

Two questions for this thread.

This is a 1997 Tracker ProTeam17 with 40hp Tracker (Mercury) bassboat. I bought it used a few years ago, so, don't know all I would like to and I don't have a manual. First, there are four rocker switches on the console. Nos. 2, 3, and 4, I figured out. Bilge pump is 2, live well fill is 3 and running lights are 4. What could No. 1 be? Probably something obvious, lol, but I can't figure it out. The writing is rubbed off, can't read it.

Ok, so, the running lights... the back one works. Front does not. I put the front red/green light in the back receptacle and it works, so, this means it isn't the front light gone bad. I used a multimeter on the back receptacle and I did get 12.5v and I got nothing on the front. I took the front receptacle out and the wires/connections look fine but I can't get a reading. I even stuck the sharp point of the multimeter leads into the wires and got nothing. I then went to the battery and unscrewed everything and put it back together and no change. How could I possibly diagnose/fix this?

The boat didn't get much use at all from the previous owner but he kept it sheltered and I really haven't used it a whole lot either.

It would be shame not to fix the front running light to use the existing front red/green light, wish I could fix it! It appears to me that it is between the bow and the battery. TIA!
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by livemusic View Post
    Two questions for this thread.

This is a 1997 Tracker ProTeam17 with 40hp Tracker (Mercury) bassboat. I bought it used a few years ago, so, don't know all I would like to and I don't have a manual. First, there are four rocker switches on the console. Nos. 2, 3, and 4, I figured out. Bilge pump is 2, live well fill is 3 and running lights are 4. What could No. 1 be? Probably something obvious, lol, but I can't figure it out. The writing is rubbed off, can't read it.

Ok, so, the running lights... the back one works. Front does not. I put the front red/green light in the back receptacle and it works, so, this means it isn't the front light gone bad. I used a multimeter on the back receptacle and I did get 12.5v and I got nothing on the front. I took the front receptacle out and the wires/connections look fine but I can't get a reading. I even stuck the sharp point of the multimeter leads into the wires and got nothing. I then went to the battery and unscrewed everything and put it back together and no change. How could I possibly diagnose/fix this?

The boat didn't get much use at all from the previous owner but he kept it sheltered and I really haven't used it a whole lot either.

It would be shame not to fix the front running light to use the existing front red/green light, wish I could fix it! It appears to me that it is between the bow and the battery. TIA!
    Your nav light problem is either a broken wire between the receptacle and the power source or a blown fuse. I’m guessing because the back one works it’s not a fuse. Have you checked the continuity of the wires?

As far as the rocker switch, your guess is as good as mine. My boat has a main rocker switch that kills everything. Maybe that’s it?

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That rocker switch should be a 2 position switch. Push one direction and front and rear lights should come on, then push it in the other direction and only stern light/anchor lite should come on. If you have tried it both directions and no bow lite then problem is from switch to lite. Usually corrosion on those slip on connections creates most problems.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes "G", Barnacle Bill, kycreek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The No. 1 is not a master switch, just tested it. Also, the No. 1 (mystery switch) and No. 3 (live well fill) switch are one-way push rocker. The No. 2 (bilge pump) and No. 4 (lights) switches are rockers that rock/function both ways. The No. 4 (lights) functions regardless which way you press it.

I'm not exactly a mechanical person, if it's between the battery and the bow, how could I figure it out? I mean, I can't see the wires, they are under the deck, obviously.
    ~~~
    Bill

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You may need to replace switch number 4....it is either not working right....or not wired right. My guess is, switch is bad. Also, You would probably get more answers if you post your boat problem and repair questions on the Mechanic board...click here https://www.crappie.com/crappie/mech...-and-trailers/
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    You may need to replace switch number 4....it is either not working right....or not wired right. My guess is, switch is bad.
    Thank you guys for answering. Are you surmising that No. 4 could be bad and causing the bow light not to work or just saying that it seems bad because it works either way? I note that the stern light works whichever way you press it, and according to what Cray said above, that is the way it should behave, right? The stern light should work whichever way you rock it?

EDIT: Oh... uh... the switch might not be delivering current to the bow.

EDIT 2: I note that there is a small light bulb under each of those four rocker switches, and they all work. The No.4 switch light bulb lights up whichever way you rock the switch. Does that indicate that this switch is good? Probably not, lol. I also checked all fuses and I didn't find any that looked burnt out. And after I got under the console and twisted around on that mass of wires and connections (a big mess is what it is!... that is what a mechanic told me one time) and took all the fuses out and reinserted, I tried the lights again, and nothing changed.
    Last edited by livemusic; 03-28-2021 at 07:00 PM.
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by livemusic View Post
    Thank you guys for answering. Are you surmising that No. 4 could be bad and causing the bow light not to work or just saying that it seems bad because it works either way? I note that the stern light works whichever way you press it, and according to what Cray said above, that is the way it should behave, right? The stern light should work whichever way you rock it?

EDIT: Oh... uh... the switch might not be delivering current to the bow.

EDIT 2: I note that there is a small light bulb under each of those four rocker switches, and they all work. The No.4 switch light bulb lights up whichever way you rock the switch. Does that indicate that this switch is good? Probably not, lol. I also checked all fuses and I didn't find any that looked burnt out. And after I got under the console and twisted around on that mass of wires and connections (a big mess is what it is!... that is what a mechanic told me one time) and took all the fuses out and reinserted, I tried the lights again, and nothing changed.

Your nav light #4 switch.. Push the top for both front and rear (boat under power) and the bottom for just rear (anchored).

Your bilge is probably an auto-manual. So press one way and it will go manual and run, press the other way and its auto so will kick on when water trips the float.

Your livewell switch... one way is going to be constant on and the other on a timer most likely.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have switches in the nose of the boat? My Ranger has four push button switches up there and one is Labeled Nav Lights. That one turns on just the stern light. If it is in the wrong position, only the stern light works.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin22 View Post
    Your nav light #4 switch.. Push the top for both front and rear (boat under power) and the bottom for just rear (anchored).

Your bilge is probably an auto-manual. So press one way and it will go manual and run, press the other way and its auto so will kick on when water trips the float.

Your livewell switch... one way is going to be constant on and the other on a timer most likely.
    Wow, now, this is interesting! Are you saying that regarding No. 4, the motor needs to be running for both lights to be on when I press the top? Now, that would be 'something' if this is the answer. I hope you can reply because the only way I can do this (run the motor) is drag the boat out of the carport and hook up the water hose!

As for your other comments, that's all interesting, I would never have known that without this thread.

If you're right, all could be working properly?

Whomever asked... I do not have these particular switches up front, they are at the console only.
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

No, your motor does not need to be running.. When I typed that I was concerned it might come across that way, but I didn't know how else to word it. To be legal, when the boat is moving under power after sunset and before sunrise the front red/green AND rear white need to be on. When you are anchored at night, just the rear white needs to be on. The front are your "under power" lights and the rear is called an "anchor" light.

Go ahead and put the front light in and press the switch forward (top of the switch down) and both the front and back should light up. Then when you press the switch down (press bottom of switch) just the rear should come on.

Switches up front was a Ranger Boats thing, I think they might have actually had a patent on that at one time! My old ranger had it, and I cant tell you how many times the trolling motor cable tripped a switch on accident. I ended up disconnecting all my bow switches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast