HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taylorsville

Post Thanks / Like

Pan Fish
    What’s the deal with the fish there?
    Not many black crappie and the white crappie are small?
    I’ve only been fishing there 4 years.
    Never caught a fish over 1 1/2 lb.
    I intentionally rigged my jigs with odd colored plastic today hoping the fish hadn’t seen the color combo before.
    I got to Settlers about 7:30 and probably 25 boat trailers in lot.
    I’ll probably go back because it gives me screen time on Livescope but never rely on taking home too many sandwiches.Its a good a good place to practice because of abundance of fish.
    Chuck

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Adams View Post
    Pan Fish
    What’s the deal with the fish there?
    Not many black crappie and the white crappie are small?
    I’ve only been fishing there 4 years.
    Never caught a fish over 1 1/2 lb.
    I intentionally rigged my jigs with odd colored plastic today hoping the fish hadn’t seen the color combo before.
    I got to Settlers about 7:30 and probably 25 boat trailers in lot.
    I’ll probably go back because it gives me screen time on Livescope but never rely on taking home too many sandwiches.Its a good a good place to practice because of abundance of fish.
    Chuck

One thing I've noticed at Taylorsville is that the Black Crappie seem to mingle in with the Whites a lot more than other lakes I've fished. No big surprise to me to catch two or three Whites off a spot & then the next fish be a Black Crappie.

As far as big fish in numbers, I haven't seen that or heard it over the last few years ... except during the spawning period, and even then it's not as many reports as the years before. I'm thinking that once the word got out about the 12-15" fish being caught the lake got a lot more pressure than normal, especially during the spawning periods when water levels were stable. Several years of that happening may have depleted most of those bigger fish, then plus the raising of the size limit put more pressure on the remaining keeper size fish & now we may have to wait another year or two for all these 9.5" fish to survive and grow to those Slab size lengths.

And yet, the KDFWR 2021 Taylorsville forecast for Crappie is "good to excellent"
    Thanks dannyr3_8, Chuck Adams thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Same report here. 2 of us fished Sunday 60 plus fish with 9 keepers. Plenty of boats. Lost count of the 9 1/2 in fish we caught. Water was just a touch cleaner around the dam area.

Thanks dannyr3_8 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

CHuck I really dont know what happen to the Fish. I fished thru there before there was a lake fishing the river. Caught good Crappie. Started fishing the lake once it was ready.
    Back then you would catch a bunch of 8 to 10 inch Crappie. You didnt see then Crappie fishing like today. F&W put a size limit hoping to make it bigger Crapie lake. My thinking could be wrong. When they put hybrids in kind of hurt the Crappie. They love to eat Crappie. I dont know. I dont know what it will take to make the lake better for Crappie.
    I use to fish Green River lake a bunch also. It is just about the sameway. You will catch a bunch of small fish before catching a 9 inch keeper.
    I go to Ky Lake first of April each year. This year will be second week because got some work to do before i can go. We stay till mothers day. We catch Crappie there. Seems like you will catch a 10 inch keeper about every 3rd fish. With the Carp issue there really hurt the Crappie. But Ky Lake is a bigger lake with river systems feeding it. My thinking there is that helps on Crappe numbers. Tville has Salt River to feed it and not as big as Ky Lake which may not help Crappie much. I dont know just my thinking.
    YES its fun to catch Crappie but like to catch a mess of keepers once in a while to.
    PAPPIE I have noticed that to. You will catch Whites right in with the Blacks at Tville. Me either dont understand that. Other lakes you will catch Blacks first of the spwan then the Whites right after. With the fishing pressure the last few years Tville i believe it has hurt Crappie. Same with Green River lake to. Dont know what it will take to fix it.
    Thanks dannyr3_8 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

When this lake got hot about 4-5 years ago, the word got out. The lake has been pounded ever since. Last year it was amazing to see how many people were spider rigging and trolling cranks and jigs... and catching fish. This was all pre-spawn, spawn and post spawn by my observation but there were tons of boats every time I went. I did talk to the creel survey gentleman up near Chowning one day last year. He said that F&W was concerned about all the fish being taken out of the lake and asked if I would support an 11" size limit. Personally, I would but I don't really know the biology behind size limits. An 11" fish is so much better than a 10" fish. I also know the assistant director of fisheries at F&W and he said that a move to the 11" size range is really not in the plan right now.

Post Thanks / Like

What good would a 11 inch size limit do??? You cant catch a 10 inch size limit now. And what would lowering the creel limit from 15 to down to 10??? Can hardly catch 15. Years ago F&W lower it from 60 to 30. From 30 to 20. 20 to 15 and uped the size limit. Thats not working.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newlight View Post
    Went Saturday. Day started out cold and slow. Water very stained and 49 degrees but eventually got to 54. Tried finding fish suspended in deep water but no luck. Moved closer to the bank and found them anywhere from 12'-15' in 25' of water. Two of us caught 70-80 fish on minnows but only 8 keepers. Lots of fish in the 9"-9 1/2" class but plenty a lot smaller than that. BTW, good luck finding bait. Elmer's was out, Settlers Trace is leveled and Briar Ridge has a few. Does anyone know if Karem's sells minnows?
    Karen’s does sell minnows but they sell out too so call first 267-5323

Post Thanks / Like

Most definitely all the keepers are gone. Y’all should definitely fish Green/Rough/Barren on the weekends that I’m off.
    Likes dannyr3_8, CentKyPaddler LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BCO View Post
    Most definitely all the keepers are gone. Y’all should definitely fish Green/Rough/Barren on the weekends that I’m off.
    ... you won't have any competition from me on weekends. It's bad enough during the week, what with all the rippers & runners, wave makers, and such.

Heck, I'm not all that stoked to fish Green on a weekend, for much of the same reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Just need to get livescope dialed in and you can pick them while you rip down the lake!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast