HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Warm thermal underwear

Post Thanks / Like

I used to winter camp. Yes, sleep in a tent while it's snowing. After 50 years of tent camping I bought a 5th wheel. How you dress depends entirely on your outdoor activity. The first rule of winter activities is not to sweat. Sweat is your enemy. Back in the day wool and goose down was king, and are still extremely hard to beat. Wool will keep you warm even when wet. Down is the warmest material, until it gets wet and then your done. Today's modern synthetics have there place and purpose, but they are not the end-all-be-all. Layering is the most effective when active. Material doesn't matter. The goal is to not sweat. The more active you become the more layers you take off. The slower you move the more layers you put on. Today they call it base layer, mid weight layer, top layer, and outer layer.
    I personally find fleece to be the warmest material next to the skin, however it provides 0 resistance to wind. It needs an windproof outer shell. Carhart bibs an jacket provide the best coverage and will keep you warm while sitting around. I still wear cotton in teh winter.

I have a routine for cold weather fishing on open water (ice out). I wear cotton skivvies, cotton socks, blue jeans, cotton t-shirt, and fleece lined jacket from the house to the ramp. Once the boat is launched I switch clothes. Strip off the cotton socks and put on wool ones. Strip off the t-shirt and put on a long sleeve turtle neck. Swap out the hiking shoes for winter boots. Swap teh fleece lined jacket for Carhart bibs and coat. swap the ball cap for a stocking cap, prefer something windproof like the style worn up north with ear flaps.

This routine is two fold. I'm not sweating in my fishing clothes while I load the boat, hook up the boat, travel and unload the boat. Plus I have a pair of "dry" clothes in the truck incase I go for a swim on accident. Hyperthermia is no joke. I once had it so bad I couldn't stop shaking for a whole day, no matter what I did to get warm.

I could go on. I used to teach Scouts and their parents how to winter camp.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes Damion Kidd, silverside, RogerA LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We have an Under Armour discount store close....you can also get it cheap at the end of the season on the website clearance.
    I get the Base 4.0 and their Wool Base hunting stuff for cold temps, then their wool socks, and windproof outer layers. treat your feet the same, first is a wicking layer then wool socks...your feet will stay dry. wool can still insulate even wet!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Merino wool. There is nothing better.

Warm, comfortable, low odor, highly wicking. 170-200 gram is lightweight for active sports, 230-260 gram is midweight better for sitting, then there is thick stuff.

**There are 2 main drawbacks to merino: Price and durability. It's not going to last a decade like synthetic will.
    Likes EarlWaynetom, Tenn Tux LIKED above post
    Thanks silverside thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wear UA cold gear or Terramar ECWS GI-style fleece long underwear. Typically 3.0 weight. No cotton. I use it hunting and fishing. An IDI Gear jacket provides rain and wind protection, as well as extra flotation if I was to ever fall in.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave336 View Post
    I have some under armour base layers I like. Since I'm in kayak I don't wear anything cotton in case it gets wet.
    I have a set of the UA base layers and they are warm. Great for long sit on stand. The only thing I dont like about them is they fit really tight. And yes, I got a size larger.

Post Thanks / Like

The old heavy cotton long johns are probably the least expensive and they are warm. They are horrible if you are active, you will sweat like a monkey. SuperDave is right, if they get wet your not only wet but cold. I deer hunt a lot and spend hours on stand and I love 100% merino wool. Wool doesn't loose its insulating properties when wet. Whatever you choose, remember to layer!

Post Thanks / Like

spray your feet with a dry antiperspirant before putting on your socks especially the bottoms.

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbowling View Post
    spray your feet with a dry antiperspirant before putting on your socks especially the bottoms.
    Never heard of that but a great tip.

Foxy Jig is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    I used to winter camp. Yes, sleep in a tent while it's snowing. After 50 years of tent camping I bought a 5th wheel. How you dress depends entirely on your outdoor activity. The first rule of winter activities is not to sweat. Sweat is your enemy. Back in the day wool and goose down was king, and are still extremely hard to beat. Wool will keep you warm even when wet. Down is the warmest material, until it gets wet and then your done. Today's modern synthetics have there place and purpose, but they are not the end-all-be-all. Layering is the most effective when active. Material doesn't matter. The goal is to not sweat. The more active you become the more layers you take off. The slower you move the more layers you put on. Today they call it base layer, mid weight layer, top layer, and outer layer.
    I personally find fleece to be the warmest material next to the skin, however it provides 0 resistance to wind. It needs an windproof outer shell. Carhart bibs an jacket provide the best coverage and will keep you warm while sitting around. I still wear cotton in teh winter.

I have a routine for cold weather fishing on open water (ice out). I wear cotton skivvies, cotton socks, blue jeans, cotton t-shirt, and fleece lined jacket from the house to the ramp. Once the boat is launched I switch clothes. Strip off the cotton socks and put on wool ones. Strip off the t-shirt and put on a long sleeve turtle neck. Swap out the hiking shoes for winter boots. Swap teh fleece lined jacket for Carhart bibs and coat. swap the ball cap for a stocking cap, prefer something windproof like the style worn up north with ear flaps.

This routine is two fold. I'm not sweating in my fishing clothes while I load the boat, hook up the boat, travel and unload the boat. Plus I have a pair of "dry" clothes in the truck incase I go for a swim on accident. Hyperthermia is no joke. I once had it so bad I couldn't stop shaking for a whole day, no matter what I did to get warm.

I could go on. I used to teach Scouts and their parents how to winter camp.
    great post man! Love carhart and agree about fleece next to the skin. Fleece pajama bottoms under some bibs work great

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    In this kind of weather..one base later is down pants. And reasonably priced. Amazon.com
    Same here, I don't handle the cold like I used to. I wear polar weight long underwear, down long underwear and insulated bibs. Also hand warmers in the pockets because i can't wear gloves and fish. I'll stay out a good six hours , even longer if they are biting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123