HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prayers for our South Louisiana Friends

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Washington, not bad from 3:00- 7:45,.....then the eye passed right by us. Front and rear doors shook, sounded like a tornado for 3 hours.
    Thank God for His hand of protection, just lost shingles...
    No power since 7:45pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you were ok. I was just a few miles N in Cottonport and same bad conditions, we lost power around 10 pm. After the eye passed about 3 am and the wind switched to the NW is when I got concerned. The wind was coming across an open field and was shaking the metal building we were in, it was pulsing not a steady constant wind. Never experienced anything like that before in my life. Came home to Brouillette this morning and to my suprise the power was just restored, thank goodness I'll be able to sleep in my own bed and have AC. No damage this time. The bayou in front of the house is just about out of its banks, it's reported we had almost 10" of rain. On a good note construction on the new addition and metal roofed porch can continue on Monday.
    You know me, I'm always ready for a road trip. Chip Newest member of Traveling Team Overalls

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you got them all MO but we had a close call with Sally pointing at us until the last minute when it went to Gulf Shores.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Likes MO Slab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Chip, that’s the worst wind I’ve ever been through....Wind reports say Opelousas got 75mph
    Lake Charles 95 mph

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Romans 6:23

Post Thanks / Like

Winds are very scary. I went through Betsy in 1965 with winds of 130 to 140 mph in the city of Thibodeaux, La. We were in my in-laws upstairs home over their shoe store. From that vantage point we could see the action over the town. We saw hundreds of transformers blow, roofs flying and buildings being destroyed. Since then when they speak of winds in excess of 60 mph I evacuate. The following year Linda went through hurricane Hilda with two young children in a small shotgun house while her husband was helping secure the plant where he worked and by the time he got home the road were impassable so they had to stay. She too will not stay for another one.

"gene"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PawPaw "gene" View Post
    Winds are very scary. I went through Betsy in 1965 with winds of 130 to 140 mph in the city of Thibodeaux, La. We were in my in-laws upstairs home over their shoe store. From that vantage point we could see the action over the town. We saw hundreds of transformers blow, roofs flying and buildings being destroyed. Since then when they speak of winds in excess of 60 mph I evacuate. The following year Linda went through hurricane Hilda with two young children in a small shotgun house while her husband was helping secure the plant where he worked and by the time he got home the road were impassable so they had to stay. She too will not stay for another one.

"gene"
    Hey PPG,

U betcha winds are scary. During Andrew, I was outside talking to a neighbor when a big pine limb blew out of a tree across da street headed straight for me. I got back in da house for the remainder of da storm.

Just for clarification Hilda wuz the in 64 a year before Betsy in 65. Of course dat's way before my time.
    Ephesians 1:13

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you JR on the dates, been so long ago but I'll never forget the wind.
    "gene"

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a little kid then. We spent the 65 storm on a rig service boat tied up with a bunch of Tidex Marine oil rig boats. We were on the smallest one. I remember looking out the door's porthole and watching trees with about 6 inch diameter or so, fly by. Was exciting. We lived in a rent house on 3rd street in Morgan City then. When we got home a big pecan tree had fallen on the garage lengthwise. Did not hurt the house. In 74 I think, we had a storm heading to Ft. Walton Beach(Carmen) where I was stationed at Eglin AFB. We were told to evacuate. So my wife and I talked some friends stationed there into going to Morgan City. Told him we could fish a couple days. Well that one turned and came straight up the Atchafalaya river. We were stuck with no power, phones or gas to get back. We made it back 5 days later and were told we were AWOL. We had to go in front of the base commander and explain. We got in no trouble. I think it was 1975 Eloise hit there. I volunteered to help clean up in the community. We were issued axes and hand saws and worked at that for 4 days. Best thing, we found a tree full of honey. We got several gallons. Man it was good.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

In 1969 I was living and working in Buras, La. Camille devasted everything Empire south in Louisiana. I rode it out on the south side of New Orleans; it wasn't too bad there. Two days later water was waist deep on the highway in front of the place I had been renting; it was gone. There was a 30-40' boat setting in a substation; it had came over the river levie. Below Buras it had actually moved slabs brick homes had been on. I was working for a cable TV company. We had amplifiers every 1100', we saved three....

Sent from my SM-T510 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes PawPaw Gene LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like many of us have stories to pass on to our grandkids. Glad we all made it through.
    "gene"
    Likes Southern Chuter LIKED above post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast