HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How much have you spent to go fishing?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

First thing I ever bought with my "own money" was a Ambassador 5500c baitcast reel for the exorbitant price of $50. (50+ yrs ago)
    My first boat (used) --- $2000 (1970's)
    My second boat (new) --- $5200 (1980's)
    My present boat (used) --- $6000
    The rest of the fishing related equipment costs & trip costs --- many, many thousands of $$
    I always already had a vehicle capable of towing the boat I had at the time.

But, it's been my main pleasure/hobby since I was a kid (1950's) ... so if I extrapolated the costs out over the years, pretty cheap hobby all in all ... and I still have more rods/reels/baits than I could possibly use up over another couple of lifetimes.

Join in on all the contests & you may end up with some equipment/baits for free ... attend any Crappie.com "get-togethers" in your area & you may end up with some more equipment/baits (& a hearty meal) for free. (gas/lodging excluded)
    Likes funfishers LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    You can spend as much or as little as you like.
    That’s it in a nutshell. Spend what you can afford and enjoy what you have.
    Bob
    Likes GREENFISH, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you think regular fishing's expensive, try offshore fishing! One day I was laying on a bean bag in the back of the offshore boat and looked up and counted the costs of the rod/reels that were in the rodholders and it was in the 6 digit range. That's not even the cost of the boat, fuel, other terminal tackle, bait, ice, etc.!

I love the simple, cheap nature of freshwater fishing. $8 in truck gas and about $1 in boat gas. $1.50 for a bag of ice. Handful of hairjigs and nibbles. Shiners sometimes. Less than $20 per trip and worth every penny!

I don't regret a single dollar ever spent on fishing. Can't say the same for a lot of other things in my life!
    Likes GREENFISH LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have spent 80 percent of my life on fishing.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Billbob, JET4, Olegiller1, Redge, GREENFISH, chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    That’s it in a nutshell. Spend what you can afford and enjoy what you have.
    Bob
    Yep, not sure where you are but here in S. Louisiana you don't need a boat because there's freshwater and saltwater fishing everywhere. You don't even need a rod and reel. Years ago, my dad taught me and my brothers fishing with hand lines around an aluminum can. Had just as much fun then as today! Maybe more.

Post Thanks / Like

Spent some bucks on foolish stuff. The worst was $100 for a custom spinning rod built on a fly 7 1/2' blank . He put tiny eyes on most of the length. Looked nice but wouldn't cast. A catfish pulled it off my lap when I let down my guard in a float tube. I really don't miss it. A couple years ago I made many trips for bluegill 50 miles each way. 10 fish limit.
    I look at money spent for fishing is a simple investment in sanity. I would bet the domestic terrorists trying to destroy our country aren't much into the fishing thing.
    Likes S10CHEVY, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really want to know how much I've spent. This year has probably been the most expensive. Bought new Garmin Electronics this year around 5K, new rods and reels, around 500, new battery 200, rod and reels cover 100. Have an old 2 stroke motor, spent about 200 on it not counting props, another 150 or so on props.

Recently bought a 2nd boat as a winter project to redo for electric only lakes 3500 for the hull and trailer. I'm sure its not going to be cheap to get it set up the way I want it. In the end if it works out the way I want it will be worth every penny.

About a half hour ago my daughter in law texted wanting to know if we could go fishing this weekend. Things like that are what makes it worthwhile.
    Likes GREENFISH, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I consider any money that I DON'T spend on fishing as wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Much less that the cost of a therapist....

I drag raced for 20 years and can tell you with absolute assurance that fishing is cheaper. I spend too much fishing but you are gonna spend it on something. Some of the best fishermen I know are older and use very little to get it done. Main thing is to have fun no matter what....
    Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

Wear that PFD, the life you save might be your own!!

Post Thanks / Like

JCLA, if I had it all to do over, knowing what at know now, I would spent a whole lot less than I have done. I have a prediction that in about 20 years the boating industry will be revolutionized by the kayak industry. You are young, spent what you need to get started based also on what you can afford, be content with what you have and realize that almost everyone of us have way more than we need or will ever use. Be a minimalist and enjoy the fruits of your efforts. And, if you have a family, involve them in the sport. You'll have a ball and I know we all look forward to your reports.
    Likes Blackjeepjk, Fastdrop, S10CHEVY, Cane Pole LIKED above post

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast