HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to shell crackers ... need help

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty new to redears as well, got 2 years under my belt with them. First year was slow, pretty unproductive, but it was all learning... Last year all the homework really payed off, and got on them every month of the year. Others mileage will vary, but I found the fish FAR more predictable outside of spawning season, and nearly always willing to cooperate. And once you find features that hold fish, they will probably be there all year long...wont do you much good at the present, but after bedding season, look for sand/gravel flats with a fairly pronounced edge leading into deeper water. Summer time, they seemed to like to scatter around on the flats in the early hours, moving back to the edge of the drop off as the day heated up. Fall, same location, but reverse the pattern..(edge early, on the flat as it warmed). Winter time, same location, except the seemed to use the edge of the drop or even move down a little deeper. Early spring, same as fall. Nice sensitive GRAPHITE rod, for bite detection. Rigs and bait, I keep it very simple... 1/3 to 1/2 of a nightcrawler on a drop shot rig, with the hook no more than 8" from the weight (gotta be close to the bottom) Fish it slow! I found using a single rod in hand with that rig, Ive gotten VERY, VERY few, if any, deep hooked fish. However, do have plenty of extra terminal tackle, you WILL tie in to other critters, and you will get hung up onī occasion. (sometimes you may not get everything back) If I had to pick one depth to start looking on ANY given day, I'd go with 12'. Again, I'm no pro by any means, I just got advice from others, took it out onto the lake and kept at it until it came together for me. Good luck!!
    Likes catchNgrease, redearhoosier LIKED above post
    Thanks Two Dog thanked you for this post

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KScott View Post
    Pretty new to redears as well, got 2 years under my belt with them. First year was slow, pretty unproductive, but it was all learning... Last year all the homework really payed off, and got on them every month of the year. Others mileage will vary, but I found the fish FAR more predictable outside of spawning season, and nearly always willing to cooperate. And once you find features that hold fish, they will probably be there all year long...wont do you much good at the present, but after bedding season, look for sand/gravel flats with a fairly pronounced edge leading into deeper water. Summer time, they seemed to like to scatter around on the flats in the early hours, moving back to the edge of the drop off as the day heated up. Fall, same location, but reverse the pattern..(edge early, on the flat as it warmed). Winter time, same location, except the seemed to use the edge of the drop or even move down a little deeper. Early spring, same as fall. Nice sensitive GRAPHITE rod, for bite detection. Rigs and bait, I keep it very simple... 1/3 to 1/2 of a nightcrawler on a drop shot rig, with the hook no more than 8" from the weight (gotta be close to the bottom) Fish it slow! I found using a single rod in hand with that rig, Ive gotten VERY, VERY few, if any, deep hooked fish. However, do have plenty of extra terminal tackle, you WILL tie in to other critters, and you will get hung up onī occasion. (sometimes you may not get everything back) If I had to pick one depth to start looking on ANY given day, I'd go with 12'. Again, I'm no pro by any means, I just got advice from others, took it out onto the lake and kept at it until it came together for me. Good luck!!
    You should post more often. Alot more often.

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes redearhoosier, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Warms are hard to beat but I will tell you they love 1/100 to 1/32 hair jigs. I fish with 2lb line to help get the light jigs down to them faster, and it makes them feel like mules when you stick one. They have always been one of my favorite fish to catch.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catchNgrease View Post
    You should post more often. Alot more often.

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Man, I don't feel anywhere near the caliber of some on here....Lol. The 9 to 10.5" fish that usually make up my catch don't seem all that impressive... ��

Post Thanks / Like

This is wonderful information, thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12