HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $18,000 budget, what you buying?

Post Thanks / Like

What do you have as a tow vehicle, what methods do you use to fish (single pole jigging, spider rigging etc. How many people typically fish with you. Do you fish big lakes or small bodies of water. Need a little more information to give solid advice.
    Likes LA CrappieMaster, silverside, badbull LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

2500 on a boat and a new ride for the wife , win win
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes LA CrappieMaster LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
    What do you have as a tow vehicle, what methods do you use to fish (single pole jigging, spider rigging etc. How many people typically fish with you. Do you fish big lakes or small bodies of water. Need a little more information to give solid advice.
    Half-ton Chevy with the 6.2. I single pole most of the time, but do plan to do some spiderrigging. Not sure if I’ll ever pull/push cranks. Majority of the time 1-2 people and small bodies of water. I’ll likely do some bream fishing with the kids from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

Post Thanks / Like

I would highly recommend a four stroke for a motor...
    >>>-----------> Make It Count!!! <><
    Likes LA CrappieMaster, ArkieJason LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Right now I wouldn’t do anything with it. Give this mess we are in a few more weeks and toys are going to get cheaper and cheaper. For that money you going to find some real bargains out there. For your fishing I’d be concentrating on 18 aluminum with 4 stroke motor.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TigerFanatic1 View Post
    Most likely used tin, since that will give me best bang for buck. Immediately fish.
    ETA - Haven’t ruled out a Nitro fiberglass.
    Be VERY careful with used Nitro/Tracker boats. BPS is bad about putting on small motors to hit a price point. I'm not saying they're horrible boats, but ANY underpowered boat will just tick you off.

When it comes to aluminum boats, try to get a welded hull over a riveted hull. Aluminum boats are lighter and can get blown around easier than a heavier fiberglass boat. However, they need less power to get up on plane and are much more nimble. Find a local prop shop that can work on aluminum props. Aluminum is difficult to weld, but that prop shop may be kind enough to do welding on the hull if you ever need it -- I had a freak accident where my rear corner got stuck under a dock and when I went to leave, it peeled back the top corner.

Aluminum or not, don't leave it outside uncovered. The decks are still made of plywood and will rot. Always carry an extra boat plug in the bilge area (make sure it fits!)
    Likes LA CrappieMaster, Erin Brewer LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above statement. Patients now could give you a lot of buying power
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes LA CrappieMaster LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, I think you are right. Right now, I’m struggling to find fair deals. 3-4 year old Tracker 175s for $16,000+. I wouldn’t consider some terrible prices, if it weren’t for taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    I agree with the above statement. Patients now could give you a lot of buying power
    Patients or patience? Freudian slip maybe! ,000 budget, what you buying?,000 budget, what you buying?
    Likes redfin00 LIKED above post

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast