HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Want to focus on pan fishing this year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leomort View Post
    Question for you guys. Is my impression that most of you rarely use 1/8 oz jig heads? That usually the heaviest preferred is 1/16 and 1/32 oz?
    The simple reason for the smallest jigs is because gills have tiny mouths.

Post Thanks / Like

Good tips and suggestions. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Trout Magnet stuff arrived today. Want to focus on pan fishing this year
    Name:  IMG_9531.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  100.8 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

TXPanfisher, Cool! Did you buy extra bodies as well? I couldn't tell the colors that well. Thanks!
    Likes D10 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Want to focus on pan fishing this year

Yep, I bought the panfish kit on amazon.

Ordered the rest of the stuff from the TM website. Took 2 days to get here from Arkansas.

The colors in the packages are Bison, Sow Bug, Red, and Black. There’s also a small pack of chartreuse next to the kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You’re all set. Please report back with your results. Love to know the colors that worked for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of these suggestions have probably been posted, but I suggest them anyway. My personal opinion and in my experience dictate these.

I am a bank fisherman. I just bought a set of panfish magnets from BPS so I want to give those try. Perhaps under a bobber and casting, although I suspect I wont be casting those 1/64 oz jig heads very far.

Crappie Magnets cast a good distance even using 1/64 oz. I go with 1/32, 1/24, 1/16 oz. jigs. Forget the float with lures that heavy.

I'm not sure about Beetle Spins as I have my own spinner arms to attach to jig heads and I use curly tail grubs.
    Curl tails and straight tail grubs catch fish using the B.Spin. The size of the jig head and plastic lure is important !

In your opinion, how effective is the split-tail beetle? Wondering if anyone has tried used the beetle bodies by themselves? trying to cast/retrieve?
    Like any small lure, split tails and spike tails work great when rigged on light ball heads jigs and fan cast at the right depth.

Colors:
    Not a fan of red* or black when it comes to small plastics. There are more colors that work than you can shake a fishing rod at. (* red or black body/ chartreuse tail is okay). The color selection on CrappieMagnet.com are all you ever need to chose from with 1 or 2 that will work for most soft plastics 100 % of the time. I even do well using clear color plastic:

Float fishing:
    I've been using hair jigs under a float since last year and done well. Magnets also have their moments, curl tails not at all. Remember to set the proper depth fish are hitting depending on the depth fished. I could be 1.5' or 3' under the float - discover which.
    Tied a hair jig using my dog's hair under a float:

Crankbaits:
    There are Rapala floating crankbaits that do well as well as some small medium divers.

Line:
    My preference is braid. KastKing (Ebay) 8# test/2 # diameter. Casts far from a spincast or spinning reel; sensitive to the strike; no stretch; no memory (no curls to screw up the reel). Some use fluorocarbon leaders, but if I find fish, I catch fish using braid.

Important note:
    lure size, lure action, presentation (retrieve type and speed) are the most important considerations. Find lures that catch fish and always carry a few. There are hundreds to chose from.

Good luck.
    Thanks Fishfishwish thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do any of y'all use a TM body on a 1/32 jig head & number 6 hook?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TXPanfisher View Post
    I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TXPanfisher View Post
    I do quite often. Of course my jig heads are in grams but yes I use the equivalent to 1/32 with #6....#8.....#10. I also use it on 1/16 often with the same hook sizes.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks BobC thanked you for this post

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast