HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lakes Are Getting Busy!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lakes Are Getting Busy!

I went fishing today and got to the ramp maybe 20 minutes after daylight and to my surprise there wasnt anybody there. Now I wasnt expecting it to be full at this time of the morning but I was expecting to have to get in a short line to get launched. Anyway, before I could get in the water two more trucks with boats arrived so I felt I was in the right place. I got launched and checked out a few places and began fishing when I started seeing boats coming from different directions.

Some were bass boats. Some were pontoons looking for spots to fish. A few were striper boats. And then some were crappie fishermen. Even watched a pontoon catfishing with @ 15/20 rods around the anchored pontoon. I thought...Wow! A good many out today but then again it was Saturday.

Anyhow, I fished a spot or two, then moved around some. Found folks fishing almost everywhere I went. Wasnt overcrowded by any means....just people fishing. I was actually relieved seeing folks out having fun fishing instead of worrying about the virus staying shut in for Christ sake!

Anyway, fished a few spots catching some pretty decent fish here and there. Moved a few times and dropped lines picking up a few more. Fish seemed to be scattered , atleast the ones willing to bite, but it was just interesting enough to stay after 'em. Finished my last spot @ 1PM and decided to call it a day because I had plenty of fish to clean AND 20 'mater plants at home that I wanted to get in the ground today. At the ramp there was a fair amount of trucks/trailers but mothing like a full parking lot. I figured....oh well!

Now....here's what blew me away! I was probably 30 minutes from home and on the way there I met boat after boat after boat! Almost every vehicle I met seemed to be pulling some kind of water vessel. There were crappie fishermen's boats, met a wake board boat, met trucks pulling jet skis, even met a pontoon loaded down with inner tubes and floats. Lots of pontoons and pleasure boats too. In all....probably met 20 trucks/boats during that short ride from the ramp to town.

Guys...not sure about your lakes but it looks like mine is fixing to get real BUSY in a very short time. And...it's only Easter weekend. Somebody needs to tell these folks to WAIT until atleast Memorial Weekend!! Geez...

Oh, the fishing...……….caught a lot of fish keeping a good many quality (filleting sized) fish with a few hawgs in the mix. A few fish were STILL holding all their eggs (white crappie mostly) but for the most part the black crappie have moved back off the banks looking for food in the 10'-15' depths. And in most cases the shad isn't that hard for them to find.

Didn't carry a camera along but did manage to take a cooler shot at the house. Here's the fish I brought home... Good luck to you guys. It'll be another weekend before I get to go again.

Name:  04-11-20  0001.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  91.9 KB
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
    Thanks engineman06 thanked you for this post

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Butch,
    congrats on a nice day of fishing and a box full of quality fish , that going to make some good meals for sure !!!!

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"
    Likes gabowman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good trip Butch. Can't wait to get my boat out.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Nice mess of fish Butch!!

Sent from my VS501 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Butch it's good to see you putting the crappie in the boat and I really enjoyed reading your report. Congrats on the catch and trip.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Two weekends ago I fished on Friday and Sunday. Good fishing and pretty quiet. The weekend after I fished on a Saturday and found a bass tournament (at least one, maybe more) still going on in the midst of all this along with plenty of fishing/pleasure boaters. Went late Saturday afternoon this weekend and most had called it a day. I could tell it had been crowded as some folks were still parked a long way from the ramp in spite of the only half full parking lot. I imagine there will be record numbers in the months ahead. So I'd recommend getting there in the dark early morning or giving night fishing a try if you don't like crowds.
    Remember....Good Things Come to Those Who Bait......
    Likes gabowman, NCkenner, burdawg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My fear is the governor will yield to commercial pressure and open everything prematurely. I want to go as much of more as the next guy but I fear a repeat of a few weeks ago.
    As fishermen we seek solitude and quiet, but there is a much larger group that only pleasure boat and their main objective is to cluster up in groups of dozens if not hundreds, blast their speakers and enjoy adult beverages.
    I have absolutely no problem with this. Matter of fact I've been part of that group a few times.
    My fear is opening this before the threat is gone may result in a worse shutdown than before.
    Thanks gabowman thanked you for this post

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everything you said Ray. I hope for my little area of the world that people wont forget and quit taking it seriously. There has been very little actual confirmed cases here in my county (6 now, the number doubled yesterday) and I woulnt want folks thinking it "wont happen to them" because it still can. Social distancing I believe is still the key.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
    Likes burdawg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that all the SC COE ramps are closed and the Georgia ones are open. Figured the Fed would be all one way.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice box of fish
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast