Thread: Tied a couple

tlefire is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappie will like them just fine.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90 four stroke
    Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Livescope Terrova 24v Ionic lithium batteries

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Those will do fine James, save room in the cooler for some fish when you get em wet. I use a lot of small kip lately, real durable. Also take 4 or 5 V’s on a head like you used for the kip and keep the thread as short as you can and still make em tough. Been using lots of those and they’re doing very well. Naked heads too. Doesn’t get any simpler. Fish pictures when you get those jigs in the picture wet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the advice skeetbum...it's either been bone chillin' cold, or wet, or both lately. I can deal with the wet better than the cold, but together and my knee and back takes over and I'm done. Started to go today, but before I could get out the door the wind and rain started again. looked at the weather on the phone and said it was 34 deg. and felt like 22 deg. No since in going as I wouldn't make it from truck to the water before knee gave. been there done that and not fun. Supposed to get warmer soon. Hoping to get in and see doc this coming week and see what we can do with the knee. lots of icy hot, ice packs and a brace...just have to see. I know one thing...getting old with a banged up body ain't for sissies...
    I officially became an "OLD FART" yesterday according to my granddaughter...Turned 62...
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph
    Likes GrumpyLoomis, skeetbum LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait til she gets a few years on her, she’ll understand a lot better. I’ll give her an old fart!! Hope you find a way to get comfortable enough to get some water time. And soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Skeetbum, she's giving me a bad time...Albeit she's just 19...I injured my L4-L5 area in my back and messed up my knees in the service years ago, and really paying for it now...Some day's My left knee is swollen up like a foot ball, and feels like someone is in there with a hot iron shoving it around. And that's before I try to stand and move around...And let's not get into weather changes...
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    Likes hankll LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Bet they work just fine
    Thanks Jamesdean thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks deepfry. I had never heard of the Possum hair zonkers before. This last fall I was over at a lake here that has a walk across bridge and struck up a conversation with an older gent, guessing he was in his 80's. He was eyeing my lure containers and seen I had some hand tied jigs. He remembered a time he lived in Nebraska and a friend of his was killing crappie on some Possum hair jigs. Never said how the guy was tying them, and I found the zonkers in a local fly tying shop and thought what the heck. I might try cutting the hair off a piece and tie a couple like the kiptail jig and compare the two and see if it makes a difference to the crappie...
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That’s good thinking. You may not like it but it’s sure worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are 4 I just finished with Skeetbum...Name:  20200317_195322.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  53.9 KB I don't think they turned out too bad. I will say that hair is very fine though...I might try adding some flash next time, but going to try these as they are first. Oh ya...these are 1/32 oz with #6 red sickles care of a member here on CDC, "Bugman" at Simply Crappy.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, those will do fine. While you’re in experiment mode, try this. Use about 1/3 of the hair and shorten it up to about 1/4” past the end of the hook. Don’t tie a bunch til the fish vote but I’m finding that my skimpy jigs, which I tied on a whim, are doing great. Hope it works as well for you.

And Bugman is a stand up guy, like his work.
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast