HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 152223242526272835 ... LastLast

Thread: JDM lines relating to panfish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    Was wondering if any who have these lines have done any distance testing.

Regards
    I’ll try to collect some data tomorrow if it isn’t too windy.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Matt Schroeder - AGFC - (877)470-3309 - [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Adjustments.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  67.2 KB
    I was able to do a quick and dirty experiment this afternoon testing out the casting distance of four lines. It was a little breezy and the wind was swirling on my ridge. So it wasn’t ideal conditions but I did it anyway. Here is the setup. I used the Tict IceCube Rockin Finesse 69 for all treatments. I cast a 0.5g jighead and a Trout Magnet body, five reps and averaged the distance for each treatment. The lines tested are the following.
    -Varivas Area Master Limited Ester 2.3-lb (on Daiwa Presso Limited 1025)
    -Unitaka Nightgame PE 3.0-lb (on Daiwa Luvias 1003)
    -Trout Magnet SOS Nylon ~3.5-lb (on Daiwa Freams 1000s)
    -Sufix Nano Braid PE ~4.0-lb (on Daiwa Luvias 2004)

Results
    Varivas Ester 44.7 feet
    Unitaka PE 42.7 feet
    SOS Nylon 41.5 feet
    Suffix Nanobraid 41.8 feet

I realize these were not perfect experimental conditions, because there could be some confounding factors (model of reel, size of reel, strength and direction of wind, diameter of line, etc...). Also, each line wasn’t the same strength. But I do think there is some interesting take aways. When using a really light jig (~0.5g) with a little breeze, you can only cast the jig so far. If I would have increased the jig weight to 1.5g, I think the differences would have been greater. I should also mentioned that I had my first malfunction with the Varivas Ester and I had to cut some off to get rid of a slipped loop on the reel. But the Varivas Ester did cast slightly longer than the other lines tested. I wish I could find a 3.0-lb Ester line that I liked. Haven’t found it yet. So Randy, I think your observations were correct. The Ester does cast slightly further than semi-comparable PE.

Likes FishSolidATL, skeetbum, Alphahawk LIKED above post
    Thanks Crappie Pro Wannabe thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up D10... thank you for your testing... have you ever tried the 3lb sunline ester?
    Likes FishSolidATL LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaCrappieMan View Post
    Nice write up D10... thank you for your testing... have you ever tried the 3lb sunline ester?
    I have some and I tried it out but didn’t like it as much as the Varivas 2.3-lb Ester or the Unitaka PE. For me, it had much more management issues compared to the Varivas Ester. I may need to give it another try though.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks D10, shortens my learning curve. I have some 2lb fireline crystal to try and I’m thinking on trying the pe. It has peaked my interest. The area master and troutist wild have done well so far but fishing has been off here so I’m only claiming to a limited testing on crappie. No issues with the nylon when shad fishing and they were all over 16”.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I have only tried the Varivas 2 times and I am not a fan at all... I didn’t have near the issues out of the Sunline but I was using 2.5lb... I have a spool of the 3lb Sunline but still haven’t used it... I need to do some casting tests myself to see what I can throw the farthest... distance is important to me since I am on the bank

Post Thanks / Like

Before NanoFil ever came out I tried every brand of US market braid in 2# test that there was. I never found one that cast farther than 2# test nylon. But when trying NanoFil I found out real quick you could cast around the world with that stuff. It was a Godsend for us Trout Magnet users. But I soon went back to nylon.....and a couple of years back switched to all JDM nylon...and or ester....or FC. The Unitika is not a premium line. Premium JDM PE lines cost an arm and a leg. But they are supposed to cast much better than the cheaper PE lines. From what I have gathered in reading it is because they are multi-stranded PE...to make them round instead of flat.....and many of them have super slick coatings. Im sure one day I’ll get around to trying one of these lines....but at 50-60 bucks a spool it’ll be a while yet....LOL.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Like the Unitaka PE, stuck another nice Smallie with it this afternoon and it made him famous (picture and released- Not Billy the Kid Style famous). I have put that Sunline SG High End Pink PE in my shopping cart a couple times on Digitaka just have never pulled the trigger. I bet it is good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it’s here somewhere but when you guys tie your MONO straight to the jig/bait which knot are you using? I would like to use other lines but I have to have a floating line. Man I got some of the trout darkness from Finesse fishing. Great line just struggling with seeing the line to try and tie a knot. Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Boy View Post
    I know it’s here somewhere but when you guys tie your MONO straight to the jig/bait which knot are you using? I would like to use other lines but I have to have a floating line. Man I got some of the trout darkness from Finesse fishing. Great line just struggling with seeing the line to try and tie a knot. Thanks in advance

I use the Palomar knot.

Regards

Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 152223242526272835 ... LastLast