HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SINGLE JIG POLE

Post Thanks / Like

I started vertical jigging on flooded timber. I would pull out ever how much line to fish the depth I wanted an pitch the jig past the target while holding the rod tip directly over the area i wanted to fish. The jig will pendulum back to wherever the tip of the rod is setting. I normally try to fish as close to the timber as possible (i even bump the jig on the stump) and feel that pitching past my target point just allows more fish to spot the bait. After I figured out how to jig on the stumps I then started targeted brush, laydowns etc. While others may disagree with me I find that holding the jig as still as possible and slowly altering depths is the best presentation method but your mileage may vary. Good Luck!
    Likes JigRigPreacher, Chuck Adams, ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of good advice so far. You should do the thing that gives you the most confidence. Good luck out there.
    Thanks Chuck Adams thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Single pole is one of the most challenging and rewarding/ fun types of crappie fishing.
    It’s what I spend most of my fishing time doing.
    My advice for fishing cover that can be seen is pitch/ swing your jig to the edge of the cover as you slowly approach.
    As you get closer go deeper, swim the jig like a lost minnow looking for the school.
    Lastly don’t be afraid to go right in vertically down into the thick stuff.
    If you get hung up just pull the slack and run the rod tip carefully down to the jig.
    99% of the time you can unhook it from the cover. ( as long as you’re not fishing deeper than the pole is long )
    Also you might want to use a little heavier line than open water fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Eagle 1 is online now Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pcdimis View Post
    I started vertical jigging on flooded timber. I would pull out ever how much line to fish the depth I wanted an pitch the jig past the target while holding the rod tip directly over the area i wanted to fish. The jig will pendulum back to wherever the tip of the rod is setting. I normally try to fish as close to the timber as possible (i even bump the jig on the stump) and feel that pitching past my target point just allows more fish to spot the bait. After I figured out how to jig on the stumps I then started targeted brush, laydowns etc. While others may disagree with me I find that holding the jig as still as possible and slowly altering depths is the best presentation method but your mileage may vary. Good Luck!
    dead sticking is probably the best way to fish a jig .
    Likes Pcdimis LIKED above post
    Thanks Chuck Adams thanked you for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12