Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Livescope lessons

Post Thanks / Like

Default Livescope lessons

You know many times in the past I wondered why I got bit or why someone else got bit doing something a bit different . The ability to see why is pretty cool.
    I often wondered why a rising bait seemed to get hit often and often why right when it stopped or dropped a bit after it rose it got hit .
    Watching the crappie on livescope confirmed many things I suspected over the years .
    The one most certain thing is that the rising bait method that I thought might be just a case of covering more water volume and by raising the bait you would eventually drag it by a suspended fish is most likely not what is going on .
    I do not know for sure if its a year round activity for crappie as I don't have a livescope I just get to watch my buds sometimes , but to be sure crappie LOVE to follow baits up if it interests them as a potential food item.
    Some of the time they follow a bait for a good long time and I have seen some go from pretty deep to darn near the top before they either fade back away or hammer the bait .
    So now in my newest bag of tricks when they are not cooperating and I am fishing without the tools to see for sure and that happens more often than not .
    I am now employing a slowly rising bait presentation a lot more often when I suspect there are fish under me and want it just so so .
    Technology scares us Neanderthals and to be sure many times I run from it and try to stay with the tools I came to this planet with , but many a fisher person will become a lot better at ketchn crappie using a livescope than they were before its arrival .
    So to be sure if you can afford a unit and want to learn more it is a tool that teaches lessons well and will most assuredly help even the most seasoned of anglers to ketch more crappie .
    No worries though from me and my livescope as I run lean and cant take it serious enough to spend much on technology ,so if I get a boat and unless someone just gives me a livescope it isn't likely I will ever own one .
    Heck I cant even bring myself to drop much more than the cost of one of these units on a "depreciating" asset like a boat , but in the end some depreciating assets are in fact greatly "appreciated" .
    All this said if someone wants to go and get all kinds of serious on an act of kindness in 2020 ,,please keep Mr. Johnny B Ketchn in your thoughts as I would for sure use a "free" livescope unit with or without a "free" boat.
    Heck I was thinking if I did get a gifted livescope I might even hurry up on getting a boat to put under it …..
    hope everyone has a blessed new year
    and KABOOM is the word yawl
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

So well crafted without an apology anywhere for not having one. I wholeheartedly agree that LS is not a required tool to catch lots of crappie (see SK and Ketchn) but from an old timers perspective it allows me to be more successful quicker as well as allowing me to monitor the fishes behavior similar to your observations. I see technology as a value add and do not mind spending some of my kids inheritance on my enjoyment. Thanks, Ketchn, for your humble opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

A man am an confirm, and learn a lot from watching LS.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Well said.

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Live Scope can be a very humbling tool at times, especially when you watch the smart alec's swim up to your jig time after time, watch it for a few minutes, turn up their noses and swim away from it. Even worse is when a group forms a circle around your jig, watches it, turns up their collective noses and then swim away from it.

It is a fun tool and a learning tool for sure. I would not have bought it when I was younger, with a family to care for, but now that I am old and my children are capable of taking care of their families, I'm glad I finally broke down and spend the money to buy it. But I find SI and DI to be better tools for initially finding the suspended crappie than Live Scope.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid. -Ben Franklin
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Any day I'm fishing is a good day, regardless of what I catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread, and I am very intrigued by live scope!

Post Thanks / Like

a good SI and DI unit in my opinion are an angler needs , but to be sure to watch crappie actively makes for a very interesting experience .
    AND I look forward to the next level automatic harpoon them when they are in range version

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    a good SI and DI unit in my opinion are an angler needs , but to be sure to watch crappie actively makes for a very interesting experience .
    AND I look forward to the next level automatic harpoon them when they are in range version
    I'm in the process of saving up for a nice SI and DI unit for my kayak as I know its a game changer for me. Even those without livescope can learn from others with it or that have used it. Your post is a great example with tidbits of info. KABOOM my friend and thank you. Happy 2020!

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with you all on these newer technologies and enjoy using them and we all caught fish before these advanced tools.

The SI is by far the best tool for longer range scanning helping find fish quicker and DI shows excellent details of fish and fish on structure and agree with the statement when you get on fish LS can be humbling when you see fish with the lockjaw to different colors of baits.
    I like using 2 fish finder units together with LS and SI/DI transducer on a pole separate from the TM especially when using spot lock.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!
    Likes Roy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

watching crappie swim up to your bait and then swim away is frustrating .
    Garmin needs to make the screen fist/boot proof is my thought.
    you get all excited watching them close in on your jig .
    then they just turn and fade away …...oh the evilness of it all …..
    Likes Herewego, pipeliner345 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast