HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's your thoughts?

Ok, I have been debating for months whether to trade my boat in or not. I currently have a 88 model 201 Stratos boat with a 200 Johnson that really likes gas. The boat runs well, it has a soft spot around the floor drain. It would cost me $1500 - $1800 to replace the floor. Carpet could use a update, it has some cosmetic rashes. Overall every thing works as it should. If I decide to keep her I would have the motor gone through by a local engine builder who builds and corrects manufacturing inefficiencys that improve mpg and wakes up the motor to work more efficiently. That's about $3000. If I trade, I get a newer aluminum boat with a Merc 60, 4 stroke, way more fuel efficient, easier to tow, though I have a 2017 Titan XD with a Cummins so that's not a issue, and warranty until 2022. I guestimate payments would be in the $240 range, and a increase in insurance. I hope to retire in about 10 years so if I trade now it would be paid for by the time I retire. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    'Jesus answered and said to them, “Go and tell John the things which you hear and see:
    The blind see and the lame walk; lepers are cleansed and deaf hear; dead are raised up and poor have the gospel preached to them.
    And blessed is he who is not offended because of Me... Matthew 11:4-6

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I would go with the new boat idea
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes BAMA S LIKED above post
    Thanks Mr. S thanked you for this post

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you buy new/close to new it should last you a life time ! If U could swing it I would up grade ! But You will miss the stability/ comfort of the glass boat if you are out on big windy days on the Tennessee River ! Don’t get me wrong I have an aluminum 18’6” xpress padded hull and it does well but wind limits these aching bones when I have to run far in rough waters also the wind will push me way faster that it does a glass boat so I’m going to glass one these years when I can get to that point ! And 4 stroke for sure!
    Likes BAMA S LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I would ask yourself which you would rather have if both were excellent condition. If the old boat was restored compared to the new aluminum boat. Might find you would rather have the old boat restored and updated vs. new. Plus with restoration you might save some money which could then put into new electronics. Just food for thought.

BAMA S is online now Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in your shoes. I had an eight year old ranger that I was able to sell for 40 g. I was getting close to needing carpet and who knows on motor after eight years. I’m getting into a new bay fiberglass with five year motor warranty for same monies. I like warranty and turn key and go

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

In the end, it's only you who can decide based on your $$ situation. I would think the money spent on your old boat would essentially be thrown down the drain since it wouldn't increase the value by any where near what you would spend.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes BAMA S, "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think you’re going to like going from fiberglass to aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

BOAT....Break out another thousand.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Slab, Redge, Herewego LIKED above post

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll enjoy having no headaches after retirement with a new boat. I did
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

In 10 years your refurbished boat and motor will need another refreshening. IMO sell it now to get some money out of it. Like Mr Dux said, what you spend on it now will be down the drain. Put that money towards a new boat.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes BAMA S, drumking LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast