HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Hair?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Skip, the jig you mentioned in SuperDave 335 post, is the exact jig I use most. I have caught many a slab on that jig here on TB lake. I use a #4 hook and 1/16oz jig mostly.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at this and see if it might not work for you.
    Flymen Fishing Faux Bucktail 6"
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Thanks riverrat318 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering about this material.

Slinky Fibre - Fly Tying Crimped Krinkled Synthetic Bucktail Hair – Fly Artist

To many options. Might just have to get and try some of them until you find what your looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Cray, Your post looks mighty close in the photo,I may contact the dealer and order a couple to see if it maybe close to what I'm looking for....thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave, It looks close as well? Heck I don't know..LOL..I have the info to call the dealer and ask about the texture. As long as it is not to stiff and kind of floats in the water...I think it may work....Thanks a lot for you help.

Post Thanks / Like

Might just have to try several things and see what works. Personally I’d probably just get close and go fishing
    Likes riverrat318 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like craft hair or polar fiber. There are different varieties of each.
    Likes Mike1234 LIKED above post

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There are many versions of craft hair and also different lengths. I have some that has to be over 6” long for tying streamers. The wrinkled looking stuff is new to me. The bottom jig looks like fine bucktail to me.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you should try several things? I know kip tail is a killer, just ask any of them guys from Louisiana and they will tell you so! I never believed in it until some guys over there got me to make them some. When I got a couple tied and was tired of tying that day I went down to my bank and thinking nothing was in there yet anyway, just was curious. Well 15 min later I had 3 with the smallest one was 14" and I became a believer, lol!

So if I was in your place I would get a few heads with #6 Sickles (don't want a hook with long shank) and tie a few kip tail jigs, then I would use my #4 and tie a few bucktail jigs and maybe a few synthetic hair type jigs and I would find out which was best and which was not if any? I personally would favor that kip tail, there is just something about it that works great! I would suggest you at a minimum give it a try?

I have tried some Craft Fur and it did well, but for me I didn't like how they can tangle in a box with each other. I know a guide that only uses that stuff and ties his own 1/8 Oz jigs with a very small hook. These are just my personal opinions though.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Likes riverrat318 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely craft hair. I buy most of mine from Punisher lures. Also get the select craft hair from Feathercraft. My biggest bass and crappie were caught on craft hair jigs tied thin with a couple strands of flash. New favorite natural hair is opossum zonkers cut from the strip and tied thin. Biggest mistake is tying to big of a tail. Only down side to craft hair is that it will tangle with other craft hair jigs if you store too many together.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast