HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powering a pontoon

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 22' with a 115 and my son and grandson so it is too slow but, for us old folks it does pretty good.
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post
    Thanks DV8ed thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

30 hp on a 20 ft pontoon..........it will be slow and like a barge, so go with the lowest pitch for the most thrust and highest rpms....you definitely want a 4-blade...think of it like being an outboard on a sailboat

Solas Amita 4 or even Solas Amita 4 High Thrust (if they make one for the engine you have), has the hub already pressed in and ready to go, most economical option there is and easiest to install

FYI - Wholesale Marine has a sale going right now through 11/25, 15% off and free shipping on orders over $50, code = PRESALE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    30 hp on a 20 ft pontoon..........it will be slow and like a barge, so go with the lowest pitch for the most thrust and highest rpms....you definitely want a 4-blade...think of it like being an outboard on a sailboat

Solas Amita 4 or even Solas Amita 4 High Thrust (if they make one for the engine you have), has the hub already pressed in and ready to go, most economical option there is and easiest to install

FYI - Wholesale Marine has a sale going right now through 11/25, 15% off and free shipping on orders over $50, code = PRESALE
    Thank you. Looking into that momentarily.

The outboard on a sail boat is the idea. I suspect that it will be used to get to the "big" water, anchor, then back to launch.
    Am having trouble with naming it the Tube Top 'Toon. Lady of the house frowns and cuts her eyes at me,
    'at boy just ain't right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RobAnderson View Post
    Speed for skiing or wake boarding is between 13 and 20 mph unless they are very skilled or heavy. Either way 25mph is top safe speed for pulling someone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I would not know about that, I have never been pulled that SLOW.
    The way I was raised, when you wipe out, the folks in the boat all want to watch you tumble for a good, long while!
    Likes RobAnderson, DV8ed LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 21' lowes with a 60hp 4 stroke and it does great at cruising and with the TM on it and for hanging in a cove with the lilly pad out swimming but NOT FOR skiing. my grandaughter and her friends are back there cleaning their nails or checking email as it is way too slow and all your doing is towing them around.

I had thoughts about buying a 90 or a 115 but LOVE my lowes so instead I do what I do and talk a nice young friend to let me use his ski boat for the couple times a year I need to pull a skier. Then I will teach him and his young sons how to fish. symbiotic relationships are the best.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the idea, hdhntr. The son-in-law has a bass boat with plenty of speed to keep a skier tumbling long enough to keep up interest. A 'toon would be a place for everyone else to swim, eat, or sit in the shade and talk about work, or something. Agree on the symbiotic.

My brother and I were not aware of the safe speeds for skiing, either, at least until now. 60 mph was about all the boat would do with a skier, so that was as fast as we went.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DV8ed View Post
    That's the idea, hdhntr. The son-in-law has a bass boat with plenty of speed to keep a skier tumbling long enough to keep up interest. A 'toon would be a place for everyone else to swim, eat, or sit in the shade and talk about work, or something. Agree on the symbiotic.

My brother and I were not aware of the safe speeds for skiing, either, at least until now. 60 mph was about all the boat would do with a skier, so that was as fast as we went.
    That's right.
    The speed we always got pulled at was classified as "Skint back".
    Likes DV8ed LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DV8ed View Post
    Am having trouble with naming it the Tube Top 'Toon. Lady of the house frowns and cuts her eyes at me,
    Just tell her that she's inspired you to name it after her...."The Looney 'Toon"
    Likes DV8ed, hdhntr LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

No kidding, G. I showed her some small jigs that jawjatek posted, and she has agreed to try tying some with those small, nimble fingers. Now I got to be nice... and quiet.
    Thanks Pondfisher42 thanked you for this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast