Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
Have you seen the Cortland Competition Rod? It’s more expensive than the Orvis, but I understand it’s very popular with the competition fly guys.

Cortland Competition Rod - European Style Nymphing – Cortland Line North America
The cortland rod is excellent. I have a 10' 6" 3 wt. It is my favorite rod to fish. I have landed many 5 to 10 lb warm water fish on it in current.

Most of the nymph rods I am familiar with have heavier butt sections. I've heard them described as a 3 wt tip for protecting light tippett and casting weighted nymphs with a 5 wt butt section for fighting larger fish.

The longer rods will also somewhat load under their own weight when using momo only out of the tip and casting lightly weighed nymphs.

These days, I find myself gravitating toward longer, lighter rods. I am about to order an 11' 3 wt from Reddington. I broke a 9' 5 wt that is now discontinued. They sent me a 50% discount code for a new rod since they couldn't fix mine and it was totally my fault. I thought that was good of them.

Sent from my SM-J337R7 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app