HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to me line - Gliss

Post Thanks / Like

it might work well for someone else is my thoughts and I have heard folks say they like it . I just got it broke to many times for me to take it seriously on the one time I tried it .
    my equipment is well used as you might imagine and it may be my guides or reels that cause it so maybe I am not the best at what is best in some cases when it comes to testing .
    many years ago a well known mfg would send me rods and tell me to try to break them as a test of durability and could they handle serious abuse
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Thanks skeetbum thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I never heard of that stuff. I'm a huge fan of Ande line. Reasonably inexpensive and it works. Can't figure out why you'd need more than 4# like to catch a fish the size of crappie. Keep in mind around here a huge one might make 10"! All these different recreational hobbies we have seem to attract a lot of equipment nut's more devoted to the best equipment rather than the sport! Let's see, the perfect set up is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,depends on who you talk to!
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post
    Thanks skeetbum thanked you for this post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don, I’m happy using the 2lb Nanofil I have now, but it’s lack of abrasion resistance is sometimes annoying. I’m trying to find something a little tougher without sacrificing the casting the nano delivers. Got a new rod I’m building and found this and decided to see what it’s all about. Always looking for the next best thing........
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Don Fischer LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Fireline is made of dyneema. Always has been. A very reliable and well manageable line for crappie fishing. Up here in the Northeast, we don't have to contend with fishing brush piles and rough structure, so we use the 2# test Crystal almost exclusively. Extremely strong for these applications. You do have to use a fluorocarbon leader with it though - for the abrasion resistance.

Tried Nanofil in 2# test and trashed it after one trip. Same experiene that Ketchn' had. Not even close to the performance levels of Fireline - in my opinion.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Fireline is made of dyneema. so we use the 2# test Crystal almost exclusively.
    Are you talking about FireLine Braided Beading Thread 2# 50 yards ?

https://www.amazon.com/FireLine-Brai.../dp/B01GP002ME

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Fireline is made of dyneema.
    Never mind the FireLine Braided Beading Thread 2# is made from Polyethylene . You must be talking about FireLine 6/2: 6 pound test, with a 2 pound diameter.

Post Thanks / Like

Is't that fireline the stuff that's hard to tie a knot in that won't slip?

Post Thanks / Like

OK, first off, I've been using Fireline for over 15 years. (From when it first came out in smoke color only.) Is was the first line to made of the "new" dyneema material. It was promoted as a braid, whereas in fact it is actually extruded, not braided. I now use the "Crystal" version, as these old eyes can see it so much better.

In all the years I've been using it, I've not had an issue with knots. I use the Alberto knot exclusively to tie on my fluoro leader material. A great knot! Almost foolproof, as it's not actually a knot per say, but rather a "weave" of the two different line materials. And it's so much slimmer than the Uni-Uni knot for attaching leaders. The knot flows through the guides without effort. Best part is, I can cast light jigs a country mile with this stuff! And, if you check out some of my past posts, you'll see that I've taken some pretty big fish on that 2# test rated size.

I filled up 2 reels with the new Nanofil in the 2# test size when it first came out. I forced myself to use it and continued using it for almost a full season. Until, after breaking off more jigs than you can shake a stick at, I said, "UNCLE"! Now, like I said, I've been around the block a time or two and no one can tell me that I do not know how to tie a knot. Almost 60 years of tying every knot there is, I could not get any of them to work with Nanofil. And I even tried their "new" knot that was supposedly fail safe. Not! (pun intended) LOL! And why would you need a "special" knot to tie any line in the first place!? So, I went back to my Fireline and have not looked back. Just my opinion folks! If it works for you and you have confidence in it, God Bless!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    Is't that fireline the stuff that's hard to tie a knot in that won't slip?
    No, that's Nanofil
    Likes Don Fischer LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as knots go; I don’t know the name of the knot . I show it in my YouTube video named “ Crappie double rig with wooly bugger”. The line is .002 and admittedly slick, but the knot shown there has never let me down. For the nano to leader, which is 4lb clear blue Stren, I use the double uni with good passage through the guides. 2 rods rigged with it. It has terrible abrasion resistance but has landed LMB up to 2 1/2lb on a scale and numerous crappie very close to the same weight. Also admit that it isn’t for everyone but it has sure boated a lot of fish for me. The 4lb isn’t near as limp but still does a good job for 1/32 and up in jig size. I’ll try the fireline crystal when I can find it for a price that doesn’t rival a retirement payment.

And thanks to everyone for their input. I’ll put this Gliss stuff through the test but it will be trash bound if it falls short.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast