HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Casting for crappie.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always cast for whatever kind of fish I was chasing at the time. My internal motor runs too fast to bait and wait. I look for anything along the bank that creates shade or cover, or a drop off out away from the bank. Retrieve speed will help keep you above the snag they hide in, and Pappys weedless jighead has its merit also.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post
    Thanks hdhntr thanked you for this post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Casting is my favorite way to catch fish and it gives me exercise too! I cast toward bridges or wood lay downs primarily. Otherwise I target the top of weed beds. Pair a 1/16th pink jig head, a two inch stinger tail lure and some slab sauce or crappie nibble and you will catch dinner in no time.

Mike
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezgoing View Post
    Depends on where and what I am fishing. I prefer to cast but sometimes jigging is the best way to go. I try and let the crappie tell me what they want.
    Yeap......

Post Thanks / Like

Casting? As opposed to trolling? Casting a plug or bobber and a jig? I'm not a troller, never did much and don't plan on it in the future. But I do have a trolling motor. Guy can't be to careful! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Up until about 10 years ago, Walt & I mainly cast for most species we went after. We love to cast! However, it started becoming more & more difficult - osteoarthritis - on the shoulders and arms, after a couple of hours of casting. So, we adapted. Started off drift fishing with the wind, sideways. Turned out to be ultra-productive for us. Even more so than casting! So we kept it up.

However, again, you can never depend on the wind for controlling your of depth & speed. So, again, we adapted and took up with Roger Gant's method of "Side pulling" with a gunnel mounted trolling motor. Now we have the best of both worlds. We now can cast for a while, then when the shoulders start acting up, we side pull our jigs. Works well for these old timers - 74 years young and going strong!

There will come a time, as you get older, where casting becomes less & less an option, so you just have to do what you have to do to keep on fishing. Wish I were 20 years younger again!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes SuperDave336, chippewa, Herewego LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I cast 75% of my time and 25% drop shot fish for them

Post Thanks / Like

I need to do more drop shot fishing! Should work great at my normal lake I keep forgetting about this technique.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish from shore and docks. Mostly cast 1/32nd jigs with a variety of plastic tails such as 1 1/2 crappie tubes and 2" rat tail shads on 4# line and UL rods. I also jig dock pilings and walls with ice rod and 1/48th jigs and tiny plastics on 2#. With heavier tungsten jigs one can get the small size to match the small tails and still get a positive and fast decent, but IMO sometimes that descent is too fast. I fish slow and when casting and jigging start at the bottom and work up the water column. We have mostly black crappies who move more vertical than whites. Best is when the crappies move up the breaks and out from cover to feed on the open flats IOW generally after work in the evening or when the street drains start to rush following a storm. Fishing the feeding areas produces a significant number of larger bonus game fish, as well; so it pays to carry extra filled spools for your reel because some of those bonus fish head for the next county and some times you can't stop em on UL.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess bobber's are not casting. I do mostly that but mostly for other fish I cast. Bait on the bottom for cat's. Hoping my new reel will let me cast a few crappie plugs I got. Had caught the first two by accident casting rubber jigs for bass. Gonna try that some more but with smaller jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave336 View Post
    I need to do more drop shot fishing! Should work great at my normal lake I keep forgetting about this technique.
    I use my double drop shot rig and it's been a killer. its probably better than spider rigging in some situations, such as me who does a lot of fishing off the kayak. tough to manage ton of rods and reels, so i put on two hooks instead.
    Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast