Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for braided line users??

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CP, I could not ask for more info than that, I will go with what you know for sure. Got in my Jeep and went to Lawson MO City Lake this afternoon and just got back, it was deserted,windy and cold....yep,... I did turn around and come back home. Being retired and all along with that surface water temp being as cold as it is still I can pick and choose the days pretty much, I live real close to it so i can check it daily np. Again, thanks and I will let you know how things go.

Post Thanks / Like

No need to cross their eyes when setting the hook with braid. For crappies, all you need is a little flick of the wrist.

Post Thanks / Like

if filling spool with braid is more expensive than ya like..fill spool part way with some cheapie line in same #test range and tie on braid the last 25y or so ....I love Braid too, but Tying is a nightmare for these old beat up hands and eyes

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea, thank for posting it. I am going to do just that. I need to look-up the best way to join the two lines and then ,....go fishing. They will be biting here in MO as we finally warm up for extended days, I am ready.

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Power Pro makes a hivis Slick8 that holds it's color real well. I've heard tale of guys breaking rod tips setting hooks. That's gotta be like a 5 or 6 foot hook set. Them feeshes mouth ain't that big.

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodman38 View Post
    Good idea, thank for posting it. I am going to do just that. I need to look-up the best way to join the two lines and then ,....go fishing. They will be biting here in MO as we finally warm up for extended days, I am ready.
    Check out how to tie the UNI knot.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes chippewa LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Lol Charlie, them feeshes aint Crappy if that happens. Funny you mentioned that, I broke the first 3" off the tip of one rod power-rolling up the back window yesterday! That makes it the 3rd time I have done that. I think I have finally learned the lesson now dangit. I will try the UNI thank you sir. Aaron at FishUSA recommended the PowePro slick high vis also. I need to get a copy of my DD-214 sent in for the 10% vet discount and order some asap like today even.

Clayton H.
    USN 1976-79
    Honorable, deck hand/line handler
    West Coast on two sub rescue ships.
    A very crazy time, surprised I lived through all the endless parties!

Post Thanks / Like

We all Probably agree the only bad thing about braid is when its new, it gets wind knots easy. After it gets broken in, its probably the best line to put on a spinning reel. I know a lot of guy that take fabric wrinkle releaser ("downy light and fresh wrinkle release plus" is the one most of them like) and stray the reel spool after putting new line on. Wider spool spinning reels also help with not getting wind knots as bad until the braid breaks in. I went to braid saltwater fishing years ago but stayed with mono for crappie for along time. When I was designing the rods I built, I started trying new lines to see how the rod reacted. I found some power pro original in 3 and 5 pound test, both have a sub 1 pound dia.. When it comes to casting a 1/32 or 1/16 oz jig it really helps with getting some distance along with every other benefit of braid with the most important being feel. I just tie a 8 pound fluorocarbon leader with a uni to uni and this set up has about put a end to me you using mono. honestly i don't know why I didnt do this a long time ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Bobber stops (the rubber tubes) wikk work great on braid as long as you remember to Grease the line (spit) before moving the stop. Have used braid for years after the price increase on Bobbers. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

One drawback to braid is using it in wind. The wind can really move braid and it is difficult to keep the lure slow and/or deep.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast