HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Convince me, please!

Post Thanks / Like

Try useing 2 poles. I see people doing it often in my part of the lake. They jig with a pole in each hand so they would be still feeling the thump in each hand. Doubles the chances so you can get a limit.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Thanks ET Fish thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

If they convince you, maybe I can be next. We bought a Mega unit and an I-pilot a couple months ago with intent to learn to spider rig. So far I haven't even bought rods. The "thump" was what attracted me to crappie fishing back in the 70's and the same "thump" has kept me hooked ever since. I know it's a great way to catch fish but I'm just an old dog I guess...
    Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

Wear that PFD, the life you save might be your own!!

Post Thanks / Like

I started out single pole,vertical fishing and still do it and love fishing that way.When they changed our rod limits here in PA to 3 per angler I decided to buy the extra rods,holders,built a bench seat up front,etc. to try out spider rigging.At first we had plenty of monster tangles and a bunch of rods hung up at the same time and other mishaps,but over time we came up with a system that worked for us and became very fun.At times spider rigging is more effective for us and other times we still single pole,they both have there place.I always loved feeling that thump but looking at those poles and waiting to see them move is just about as fun and addicting to me,heck after a long day rigging I can see those pole tips in my sleep!My wife and oldest son prefer to spiderrig over using a singlepole,I still slightly favor the jigpole.If I was you I would give it a shot,maybe it will work out for you plus you can always go back to singlepole when you want to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    Come back to Michigan and walleye fish with us. After trolling for a few hours, you might never want to pick up another rod again!
    Now that’s tempting! I loved my visit to Michigan, and fully intend to return!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    Try useing 2 poles. I see people doing it often in my part of the lake. They jig with a pole in each hand so they would be still feeling the thump in each hand. Doubles the chances so you can get a limit.
    I like that idea!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This might rehash some of what has already been said, but here goes. I have done spider, longline jigs and cranks, pushed jigs and cranks, single pole cast and jig, and deep jig with 2 poles. Hands down, my favorite is deep jigging standing timber, but I left that behind when I moved south. Second is single pole. Longline cranks is next, but that also doesn’t work here as well as it did there. Then longline jigs. I also make a lot of what I use doing these techniques. My internal motor runs to fast for the unproductive times that sometimes come when spider rigging. That and pushing also makes different rods necessary that don’t always transfer to other styles very well. Like, what else can a man do with 8 poles 16’ long. 3 rods per side of the boat and they don’t have to be specialized. Good rod holders make a difference, and you can also get started with four inexpensive rods out the back. Pulling cranks has put over 50 fish over my gunnels in 4 hours and most would have kept. And the big whites hit like a house afire. The surprise fish also add icing to the cake. I started pulling cranks in the pre spawn staging areas in the spring and went all the way through til the water got cold. I’m tellin ya, it just plain works. There’s a learning curve but there’s a bunch of folks near you that are good at it. Trolling jigs has a different dynamic in that when you stop, everything goes to the bottom and it can be a snagfest. Cranks float. Crank em in, go back for the snag, and start again. Some folks just either pull em free or break em off, but I never did. Ill get off my soapbox, but this is my input. As you get more exposure to the different styles, you’ll find your own and not question it.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on why you fish. If you do so for as you said "the thump", then I think you should continue to do so. If you are looking for the numbers, then another method is in order. I am a "pitch a jig at a stick-up" fisherman and am more than happy going home with just a few.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We started out single pole fishing. The laws in our state prohibit the use of more than two rods per fisherman, so we had little choice. However, got involved with side pulling (Roger Gant style) and spreading out those two rods per fisherman, over a wider coverage area. Started really working well for us up here.

A lot of times we'll put one rod down to about a foot off the bottom (a jig) and drift that way while casting with a second rod. This is an option for you as well. But you'll have to have a rod holder for the down rod. It's amazing how strong some crappie hit! You don't want to be loosing a rod overboard while your casting!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

ET,

In all honesty, it really depends on what lake I am at and where the fish are. If they are under the pads, I'm pitching, casting, or flipping one rod to them. If they are suspeded over deep structure, I'm double rod vertical jigging.

If the are relating to weed flats, I'm sending floats at them. If they are spread out over deep basins or large flats, I'm trolling in order to cover ground and find productive fish.

Learn to fish several different ways and you won't go home empty handed. I meet a great number of people at the dock that will say the fish are not biting. When you dig in, you find out they were concentrated in the wrong areas with a technique that wasn't working that day.

Best answer I have for you. My favorite is to troll (for any fish) but tournament fishing has taught me to be flexible and adapt to the conditions.
    Likes skeetbum, CUonthelake LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on why you fish. If you do so for as you said "the thump", then I think you should continue to do so. If you are looking for the numbers, then another method is in order. I am a "pitch a jig at a stick-up" fisherman and am more than happy going home with just a few.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast