HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who here fishes spoons for Crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

I make 1/4 oz slab spoons. A pictorial set of instructions can be found in one of my albums. I also use ice spoon blanks to make spoons with and paint a variety of colors. My fishing partner the Lone Stranger showed me how to make the ice spoons.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't bend the lead spoons. The 1/4 oz spoons I make I use when the crappie are deep (30'-50') usually with a jig tied above the spoon. The ice spoons I use when they are as shallow as 1' or as deep as 30'. You can purchase the ice spoon blanks of various sizes in bulk packs and then solder a hook to them. I use a propane torch to solder with because an electric soldering iron is not hot enough to get a good stick. You get different weight spoons by using different size spoon blanks. I will use a set of hemostats to hold the hook to the concave side of the spoon with the eye of the hook past the end of the spoon and clamp the hemostat to to something that holds the concave portion of the spoon parallel to the ground and then melt solder into the concave portion of the spoon thereby attaching the hook to the spoon. Care is taken to get neither the hook or the spoon to hot as to much heat will soften the hook and discolor the spoon. A little heat on the hook makes it bend free of brush when hung up but too much heat will make the hook bend free of the fish. You can always just buy the ice spoons already made but I kind of enjoy making most of my own stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Many moons ago I experimented with shooting docks with a light weight spoon for crappie.
    It was just a simple spinner bait blade with a single hook.
    I seemed to be catching more bass with it than crappie so I gave it up for jigs.
    Thanks wolfhnd thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

In the original post I outlined an unusual situation where the crappie were picking up injured shad under white bass. They would not hit a jig but took the spoon. I haven't experimented with spoons in other situations although I did buy a variety. I'm lazy what can I say :-) The lesson if there is one is to be open to new techniques I guess.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123