HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spinning Reels

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My uncle who probably taught me as much as my Dad would take a pair of side cutters and cut the most of the bail off. He just leave a half an inch or so to catch the line.

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer Daiwa; I have several and never had any issues. The Luvias and Tatula on the higher end, and the Revros on the low end, all have been solid and smooth, trouble-free. Having said that, I love my new Cadence CS10, a mid-price reel with 10+1 bearings and 3-disc drag.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catchNgrease View Post
    My uncle who probably taught me as much as my Dad would take a pair of side cutters and cut the most of the bail off. He just leave a half an inch or so to catch the line.

Thats called “Chopping”. It used to be quite the thing to do....but with the advent of present day spinning reels it doesn’t work very well. The modern day reels are balanced with that bail arm. On the overwhelming majority of reels made today you would have so much wobble in the reel you wouldn’t want to use it.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes jackie53, triadcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catchNgrease View Post

Agreed.....I use to do this with all my old time Michell 300's (as well as other models). Mainly because, you had to turn the handle in order for the bail to flip back. This cutting mod reduced the strain on the bail spring and gave you more time in between bail spring replacements. Those old reels were not easy to manually flip the bail to save spring wear. Now, with the advent of the modern designs this is no longer a consideration. Most folks today manually close their bails by hand.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good reels mentioned here as l own many of those mentioned but you can find some good sales on good smooth reels but look at size 30 or 3000 size reels larger spools for dock shooting and casting to brush piles with Nanofil line. I been using old BPS reels with larger spools for this for years and l bought a couple of Diawia GH3000 10 bearings reels on sale half price for $30 last year and they have worked well.
    Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one of the Pflueger Summit XT's from Cabela's last year. I've fished with it for a year with zero complaints. One of my old reels broke recently, so I picked up another Summit a couple of days ago to replace it.

Pflueger makes the Summit XT's for Cabela's (and now BassPro). I think the original listed price is something like $70, but they seem to always be on sale for around or less than the cost of the Presidents. I suspect the always on sale thing is just a gimmick, but in comparing them to the President, I couldn't tell any difference in quality. And, you can usually get them for a few bucks less. They're actually on sale for like $37 right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Shimano Stradic in a 1000 series

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    My Shimano Sahara's and Sedona's are 15-20 yrs old w/o issues ever. Most recently I have been buying Shimano Sienna's--$29.99 everywhere. I have 4 that are at least 4-5 yrs old. I use these guys regularly and am yet to have a problem. I have some 2500's but tend to favor the 4000's more.
    I too have Shimano Sahara and Sedona series reels. I have a variety of sizes matched to rods for species and type of fishing method. From 500 size to 3500 size. Walleye, Crappie, small mouth bass, and northerns. No complaints over the past decade. Thinking of cleaning them this winter when I respool them.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes DRFISHDUCK LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I second the Shimano Sienna. $30 all day long. Good reel for that price point

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes DRFISHDUCK LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Pflueger
    ​Specktackle
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast