HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Wonderful Day

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A Wonderful Day

For quite some time I have anticipated todays gathering. Y’all know my story and there has also been some other gatherings that I had in mind to attend that just didn’t happen. Speck Detector shared my boat today and had my back, making sure I didn’t do anything dumb. Thank You Jeff. We met and had a relaxing time before launching, just catching up with some old friends. The sun rose enough that I couldn’t deny the feeling to go any longer and we dropped in and headed back to my usual starting point.

Almost got all the rods out and one goes down. Not a giant but a keeper that would have many cookie cutter friends to follow. 5 fish to the boat had 2 in the box. Never getting real busy but once, and pulling through some unproductive water, we took the grand tour of the west end of the lake. We steady added to our count, one here and one there, til about 9:00 when we pulled in and headed east. I haven’t been there in quite some time and had no tracks on the GPS to refer to. We found the depth we wanted and started picking up fish, couple of which worthy of the box. Then one of the little rods doubled over hard and Jeff said “This ain’t no crappie”. He wasn’t wrong. Why is it them big submarines like our tiny little jigs? Thankfully is wasn’t too big and after several attempts I was able to get a net under it so we could retrieve our little shiny thing it liked so much. That done, we turned to make another pass, only to find the bite had slowed. Pulled in and ran for the north side, got turned around as to which sign was which, and finally got lines back out for our last pull. Got into an area that I had some GPS tracks to follow, got a few more with a couple for the box, and just ran out of time. Wrapped up and ready to travel I pointed toward the ramp and a good lunch that we knew was waiting. Lots of familiar boats at the ramp. Phantom, Flycaster, Lonehunter just to name a few.

I going to go ahead and tell you that we had that parking lot full with trucks and trailers and boats that weren’t going home! O’currans on one side tying his stuff down, and Lonehunter on the other doing the same. I’m liking being around friends right about now. I had stuff to button up, and Jeff some things to go in his car so it wouldn’t be forgotten, and then it was time for weigh in. Man what a crowd! New faces and familiar ones all visiting and smiling. And one that joined us for the first time, My Queen. This was just getting better all the time. Not being one for boats and the water I was glad to see that she came for the weigh in and fish fry.

I was busy as a man can be putting faces to familiar screen names. Several new members also made it today, nice to meet you all. Fish weighed in, we fell short of any bragging rights, but that was the least of it all. Food was on everyone’s mind. Fish, shrimp (Thank You Danny) some great Cole slaw, potatoes, cookies, apple cobbler, and some wonderful peanut butter pie (Thank you Doug for bringing those) which my wife thoroughly enjoyed. I’m sure I’m forgetting some things but what I can say is that it was all just great. I ate too much and was thankful that I had no fish to clean. Slab also had a few shirts made to commemorate this as the Chuck Auten slabfest for some of the folks attending. I think Chuck would have approved and had a good time with us.

I can go on for a while longer but I think you get the point. I had a wonderful day in good company and surrounded by some of the best folks I know. Many thanks to Speckanator and Flycaster and several others who went above and beyond to make this all happen without a hitch. Food left over, it was clear that a lot of thought and preparation had been put into this. I’m looking forward to the next one, and with luck I’ll get to travel to one soon. Slab, Wifey and Billbob making the show was just icing on the cake, always good to see you folks. A few pics of the day below, please add whatever you would like to share. Til next time, with a big smile.....Skeet

Help me Micah, please rotate my pics. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Thanks Slimjim1 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great time. Thanks for sharing
    Thanks skeetbum thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_20181006_165705.jpg
Views: 7704
Size:  142.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20181006_165722.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  102.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20181006_165738.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  120.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20181006_165821.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  68.6 KB

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER and
    SBF
    authorized by: billbob and "G"
    aka: Baconator
    Likes Phantom309, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post
    Thanks skeetbum, Slimjim1 thanked you for this post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Micah.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Speckanator LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, was good to finally get back over that way, still holding out for cooler weather, got to come sooner or later.
    I was telling my boat-mate Bob, it's the best when ya get out there having to wear your coat, and slowly peel it off
    to the long sleeve shirt, then finally, as the day warms up, peel off to just your "T" shirt.

Was good to see everyone again, new folks too, slabfests are always good times..........
    Micah looked a little wore out, we might have to retire him from cooking duty, however, Shu was on the ball, think we need to
    keep him around as cook.

Was good to see BillBob, has been a few years .....

I had a good time for sure (as opposed to last year = big case of burn-out after motor blew (head job) ...
    I've got to take a friend saltwater Monday, think I'll just leave boat hooked up to truck ...
    We going to "Whale-Tail" in southern Mosquito Lagoon, took him and his brother the other day over by HC
    and we bombed out = three catfish .....
    Am getting reeeeeeal burned out on this filthy stinking river over here - it's terrible. A lot better up towards
    OH and EW with their tidal flow from the inlet ... Hopefully Whale tail will produce some reds, this fellow comes
    all the way over here from England bout twice a year ......

OK, Skeet, I give it back to you ......

Oh .......................... Tx's to Slab for the shirt ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    And everybody for the cooking and fixins ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

Your title says it all Tim...everything that makes a Slabfest so enjoyable happened, seeing old friends, meeting new ones, catching a few fish, stretching a few stories, good eats, a few goodies (baits, shirts, ect.) & great weather. Big thanks to John & Micah for kicking off the season with another successful event, goes without saying you guys are pro's at this every time. Thanks to all that made side dishes & helped with prep/clean-up, & of course Slab for some goodies. Last but certainly not least, Tim my friend, thoroughly splendid time with the "other" woman this morning & yes guys she get's around...from spot to spot that is, can see why she's been with ya this long, can't let the good ones go...thanks for the fresh pours (Jig heads) as well. Made taking in the event so pleasant to not having to worry about forgetting anything, Thanks Bud!! A couple pics...Tim in his prize & our monitor along the way that hinted we were in the right fishing hole & a symbol of what we get to do as Americans....That would be the Eagle on the sign, wish the pic took better....Full grown & working on a meal we didn't spot til' she flew off with it....
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    crappie down !

Post Thanks / Like

We had a great time as well....here are a couple pics

Name:  IMG_8274.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  90.1 KB

Sharon's first real "fishing" fishing outing.

Name:  IMG_8275.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  139.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8268.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  138.1 KB
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

You said it all. It was a great time. Thanks to every one that had a hand in it. My wife ( Paula ) and I sure did enjoy it. We are looking forward to the next time we get to meet every one again. Until then,hope to see you on the water.

Jim

another good day at the office !
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It was a wonderful day indeed, had a great time fishing with the family and getting to see all you guys again. Thanks to all the cooks and effort to put this on, we had a great time and I have been looking forward to making this event.
    The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all that put this together and made it work, it was a great day for sure!
    It was nice to see some familiar faces and put a face with some names.
    A big thanks to Tim for the jig heads, I will put them to good use.
    Thanks to Slab for the shirt, but I think I may have lost it to the wife already. lol

It was good fun with a bunch of good people. I caught a decent amount of fish this morning (had 25 on the clicker) kept 5 that were just shy of the 12" mark, never found any big fish but the ones that came home just took a nice hot grease bath.
    Had a great time and looking forward to the next one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast