HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What I do in the off season

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Danny, the south shore of Long Island was very similar. We lived in the ‘burbs but my bike and I got coastal every chance I got. Backpack from Scouts fit a tackle box and lunch, held the rod in my hands as I rode. Folks needed to know where I was going and when to be home and off I went. Like today, solo most of the time. Like you, I think back on those times often. No technology and no issues with kids and crime like today. And we’re better off?
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Phantom309 LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Neat pics Phantom, those were simpler, and better times IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

When I was younger, I didn't know the season went out either. Now that I can't take the heat like I once could, I just do "Honey-Do's" until the weather cools off enough to start chasing Slabs in the cooler months....Just sitting on Ready now!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TnT View Post
    When I was younger, I didn't know the season went out either. Now that I can't take the heat like I once could, I just do "Honey-Do's" until the weather cools off enough to start chasing Slabs in the cooler months....Just sitting on Ready now!!
    Well the crappie may not be in the off season but I sure am,I fish all species and there is a slower time for all of them it seems, so I just make my way from bass to reds/and drum and to shrimp and crappie based on the weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman93 View Post
    Well the crappie may not be in the off season but I sure am,I fish all species and there is a slower time for all of them it seems, so I just make my way from bass to reds/and drum and to shrimp and crappie based on the weather.

Name:  IMG_0919.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  119.6 KB I do know of several creeks off Jessup that have good crappie this time of the year though!

Post Thanks / Like

Apologize for taking this to off topic ....
    Mullet bring back good memories for me back when I was ten years old. Lived in a place called "Jug Island" = out from Perry Fl on the gulf.
    That'd be just a little north of Keaton beach. We practically lived on mullet and swamp cabbage, we'd go out in the woods to collect firewood
    for the community wood pile, shooting squirrels, fishing, crabbing, and ......scalloping too. We had a big cistren that caught rain water and we'd fill up
    garbage cans (new) in the back of the pickup truck and take it around to all the cabins and fill theirs up for water etc. Had out-houses, hogs, dogs chickens
    all ran free, everybody got along, it was an idealogical life for us kids, we'd travel for miles up and down the coast, camping out in the woods, we was pretty
    much free from parental control, they'd just let us go do our thing..... I wrote a song about my life there one time, anyway I just got this urge to show ya'll these pictures
    of the place I loved so much and mullet was a big part of it (lots of stories ) .........The place is long gone now days ....
    Forgive me if I offend anyone with this post (LOL, might've posted this stuff on here before) ............ My mind just kinda comes and goes anymore ....

Danny, brings a tear to my eye. I am so sorry others will not get he joy of such a life. It is now gone forever. I grew up in the same way, but a little more crowded. North Tampa in early 50's doing the same things. My Dad gave me a work ethic that I am still grateful for, I love swamp cabbage but did not pay attention when he was cutting it from the palm with a axe. Never learned to cook it either from my mom. Regret that for sure. If you ever get some cane syrup and hot fried Mullet at the same time, drag a piece of fried Mullet through that syrup. A wonderful taste of the old south.
    Wear your PFD!!!!!

This is the day the Lord hath made, rejoice and be glad in it.
    Psalm 118:24
    Likes specktacklure, Phantom309 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Here ya go Yelim, bunch of ole crackers cooking swamp cabbage. Roberts videos are very good too.

YouTube

YouTube
    Last edited by huntinslabs; 09-26-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    Likes specktacklure, Phantom309 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Mullet, no thanks - just not for me. I'm with Mike on that one, the only bait I eat is shrimp.

Swamp cabbage though is very good when cooked properly. An older member of our hunting camp, cooks up a big pot every year, we go out and cut down a few trees then he preps & cook it with sausage and other veggies - very tasty !!

Cool videos !! There's a guy that sells it every year at the Crescent City catfish festival that is very good !! He even sells the hearts of palm raw and you can take it home & cook it however you want.
    The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?"

Post Thanks / Like

Ty Phantom. If life could only be that simple again. Don
    I don't mind sharing where I caught my fish.
    Most was caught in their mouth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman93 View Post
    Name:  IMG_0919.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  119.6 KB I do know of several creeks off Jessup that have good crappie this time of the year though!

I know where you are

Winter time when the wind's blowin......crappie, about early march I tear the boat apart and set it up for cobia/dolphin, then change over to taking coworkers who arent afraid of a 14ft boat out for kingfish during the summer, and about late august when its just too hot to do anything i tear the boat apart and set it up for crappie again.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast