HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Crappie Rod Start to Finish

Post Thanks / Like

CrappieWrangler, Us as members, and I maybe wrong in this, can not make stickies. It's a thread saved at the beginning of a section of threads like these and is a permanent file like when someone opens up to the rod building section at the top above all other thread subjects is the sticky. No matter how many people/ members start a subject matter the stickies are always at the very top. And I think it's either the moderators or Skip are the only ones who can make something a sticky...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

I just found this thread -- went to the beginning and followed it all the way through... I soaked up everything until I got to the bag of cookies... I have taken some older rods, reworked the guides and Epoxy then Two coats of Urethane to finish but never started with a Blank
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

First off, it’s not possible to build a rod without a bag of cookies. . From what you have done already the only difference would be installing the reel seat and grips. If you shop carefully you can get a blank relatively cheep. Pick the blank and components you would most like to have and go for it. I like St Croix blanks but there are a lot of less expensive ones out there to be had. Pac Bay has some good inexpensive blanks. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

I jave a question for you. How do I get a short video from my iPhone to here?

Post Thanks / Like

I mean a video recorded on my iPhone to a post.

Post Thanks / Like

A source for finding where to get fishing rod components.

Pacific Bay International Dealer locator at top of page.

Engineering
    - St. Croix Rods
    Dealer locator at top of page.

You can go to Mudhole and get most anything but I seldom trade wit them. Barlows tackle has a lot of stuff and places like The Rod Room does also.

Having a wholesale license as a rule I don't purchase from retail outlets.

Post Thanks / Like

What type of thread do you use for the decorative wraps?

Post Thanks / Like

This thread has now been added as a sticky at the top of the page.

There is also a sticky relating to where to purchase materials and componants.

As a general rule of thumb for me, I do not purchase blanks from any company that manufactures rods and sells them. I've had issues in the past where it appears that you are getting "Seconds" or less than desirable blanks. Also, when building to sell, it is hard to be able to utilize a blank from a company that builds rods as you are now competing with their price points as well.

Any thread can be utilized for decorative wraps. Pac Bay, ProWrap, Sulky, and Madeira are all good. I always use threadlock even if the threads are color safe and are not supposed to bleed. It makes a much better finish product as it fills in the thread voids and helps eliminate bubbles.

I have a $700 Sage blank that I need to start working on. Maybe I'll do a thread on that rod. That is if I ever decide what exactly I am going to do with it. It has only been in a rod tube in my office for 2 years now.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes crappie wrangler, KyTyer, Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use thread from a company that has been out of business for many years. I just have a lot of their thread. At the time they were the big name in thread.

Post Thanks / Like

I was out fishing that’s why the slow response.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes redfin00 LIKED above post

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast