I'll have to dig up some old data on the "why" some companies started making the graphite and polyurethane arbors. I believe Fuji did some testing quite awhile ago and found some science that worked to their logic.

If we look hard enough however, we can always find someone or some thing to support our logic.

That being said, tape has been utilized as long as rods have been made and a ton of us have rods that have them as many store bought rods still use them.

For me, I prefer the graphite or poly arbors due to some personal testing for a few applications. With that however, I will provide a BUT... I've only ever tested one type of tape. I suspect that this tape doesn't allow the epoxy to flow through it. If it did, it would create a solid piece allowing vibration to travel from blank to reel seat. That, might be the main issue. Similar to adding rubber.

My question as I have not tested this: Have any of you guys tested differences in reel seats? I've used aluminum, wood, graphite, and so on, but never on similar rods to see if it makes a difference.