HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Piece or One piece Rods?

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a professional rod builder put a length of fishing line on his rods I was checking out in showing me the sensitivity of the rod blanks he used. Compared 2 identical rods that were next step up from ultra light called ultra light med. rod blank. One rod was 2 piece other was single piece. He commented not only did the rod blanks deliver same sensitivity but also the type of rod guides and how they were attached to the rod blanks and basically any more, there is not much if any difference between a two piece or single piece rod blank, but how it’s made and put together plus the rod guides thrown into the equation. The name of the rod builder is Jim Grandt and he is also in the Freshwater fishing hall of fame. He builds some super beautiful rods of which are my favorite to use when casting a jig for crappie and gills.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post
    Thanks jackie53, Cropduster1968 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The difference in sensitivity between 1-2 piece rods is so small, there would be no statistical significant difference if you tested people while they are blindfolded.
    Thanks jackie53 thanked you for this post

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the post great info.Thanks again.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Jackie you will love a st.croix rod. I have one myself and they are great. I don't think there's as big of a difference as it was 20 years ago. Pull the trigger if you want it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Love using my 2 piece st. Croix UL 7’ on crappie and gills.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I've glued all my two pc rods together. Never had a problem with rod action being altered. My longer rods (over 6.5') are all one pc..
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 07-22-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wicklundrh shared his preference for a 2-piece, I beleve it's a 7', rod he made. I hope to make one in the not too distant future. I like to have some two-piece rods just for the versatility of hauling. I'm not a bass tournament fisherman but have both one-piece and two-piece bass rods and like both. If not traveling with a boat I'll place my two-piece rods in the rod carrier and not feel like I'm missing out on anything.
    Pass the "Sportsman Baton" on before you're gone, promote values for others to hunt and fish upon.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

From many years of preference, I feel that a one piece rod would be more sensitive. That said, I have many two piece rods. The question I usually ask is what will I be doing with it and is it sensitive enough. The test I use is to cast and retrieve a super light jig, like1/64 for example. Cast and let the jig fall through the water column and wait for a thump. That jig or lighter sometimes has almost no thump when they are biting in a stingie manner. If you can feel that, or the mouth of a small bluegill closing on the jig when he’s swimming toward you, it’s good enough for me. The newer glass on glass ferrules transfers more feeling than past offerings. Someone posted that they glue them together which I think would take care of any loss of sensitivity. Haven’t tried that yet but if the correct glue or epoxy was used I think it would work fine.
    All this said so far by all of us, I say to use the best you can afford and don’t be disappointed if it doesn’t cost as much as your buddies. We all do what we can and enjoy what we do. No need to change that unless you want to.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Skeet we are casting 1/64 oz jigheads on 2 LB Test in 20-30 FT and deeper into the tops of submerged Timber in gin clear water.Not much feel on the line maybe see the line jump indicates a Fish.
    Thanks Skeet have been searching your post researching lite line and lite action Rods.
    Its amazing how far we have came our home lake.
    Catching nice crappie in July.Our hardest times are August.Time will tell.
    Thanks Skeet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Thanks skeetbum thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It took me a minute to get through all of the information but I'll do my best to try and answer a few questions, put a few myths to bed, and maybe start a few fire storms!!!!

So, as some may know, I've been in the custom rod business for quite awhile. By business, I mean (I built or build a lot of rods). I rarely build and sell rods anymore (whole different story).

First questions: Are two piece rods less sensative than a one piece rod. Short answer. NO!
    I can build a SJ-9000-2 7'6" medium light fast action rod and an SJ-9000-1 in the same action and you couldn't tell the difference when built the same.
    I could also build them where you could tell the difference~!

For the most part, the eyes of the rod play more in to the overall weight of the rod then they do feel. That being said, the lighter the rod, usually the more felt sensativity.

The NUMBER 1 thing that gives sensativity to a rod is the ARBOR. The arbor is the matieral that is UNDER the reel seat and takes up the gap between the rod blank and the reel seat itself.

For years, cheaper rods utilized one of the cheapest and deadest products on the market (masking tape). You take masking tape and build up the blank until it fits the arbor. This has been done in the custom business as well.

Of course, even higher end rods do this. The only way to know what is in one is to either ask the company (if they will tell you) or cut one. The best products are urethane arbors, carbon fiber, or graphite. So, if you are having a rod built, ASK what they use for an arbor.

Next with sensativity is the materials used to make the rods. In the days of old, heavy glass materials were used. Today, we are talking about high end modulus graphite, and mixed fiber materials. All is this is done to increase sensativity and reduce weight.

Next is the handle. You primarily have three basic choices. EVA foam being the deadest. Folled by cheap cork, and then number 1 grade A cork. Many rod companies have gone as far as to get in to the SPLIT GRIP phase. Unfortunately, this comes at a cost. The cost is that a lot of these rods do not balance good in the hand. Some companies are now getting smart and actually creating reel seats with openings directly to the blank. Others are having their seats built to match the blank size exactly so they do not have to use an arbor.

If you ever go to a rod booth at a show, notice that they have carpet on the floor. This is for a reason. The reason is for you to BOUNCE the rod tip on the floor! This will help you with feel.

I've been asked this question 1 million times. What rod company would I use if I purchased one off the shelf? NUMBER 1 is Fenwick. Even though Gary sold the rod company a long time ago, and I don't like what they did, G. Loomis is still in the number 2 spot. Favorite has slowly climbed into the number 3 slot for me. St. Croix doesn't make my top five!

If you want a custom rod built, here is the blanks I would recommend at this point in time. All of them are used for different things based on who and what. MHX, Batson, SAGE, AT, to name a few.

Basically put, I could take a 10 dollar blank and make it 100 times more sensative than a company that builds it and sells it for 30 bucks in the store. That said, custom rods cost money for a reason! They are custom. They are built light weight with the best componants to provide the best balance, sensativity, and feel for the purpose they are built and for the specific user.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes stormcloud LIKED above post
    Thanks jackie53, SpeckledSlab, skeetbum thanked you for this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast