Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plastic Sizes

Post Thanks / Like

I use a zoom 3 inch alewife colored fluke on a big eye jighead for Large crappie. In the fall and winter. I was fishing a large school of spotted bass with this and vertical jigging. Caught a ton of spotted bass , but, I also caught 18 1and 3/4 to 2 and 3/4 pound crappie. Have been using this bait for a while when targeting large crappie. Seems to be a deep water bait. Start on bottom and quiver it up the water column. Surprising how close to the bottom the big ones are. This is on Toledo Bend.

Post Thanks / Like

i have also noticed river fish tend to eat bigger baits than lake fish. dont be afraid of those 3"ers.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20180707_083510.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  69.4 KB
    Name:  20180610_204222.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  48.0 KB

Even the little guys try chomping this bait down..

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish I hadn't read this post. I just ordered 400 Arkie 2 1/2" tube jigs for next spring. I'm staying with gnats and minnows
    for this fall.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

When to use larger lures:
    1. when the bite is very aggressive like before and during a light rain
    2. depending on the lake. Some waters are underfished and hold larger crappie than the norm for that region. Larger fish have no qualms striking larger lures.

Generally speaking, IMO, a size range is usually good to stay with when it comes to crappie no matter the water. Lure design is another matter.
    My size range depending on water temperature is 1.5"-2.5"; I use 10 lure designs equally in that range with equal results (fish caught).

Post Thanks / Like

I run the whole show myself ...sometimes in the late summer and fall really large baits are really good
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

and btw ...just yesterday I dropped a whopper stopper ….just saying
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    When to use larger lures:
    1. when the bite is very aggressive like before and during a light rain.
    I have to question this. IF - crappie are affected by cold fronts the way bass are? In our last report, it showed this to be in question to some degree.

We had just had a very severe cold front (thunder storms and heavy downpours) come through after a 7 day heat wave (with temps during that period well over 90 deg.). Air started out on this particular day at 51 degrees with blue bird skies. Supposedly awful condition for fishing (from a bass fisherman's point of view). Yet we had a good day with the larger, gawdy colored combinations proving to be very productive. Fishing never ceases to amaze me!

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/the-new-england-states/377591-report-7-7-18-a/

"A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I catch very few crappie on small natural colored baits....mainly white crappie where I fish and they like larger baits and crazy color combinations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If they will swallow a 4 in crank bait then a 3 in plastic is a snack to them.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes "G" LIKED above post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12