HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pushing Crankbaits?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckWick View Post
    I am assuming you guys are pushing cranks on pretty much open flats? Seems it would get pretty expensive otherwise.
    Yeah, at least that's my intentions. I can handle slow trolling jigs/minnows in the upper arms of our lake, but my main goal is to figure out this crank-pushing deal on down in the main lake where it's timber-free.....and it being the no-live-bait method I'm wanting it to be. I think you're right......it probably would get real expensive - and busy, busy trying to get that $4 cranbait loose from the wood.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Any crankbait will work. Most of mine are out of the bargin bin at walmart and arkie crappie crankbaits. I push cranks with a ounce and half weight and speed from .5 to 1 mph. I catch fish. Few weeks ago i was catch them suspended next to a single weed out in open water. Just running crankbait above or grazing the top of weed. One thing about pushing if you got downscan on front of boat like i do you can see the crankbait under you and set depth without line counter reel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks cva34 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I do a setup similar to your top one, but I usually put just a jig in the top slot. Guess I am just thinking I got enough hooks with the crank on the bottom already. I hadn't really thought about putting to cranks on like that, so I may have to give it a try the next time I am out and doing that.

Post Thanks / Like

I great read, lets do it again!

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to try this, how long of a leader do you run from the weight. Reading threads looks like some are using Bass Pro trolling 1 oz weights. I need something to rig up with all the rain we have.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoe View Post
    I would like to try this, how long of a leader do you run from the weight. Reading threads looks like some are using Bass Pro trolling 1 oz weights. I need something to rig up with all the rain we have.
    Tater ... you'll get dozens of different answers from a dozen different people on how much weight to use, what length leader, etc., etc.

Around here, the crank Pushers I know are normally using 2oz trolling weights & 5ft leaders, and generally Push at about 1.8mph ... but, I've done it with less weight, shorter leaders, and no more than 1mph ... and caught fish.

They use line counter reels filled with 30lb braid or 10lb mono, and the leader line is usually 6lb test mono. I use baitcast reels w/thumbars and similar size line/leader riggings. (but, I Push jigs more often than cranks)
    Thanks cva34 thanked you for this post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever speed your running pushing cranks....you want enough weight to keep your line from laying back over 45 degrees. I run 1.8 mph with a 3 oz weight. I use 10 lb. Mono and no leader. I place the weight 3 ft above the crankbaits. I use trolling weights you can get them at BPS and Grizzly JIG ....or from ScottV on the MS board he makes some nice ones....torpedo shaped with swivel built in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I have 6lb test on my 3 poles , so maybe I should start with 1.5 oz

Post Thanks / Like

I pushed for the first time this past weekend using 1.5 oz weights. I got up to around 1.8 mph and my line started to come back at an angle a bit. I don’t think the rods I’m using can handle much more weight so I’m gonna slow down some lol

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    2014 Stinger 195
    Drift master rod holders

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234