Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Almost Time!

Post Thanks / Like

I was up at MTL Thursday and Friday. Mostly pulled cranks did some tree jigging caught most our fish pulling cranks it was pretty slow we did clean about 40. One nice 12” fish the rest were 9.25” fish. I was surprised how small they were I usually get them in the 10-11 “ range with a few 13s. Still had a great time blue chrome and a darker blue bandit 300 were our best colors. Hope you all get em this weekend. I put on a driftmaster 5100 last week and just loved it. Made trolling a lot easier. My nephew caught his biggest bass on the crank bait. Was pretty cool. Friends in another boat landed a 21” walleye.Name:  IMG_0343.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  173.4 KBName:  IMG_0341.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  130.5 KBName:  IMG_0340.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  133.0 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes dfar, "G", hdhntr LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Way to go....good catch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Update: dad and friend were forced off the lake due to this little guy:

Name:  5DFE652B-AF6F-4003-9DFB-F1DEB55997FE.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  118.9 KB

Had 6 goodins in the box on cranks.

U

Post Thanks / Like

need the rain to fill up the lakes don't we? at least I wasn't on them when it hit!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, after the storm, Saturday was basically a bust for dad and friend other than he installed his new GPS module in the trolling motor and got a new A/C unit put into the cabin.

Sunday, was a different story. Took Gramps out for his birthday and they had a good time crankin. Caught a good mess of crappie and also soaked into this guy:

Name:  Eye.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  50.6 KB

Better time comin' however, not a bad start to the crankin season.

U
    Likes Speck, IL_Hunter, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

So U, (and Speck) say you're pulling bandit 200's and trying to get, say...9' deep, so you're running 45' back, but then you got a couple you're running on a board, do you let out 45' of line, then your board, then however much line to get it out away from the boat and clear of the other rods?

I typically only run 10 or so feet off the board, but I'm sure I don't have my depth right at that point. Just seems like I'd get into trouble disconnecting the board and then reeling in all that line...like, it would come in and foul the other poles?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joedog View Post
    So U, (and Speck) say you're pulling bandit 200's and trying to get, say...9' deep, so you're running 45' back, but then you got a couple you're running on a board, do you let out 45' of line, then your board, then however much line to get it out away from the boat and clear of the other rods?

I typically only run 10 or so feet off the board, but I'm sure I don't have my depth right at that point. Just seems like I'd get into trouble disconnecting the board and then reeling in all that line...like, it would come in and foul the other poles?
    JD,

Depending on what part of the water column we are targeting, we'll run 100's, 200's, 300's, flicker 5's and flicker 7's and yes, use your speed + length of line from the board to the crank to determine your depth. In my opinion, it's much more accurate than trying to determine the amount of line out of the water if running them without boards. You can really dial it in this way. As an example, the last trip up here, we quickly figured out that the fish wanted a blue tiger flicker #5, running in 9-10 ft. of water and specifically 65 feet from the crank to the board. That setup outperformed all others 15:1. Also, atleast for us, if we are up on a flat we'll continue our targeted speed and try to dig the deeper running cranks into the gravel (you'll see your rods bounce) as that oftentimes entices a bite.

If you're running a 200 only 10 feet behind the board, depending on your speed, I bet your only running 3-4 feet deep, max. Not where you want to be if you are targeting summertime crappie. This is also where line counter reels play an enormous factor. We use line counters EXCLUSIVELY when cranking......I'm anal-retentive and absolutely MUST know where my baits are running at all time.

As for the planers, you'll get into a rhythm and learn what works best for you. I find that when boarding for crappie, we are best suited to run two boards off each side and then 4 - 6 rods straight off the back (you can get away with this in the murkier lakes) and if you pick a fish up, just rotate the position and length of line on the board that remains. Also, when you hook a fish, they will generally elevate and that means you can bring the board in, unclip, and then "ski" the fish across your other lines. This does NOT happen when you smack a catfish or walleye........they are basically in the water to create a mess. Speaking of fish "elevating", always check the angle of your line. If it's super flat, you're likely dragging one.

I'm sure Speck can offer much more insight on the tactic but, once you figure it out, you're addicted. So much more water coverage.

U
    Likes Clownfish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I figured as much with the boards...that I was running shallower. I get a lot fewer hookups on those rods, but they're also the ones to cause the most problems with snags or fouled baits or whatever....and it just takes SO much more work to get those straightened out that I've more or less given up on using them except up north, instead just running four out the back. Cover less water, but....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route U View Post
    JD,

Depending on what part of the water column we are targeting, we'll run 100's, 200's, 300's, flicker 5's and flicker 7's and yes, use your speed + length of line from the board to the crank to determine your depth. In my opinion, it's much more accurate than trying to determine the amount of line out of the water if running them without boards. You can really dial it in this way. As an example, the last trip up here, we quickly figured out that the fish wanted a blue tiger flicker #5, running in 9-10 ft. of water and specifically 65 feet from the crank to the board. That setup outperformed all others 15:1. Also, atleast for us, if we are up on a flat we'll continue our targeted speed and try to dig the deeper running cranks into the gravel (you'll see your rods bounce) as that oftentimes entices a bite.

If you're running a 200 only 10 feet behind the board, depending on your speed, I bet your only running 3-4 feet deep, max. Not where you want to be if you are targeting summertime crappie. This is also where line counter reels play an enormous factor. We use line counters EXCLUSIVELY when cranking......I'm anal-retentive and absolutely MUST know where my baits are running at all time.

As for the planers, you'll get into a rhythm and learn what works best for you. I find that when boarding for crappie, we are best suited to run two boards off each side and then 4 - 6 rods straight off the back (you can get away with this in the murkier lakes) and if you pick a fish up, just rotate the position and length of line on the board that remains. Also, when you hook a fish, they will generally elevate and that means you can bring the board in, unclip, and then "ski" the fish across your other lines. This does NOT happen when you smack a catfish or walleye........they are basically in the water to create a mess. Speaking of fish "elevating", always check the angle of your line. If it's super flat, you're likely dragging one.

I'm sure Speck can offer much more insight on the tactic but, once you figure it out, you're addicted. So much more water coverage.

U
    Great info Route U thanks for all the details. I'm pretty new to cranking and now that I have a rack to hold my rods I will certainly do it more. So much easier with proper rod holders.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It's Almost Time!

I downloaded the PTD (Precision Trolling Data) app on my Iphone. You have to purchase each type of lure chart separately. Usually $1.99 or so for each lure.
    Then I can dial in the type of crank and the depth I want it to run. The app will tell you how much line to have out. For instance, if I have Bandit 300's on some rods and want them to run 10 feet deep, the app shows I need 38 feet of line out running 10# mono. There is a different chart for braid. If I have Flicker Shad 7's on different rods, I'd need 61 feet of line out to get 10 feet down. On my boards, If running two out each side, I'll stagger them 20 feet apart (ie. 4o feet and 20 feet.) If running three boards on each side, I'll put them at 60, 40 and 20. That gives me 128 feet of coverage including the boat. Like RouteU said, when you catch a fish on an outside board, rotated the other inside board to the outside and so on. I also run long lines out the back on different rods.Name:  IMG_0611.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  125.8 KBName:  IMG_0610.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  125.0 KB

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast