Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ACT Tournament Weights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bandchaser View Post
    I won't disclose my source but heard that representatives of either the ACT and/or the tourism team spoke to the fisherman Thursday night. Informed them to be positive about the lake, and to not worry folks with the current problems and issues withe the Asian carp.
    This truly disappoints me because they put money, sponsors and tourism up as a front and want folks to smile and look the other way. We can not afford to continue to push our heads into the sand on this issue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    They never said to not mention the carp or issues with the lake, the point I believe they were trying to make and avoid was 73 teams walking across the weigh in scales ALL complaining they didn't catch fish or low weights because of the carp. Everyone already knows there is a problem but nobody wants to watch a weigh in and hear every single team complaining and making excuses. There is a bunch of guys fishing that trail that call KY Lake their home lake and there were many discussions about what the potential problem(s) may be. There will probably be a few articles/interviews coming out soon that took place last weekend that can explain this better than I can

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes pab1981 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pab1981 View Post
    We didn't fish ACT but I did watch the weigh-ins online. No doubt the weights were terrible but not sure why anyone that has fished the lake recently expected any different. Hopefully some of the different baitfish species will spawn soon and provide more food than they have had the last few months. Even with everyone knowing the fishing was going to be tough last weekend, ACT still had one if it's larger turnouts since their conception. There is also more to where these tours go or don't go than good fishing or carpless fishing. Why do you think none of the tours have chose to have north end weigh-ins in Marshall County since way before everyone was concerned with the carp? I don't really see what Crappie Master's payouts have to do with this thread. They are a site sponsor and have nice tournaments too.
    Austin, I would safely say that money is the reason for not having north end weigh in's. I believe there is some competition or bidding involved, and Paris Landing tourism normally comes out on top most of the time.
    CUSA had the first north end weigh in this year that I can remember. And their November 2 day tourney will be weighing in at Kuttawa.
    Crappie Master's is a very good tour, but more teams are fishing the ACT due to the increased payout. They both have tv shows, both have good tournaments, but one is definitely more payout promising than the other.

I forsee these tours leaving the twin lakes in the future. Turnout and weights are drastically down. Other misfortunes for the community will be coming down the pipeline due to the Asian carp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Super D View Post
    They never said to not mention the carp or issues with the lake, the point I believe they were trying to make and avoid was 73 teams walking across the weigh in scales ALL complaining they didn't catch fish or low weights because of the carp. Everyone already knows there is a problem but nobody wants to watch a weigh in and hear every single team complaining and making excuses. There is a bunch of guys fishing that trail that call KY Lake their home lake and there were many discussions about what the potential problem(s) may be. There will probably be a few articles/interviews coming out soon that took place last weekend that can explain this better than I can

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Bingo, a lot of guys that fish all three trails call KY/Barkley home and pay membership fees to the trails every year. They could very well walk away from our lakes at some point, but they would be leaving quite of bit of money on the table. The majority of the people that tournament fish here locally aren't going to follow these tours to other lakes no matter how you dress it up.

I heard some mention of the guys that fished this weekend starting to look into what is going on the lakes. I hope they come up with something and glad to see someone is doing something besides complaining.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappiehabits View Post
    I was reading on the Alabama board the other day. A lot of the guys are getting worried because the carp are making their way up the Tennessee river to pickwick, wheeler and guntersville. All everyone kept saying was, “ look how terrible they are at ky lake”, and “ I hope they do more here in Alabama to solve the problem than
    ky has done.”

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    I live in Alabama and I contacted some state legislators. They are concerned. Please contact yours
    Likes blueball, Slabprowler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by footballcoach View Post
    I live in Alabama and I contacted some state legislators. They are concerned. Please contact yours
    concerned yeah, BUT are they doing anything about it?
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Bingo, a lot of guys that fish all three trails call KY/Barkley home and pay membership fees to the trails every year. They could very well walk away from our lakes at some point, but they would be leaving quite of bit of money on the table. The majority of the people that tournament fish here locally aren't going to follow these tours to other lakes no matter how you dress it up.

I heard some mention of the guys that fished this weekend starting to look into what is going on the lakes. I hope they come up with something and glad to see someone is doing something besides complaining.
    If "these fisherman" are just now going to start looking into the why and how come, I'm sorry but they are 10 years too late. KY is leading the charge, but the letters I've gotten back from our so called legislative supporters there will be no, I mean zero support.
    Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell offices did not respond what so ever. I got an 36 hour or less response from Comer, and a 48 hour generic response from the White House.
    I'm sorry, but nobody is truly worried about these lakes besides us, the local fisherman, the ones that have grown up or traveled here and now moved here for what use to be a fantastic fishery.

One day we will wake up and it's all gone, destroyed for some stupid catfish ponds that people were too lazy to clean. And then our government turned their backs on us, hoping we would not notice.

Likes quadlee, redearhoosier LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Some of "these fisherman" hold biology degrees and are some of the most traveled, knowledgeable crappie fisherman on the planet. I personally welcome any effort that they or anyone else is willing to make to try and solve a complex problem. Nobody knows the future, maybe these guys look at things from a different angle and start something that leads to the lakes getting better. Success or fail, it has to be more productive or positive than gloom and doom internet whining and prophecing that serves no purpose other than hurting local guides and businesses. No need to quote me or reply on my account, I am checking out now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I'm from the north, but fished the tournament... I know we caught some sick fish, but we caught over 200 I would consider healthy crappie, as well. The bass are crazy healthy, and heard of guys catching BIG redear. We noticed the majority of the 9-10" didn't look skinny, so figured maybe they're young enough to be raised on Asian Carp fry!?! Lake Michigan was supposed to be over run with the Gobi (small fish that eat roe, fry), and it was for about 4 years, until the smallmouth decided to eat them like wildfire... wouldn't it be great if the crappie and bass did the same thing. We seen a lot of shad fry on the surface, so that was a good sign. I'm praying for you boys... a lot folks but a TON of work into that lake.

I'll be coming back...
    Ask me about: Bobby Garland, CrappiePro, Yeti Coolers, Power-Pole, and Simms Products!
    Likes redearhoosier, blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Some of "these fisherman" hold biology degrees and are some of the most traveled, knowledgeable crappie fisherman on the planet. I personally welcome any effort that they or anyone else is willing to make to try and solve a complex problem. Nobody knows the future, maybe these guys look at things from a different angle and start something that leads to the lakes getting better. Success or fail, it has to be more productive or positive than gloom and doom internet whining and prophecing that serves no purpose other than hurting local guides and businesses. No need to quote me or reply on my account, I am checking out now.

Does not matter to a hill of beans how many biology degrees "these fisherman" have without funds from the Government its all useless. Im sure they have some great ideas , but dont have the funds to pursue them.
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I really am checking out of this thread but since you quoted me even though I asked to not be and got a notification on my phone I will drop back in for a second.

Like it or not, Kdfwr and whatever Tennessee's version of acronym are still the guys and gals the big, bad Government has entrusted with overseeing these fisheries. Although we have all seen degrees of decline in the health of the fisheries over a timetable that is also debatable, the data that has been collected by the biologists last fall using time tested and generally accepted practices doesn't support the idea that the crappie are in worse shape than other times in the past or that the Asian Carp Armageddon is here yet. Do you really believe that with all the problems in this country that these guys are going to write a blank check because a small group of fisherman are complaining but their own people don't have the data at present to back it up? I kind of doubt it. Does that mean I believe there is no cause for concern or need for action? No. Is it possible that when the biologists pull nets this fall that they won't find historically low fish health stats? Absolutely, barring better bait spawns. You can point fingers at the biologists and the Government all you want for past and present grievances but that isn't going to help things any at all.

Again just like complaing about the fishing, what good are you doing complaining about the Government here? If you or anyone else doesn't feel like the Government is allocating the funds necessary to work on the problem there are always other avenues. How about organizing a group to figure out how to raise funds privately to work on the problem? Do I think we can truely fix the problem without big time funding? Probably not, but I can guarantee you enough money could be raised to further research the issue and data collected from that research might be able to be presented to the Government on down the road leading to progress.

There are also local leaders that have a proven track record of working with the Government to advocate for fisherman. How many of you guys talked to Wade in Lyon county and asked what we need to do to help him fight this fight with us? Can those of us that live in Marshall county work to elect a Judge Exec that is willing to represent us in the fight?

Like I said before, I am open to anyone's ideas for doing something positive but could care less about hearing anymore whining. At the end of the day this may not even be a problem we can solve. It may be a problem God solves for us when He is ready but in the mean time please think about how we can help and be productive. I really am checking out now, I have a week off now and plan on enjoying what is actually still some pretty good fishing.
    Quote Originally Posted by quadlee View Post
    Does not matter to a hill of beans how many biology degrees "these fisherman" have without funds from the Government its all useless. Im sure they have some great ideas , but dont have the funds to pursue them.
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion
    Likes Pirogue LIKED above post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast