HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another pix of the possible new world record

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    Nothing posted yet on TWRA website
    Probably won't be until they get it tested for correct species ID.

Here's the quote from the article I got my info from :

"Fishing on a local pond in Paint Rock, Tenn. late on the evening of May 15, 2018, angler Jam Ferguson landed the fish of a lifetime when he caught a 5-pound, 4.6-ounce black crappie. The fish was weighed on TN Toad Scales that night, and the scales were later certified and the fish reweighed on May 16, 2018 by TWRA officials. Pending a DNA test, it should be the official new Tennessee state record black crappie, eclipsing the former record of 4 pounds, 4 ounces set back in 1985."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesraider View Post
    That is one heck of a catch!! I may be alone on this one, but I do wish they would have separate records for pond caught fish as opposed to larger bodies of water.
    No your not alone; here in Oklahoma we have ten state records which came from "private" farm ponds including both of our white and black crappie state records. A few years ago since it is unlikely that those records would ever be broken from a public fishery the state started what is called "Lake Records" so now each individual lake that is under ODWC keeps an individual record. So now for those who have an interest in records has a chance to set or break a record.

Post Thanks / Like

Below are the pictures and stats from the Oklahoma ODWC state records page, it looks like the "Black" crappie is really a white and the "White" looks more like a black to me; plus the black crappie measures larger but is smaller in weight, of course counting the spines tell a better truth than just looking at color patterns.

Black Crappie - Lbs. 4-10, Length 20, Girth 17 3/4, Date 6/16/1974.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/re...h/bcrappie.jpg

White Crappie - Lbs. 4-15, Length 19, Girth 16 1/4, Date 5/4/1991.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/re...h/wcrappie.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

id have to agree with ya on that, but hard to tell from pics like u say.

Post Thanks / Like

the mounted fish could be either. The taxidermist painted it as a white. The other sure looks like a black.
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.

Post Thanks / Like

Was that Tennessee fish caught from a public or private pond.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesraider View Post
    That is one heck of a catch!! I may be alone on this one, but I do wish they would have separate records for pond caught fish as opposed to larger bodies of water.
    Having to have a standard for every species of fish in a variety of lake sizes would be tough . How about red ear in a farm pond vs reservoirs ? 200 acre state lake vs 300 acre state lake . Private/public I could see but even then would private lakes be eligible for world records ? kind of like corn fed high fence deer hunting .

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Its seems to me like records should be from Public waters.....kinda like natural grown instead of farm fed.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes crp4570 LIKED above post
    Thanks Eagle 1 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I may be in the minority but Idc if it came from a pond or a 5000 ac lake. I would be absolutely ecstatic. As I'm sure he is, I hope he gets the record. Not all ponds are stocked or fed. But most large bodies are stocked yearly so how is it any different?
    Likes pg3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Fish don't look natural IDC if caught on a private pond of public impoundment.
    I've caught a huge black crappie "4#" on a public lake. Caught it on a 12" black plastic worm while bass fishing. It has a lot to do with what kind and how much food is available. He was probably bass or cat fishing with night crawlers or crawfish.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast