HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Perch Fishing with Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's a pig for a male.

Danny, you will catch a walleye when you come up, and a perch. We can make you an honorary member of Michigan Team Overalls, too. Sort of like the exchange student program but for old guys.
    The older I get the more I realize the therapeutic benefits of fishing
    Proud member of Michigan chapter "Team Overalls"
    Worlds proudest grandpa x6
    Likes "D", Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spartannation View Post
    We can make you an honorary member of Michigan Team Overalls, too. Sort of like the exchange student program but for old guys.
    With the secret decoder ring and handshake included!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    2017 MiCDC fall crappie guide of the year (FCGOTY)
    Member: “Michigan chapter of Team Overalls
    Haulin Ash Fishing Rocks-"D"
    Caution: If we fish together, you may be on YouTube
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    I have to be careful with my secret spots!

Walleye fished yesterday and caught 15. Had rookies who lost about 30. This was trolling. We did catch 18 small mouth. Very odd to find that many in one area while trolling. All the bass were 2 plus pound stout fish. Was a good time. It appears I may have done better than others while trolling.
    Let me guess up in the banana dike

Also caught a nice small mouth,probably would of better but some knuckle head forgot his rod holders

Post Thanks / Like

That’s funny, I couldn’t buy a Walleye on the Lake Sunday night, or Saturday.

Well Sunday I got one, but it was to small.

Saturday, I caught a “Kings Ransom” of White Bass.

I stopped counting @ 22. Was a good course in Planer boards though.

Have to figure some things out, like pulling in an outside board with out making a mess.

Only on tangle each day......

So I call that some sort of success.
    Custom Rods: Out-Snagging Berkly's 7-2 Since 2019 / Custom Rods: Collecting more dust that Berkley due to Covid Since 2020
    Custom Rods: Not afraid to show, in 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Ready2Fish, got to see a Pollack in action vs a tent.

I got to see his new boat. Pretty sweet, if he reports that the launch steps for his boat are missing with no visible damage to his trailer, and parts missing, DON’T, look in my garage, or at the steps mounted on my trailer.

They are SWEET, especially for a person who launches solo.

OE
    Custom Rods: Out-Snagging Berkly's 7-2 Since 2019 / Custom Rods: Collecting more dust that Berkley due to Covid Since 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered a new Green Bay landing net, ended up breaking mine on a monster of a fish Saturday

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneidaEagle View Post
    Ready2Fish, got to see a Pollack in action vs a tent.

I got to see his new boat. Pretty sweet, if he reports that the launch steps for his boat are missing with no visible damage to his trailer, and parts missing, DON’T, look in my garage, or at the steps mounted on my trailer.

They are SWEET, especially for a person who launches solo.

OE
    And it's all true what they say about pollocks,LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ready2fish View Post
    Just ordered a new Green Bay landing net, ended up breaking mine on a monster of a fish Saturday
    FISH Story..........

Want to know what really occurred?????,

OE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ready2fish View Post
    Let me guess up in the banana dike

Also caught a nice small mouth,probably would of better but some knuckle head forgot his rod holders
    Nope! Not up by the Banana dyke.

I wanted to stay as far away from that goat rodeo as possible (no offense to wilbur). I heard reports of launches being full and people being turned away by 6:30am. I would have like to launch out of LEMP because of the close proximity to where I was fishing however, I knew better!!!

I got to Sterling State park around 7:05 and parked at the back of the lot. Within 5 minutes my customers (who were early) had arrived. We exchanged some small talk, plesentries, and got the boat ready. They were all in their 50's and have been friends since they were 4. It was like being around my friends. Everybody ribbing each other. I fit right in!!!

A lesson for people seeking walleye in open water this time of year: They are still in spawning mode. NOT all fish spawn in the rivers. In fact, a large portion of them spawn in open water. What do they need in order to spawn??? STRUCTURE! That is how you can narrow down areas in a vast expanse of open water.

When I motored out, there must have been 30 boats around Sterling point. I am not quite sure if they had something going or if it was a classic case of "Monkey See, Monkey Do". Regardless, I wanted no part of it. There is very little structure in Breast bay for me to key on.

I made the 10 mile run north to the outside of Pt. Moulee and fished the dumping grounds. For those not familiar, dumping grounds are designated areas for dredge companies to dump dredge tailings. What does this create? Structure! They are usually marked on your GPS with a dotted line box. This structure creates humps, valleys, troughs, and pits. The fish well be on the front or back or top of these humps.

I was the only boat there. After awhile, there were about 30 boats in view but none of them really stayed around too long. They must not have been catching anything. I worked the same exact area all day long. We caught 15 but they lost or missed an additional 30 or more fish. Doubles, triples, and quads were not uncommon.

Early in the day, flicker minnows in neatral colors set up high in the water colume did most the damage. 30 to 45 back. Purple passion was hot then died.
    When the fish moved down, copperhead 73 back was the hot baits along with slick smelt at 63 back being a close second. We were fishing 18ft of water and the humps came up to 13 feet. Running 73 back puts you down 15 ft and 63 is down 14feet. At times, those outside baits would tick the tops of the humps.

We did manage a few late in the day up high as well.

With Walleye fishing, when in doubt, ALWAYS locate structure! I'm not sure how others did out there. Judging from the quitness of the radio and lack of word on the internet, I assume they did not fair well. The one boat I did talk to fished all day and caught NOTHING.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Also, they were speed sensative. Pay close attention when you go through an area. If you are running North and catch more fish than running south, chances are there is a current. Your baits are moving faster going in one direction vice the other. Also, when making turns, if you start getting hits on your outside boards, you probably should speed up when going straight. Those outside boards will speed up in a turn and IF that triggers a strike, you are going to slow! Just a few tips to help out.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast