HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Weiss Lake - What needs to be done to make it better ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weiss Lake - What needs to be done to make it better ?

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    These caught on Lake Jordan, a Coosa River lake south of Weiss. These fish were caught two weeks ago. So tell me, why you think we need more State level regulation.

Attachment 295580Attachment 295581Attachment 295582Attachment 295583Attachment 295584
    Raise keeper size to 12’’ inches and lower the daily creel to 5 fish and do away with the possession and transport limit, then the state resident fishermen could only keep 35 fish a week during the spawn, instead of keeping 105 fish a week like it is now on Weiss, and the out of state fishermen could come to Weiss and fish a week and keep 35 fish and transport 35 fish back to the neighboring states during the crappie spawn, this would let both instate and out of state fishermen both keep the same amount of crappie per week during the spawn, saving a lot of fish to grow to 12 plus inch size. My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    Raise keeper size to 12’’ inches and lower the daily creel to 5 fish and do away with the possession and transport limit, then the state resident fishermen could only keep 35 fish a week during the spawn, instead of keeping 105 fish a week like it is now on Weiss, and the out of state fishermen could come to Weiss and fish a week and keep 35 fish and transport 35 fish back to the neighboring states during the crappie spawn, this would let both instate and out of state fishermen both keep the same amount of crappie per week during the spawn, saving a lot of fish to grow to 12 plus inch size. My 2 cents

Curious why you think we need more regulation when it's obvious Lake Jordan, a COOSA RIVER lake, isn't having a problem producing big crappie. Be careful what you ask for from your government.
    USAF Retired - 1988 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Curious why you think we need more regulation when it's obvious Lake Jordan, a COOSA RIVER lake, isn't having a problem producing big crappie. Be careful what you ask for from your government.
    I was reading the forum and everyone was talking about lake Weiss, I’ve never fished Jordan lake but assume, it wouldn’t be any better than Weiss, some guys were talking about what could be done to improve crappie fishing on Weiss, and I posted what I think would help the crappie fishing on Weiss or any other lake. Glad Jordan is producing good fish, I think Weiss and Guntersville is producing good as well, but 12’’ keeper size and 5 fish daily creel without possession or transport laws, would be fair to everyone, 35 fish per week to all fishermen, durning the spawning season, this would save tons of big female egg laying crappie, in about 3 or 4 years, catching a big 3 lb plus crappie would be a common thing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I was reading the forum and everyone was talking about lake Weiss, I’ve never fished Jordan lake but assume, it wouldn’t be any better than Weiss, some guys were talking about what could be done to improve crappie fishing on Weiss, and I posted what I think would help the crappie fishing on Weiss or any other lake. Glad Jordan is producing good fish, I think Weiss and Guntersville is producing good as well, but 12’’ keeper size and 5 fish daily creel without possession or transport laws, would be fair to everyone, 35 fish per week to all fishermen, durning the spawning season, this would save tons of big female egg laying crappie, in about 3 or 4 years, catching a big 3 lb plus crappie would be a common thing

Who defines what is fair? Bama state law or dogooders like you?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Let’s above all keep the conversation civil and family friendly please.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Likes waterdog101 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

we’re all Americans, the lakes were built with tax dollars, everyone that fished the lake buys a fishing licenses, and everyone that loves to fish, should want what’s best for the lake and the population of the crappie, my thoughts were to raise the size of keeper crappie to 12’’ and lower the daily creel to 5 fish, do away with the possession and transport law, then anyone that fishes 7 days could keep 35 fish, locals or out of staters, guess I should have used another word besides FAIR, I see you didn’t like that word, I’ll change that word to best, I am a dogooder and I think it would be, best for the spawning crappie and all fishermen.

Likes Heath Wells LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Trey, Jordan and the rest of the Coosa lakes including Neeley Henry, have pretty much always been great Crappie lakes. But day in and day out Weiss has had more pressure than all of the rest combined. About 6 to 7 month a year there are a ton of people here from out of state fishing and the whole state of Georgia. We have more guides that specialize in crappie fishing year round. Than most lakes in the state of Alabama, a lot are listed and a lot are by word of mouth from local bait shops. But all I will say here is something is going to have to be done. I don’t know of anyone that wants the state to step in, we all know that they can’t be trusted and most of the time they don’t know what they are talking about anyway. But someone needs to start listening to the fishermen and taking our side. We will talk about this more at camp and I will bring you up to speed.

When nothing is going right, Just go fishing.
    Earl Dibbles Jr.
    Likes John Doe, RogerA LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

First, I shouldn’t have gotten snarky - sorry for my loose lips.

I do grow weary of those marine biologists wielding doom and knowing exactly what needs to be done to save the lake. The advice ALWAYS means regulations and fisherman take the brunt of it and the government at some level gets more power than they should have.

Just ask the snapper guides down down on the Alabama Coast what federal gubment over reach looks like. In that case, kudos to Alabama state conservation organizations for fighting back.

Thanks Slabprowler thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

There is one way everyone is over looking that would help save a lot of Crappie Year round on Weiss . Remove the stripped bass. Not going to happen but before they were introduced by the real intelligent biologist that thought they could not reproduce in Weiss(oops forgot about that big spring in the upper end called little river and the gravelly bottom it has ) the lake held its own even with the garbo fishermen from up north filling several freezers yearly. But once the population of the stripers exploded the crappie population has slowly declined. Same intelligent biologist said they don't bother the crappie fry just the shad, guess they never bothered to look inside one stomachs of a 10lb
    Striper. Maybe some of the strippers needed glasses so they wouldn't get them mixed in when on a feeding frenzy. About the only way to reduce the strippers would be to figure out a way to keep them out of the feeder creeks and small rivers that are spring fed so their spawning would not work, but then you wouldhave some irate guides and homeboy Stripper fishermen not happy and I would not blame them . Just my worth .... and for the record I know a tiny bit about fishes , I am a Biologist myself
    Thanks Big Crappie thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought our retirement home last year, and I love our lake. I wish there was an easy answer, the more post I read here the more complicated it's getting . I don't how much Cherokee co. Relies on the money the fishing season brings. Wonder if we as anglers could start an outreach to impose our own size and creel limits? It has to start somewhere I would take a pledge. Just saying.
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)
    Likes waterdog101 LIKED above post

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast