HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Weiss Lake - What needs to be done to make it better ?

Post Thanks / Like

Catch-Photo-Release= Memories. I saved a few for our next generation! BB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle BS View Post
    It is my understanding that the large male crappie are the ones that need to be released, they protect the bed after the female lays her eggs. Without them the fry wont make it to produce. I had a honey hole that was always good for some big fish, one year we caught a bunch of big males (2lb +) and the place has not been the same since, while other places I've caught & kept huge females and it produces year after year. I also read this in a book calld "Crappie Secrets". Have yall ever heard this theory ?
    Good Point Uncle BS... releasing mature males is important.

Post Thanks / Like

The limit needs to be lowered. I live on Weiss Lake and I fish Weiss Lake. I would like to see 15-20 limit per person, that is plenty of fish to eat on. I also agree with catch and release. I would like to have a dollar for every fish I have caught and threw back into this lake, I might not retire but I could put a good down payment on a new boat...lol

Post Thanks / Like

I like the slot limit idea for saving the bigger fish. Maybe throw back the one's between 14" and 17". Or how about this idea- let's say you can only keep a certain number (2 or 3 fish for example) over a certain length (14" for example).

Post Thanks / Like

There has been an awful lot of good fishing on Weiss in the last 6 years without any changes being made since this thread was started.

But just think about it! If the length limit had been increased back then to protect the females and MALES, who plays a larger role in the reproduction cycle, thus allowing more fish to spawn several additional times before being harvested, how great would the fishing be today plus the boost in tourism for the local economy!!!
    There again, nothing will work without ENFORCEMENT OF THE LAWS IN PLACE!

Post Thanks / Like

Pop,
    Lot's of good input and ideas, but I have competitively fished with you on this lake for at least three years ad have yet to see or be checked buy a Game Warden. Without enforcement none of the ideas presented, good or bad, can implemented. Mississippi seems to have a good operational model in place but I have never been checked there either. It all boils down to everyone that graces the beautiful waters of the Coosa River system are being a good steward to the bounty that God allows us to harvest. As a business owner and longtime local that loves his community, I understand your frustration, but nothing will improve until the current rules and regulations are enforced.
    Likes liftbite56 LIKED above post

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Love your lake. It was the first place I went out of state to fish and still fish it yearly but. I'm from Tenn and fish Chickamauga and Watts Bar. When I started crappie fishing I think Tenn had a 30 fish limit. Things got bad and they lowered it to 15. Today these 2 lakes are the best kept crappie secret in the south. We don't travel to Weiss as much anymore because we have better quality fish here at home. The 30 fish limit on Weiss attracts a lot of tourist and a lot of dollars but it would be interesting to see what 3 yrs of 15 fish limit would do for your lake.
    Likes Slabprowler, RogerA LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have been fishing Weiss lake all of my life up to this point. I live here and if the Lord is willing I will die here. To revisit the Stripper issue, they are not the problem, the catfish eat more Crappie than they do. I fish 3 to 5 days a week and I release most if not all of my fish if I keep any they will be the 10 inch fish. And believe me most of the guides are having just as a hard time right now catching fish as the rest of us. This is a complex problem and will be hard to fix. I understand that there are 3 Game warden working in the county now. Like I said I have been fishing here almost all of my life and I have never been checked except when I was with my Dad back when I was 8 or 9 years old. I am now 63 years old. A lot of people are responsible for the decline, locals that are just too greedy and selfish, I have seen too many cases of this from getting there limit taking it home and coming back and getting another limit. Guides that keep under size fish to using too many poles, out of town folks that keep small fish and Carries too many fish home also from the feeling that our lakes owe them for them spending there money here, and greed. There has to be a workable solution to this problem, but perhaps it starts with each and everyone of us. I am not a biologist nor a politician I am just simply a man who loves to fish for crappie. All I am saying is we all are to blame so let’s not try to pin it on any one group, let’s just find a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    When nothing is going right, Just go fishing.
    Earl Dibbles Jr.
    Likes RogerA, liftbite56 LIKED above post
    Thanks Slabprowler, dwardmba thanked you for this post

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what the solution is but I do think some things need to change. No mater what is done nothing will change if there is no enforcement. I too have never been checked on Weiss lake and have fished it for over 20 years.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

These caught on Lake Jordan, a Coosa River lake south of Weiss. These fish were caught two weeks ago. So tell me, why you think we need more State level regulation.

Name:  Big fish.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  43.9 KBName:  2.43.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  73.2 KBName:  Cagle 2.59.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  42.0 KBName:  Threadgill.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  44.7 KBName:  Wells.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  45.8 KB
    USAF Retired - 1988 - 2011