HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: KY Lake Big Sandy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    Yep,and from what I hear from friends fishing there the last two years have been awsome,lots of big fish caught.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    I see where you’re going, but I don’t think I have brought up the issue with raising the size limit???

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes blueball, TNReb58 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbush View Post
    I see where you’re going, but I don’t think I have brought up the issue with raising the size limit???

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Just making a point,people were complaining about reelfoot too a coue years back.Different year different place thats the point I'm trying to get across
    Let the biologist do what they get paid for.Theres good and bad years at every lake,but I'm still fishing even when it's tough.The sad part is these meeting twra has they want to change things by using majority rules,not creel data.If you had a building full who wanted something changed it would probably be changed.I wish the regs were changed to what I think also,but creel data is what should be the deciding factor

Thanks TNReb58 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    Just making a point,people were complaining about reelfoot too a coue years back.Different year different place thats the point I'm trying to get across
    Let the biologist do what they get paid for.Theres good and bad years at every lake,but I'm still fishing even when it's tough.The sad part is these meeting twra has they want to change things by using majority rules,not creel data.If you had a building full who wanted something changed it would probably be changed.I wish the regs were changed to what I think also,but creel data is what should be the deciding factor

Totally agree with Jaime on many points he made. Doesn't make any sense to let a group of people who may or may not really have a clue what is going on make management decisions. I have been putting out beds and haven't been fishing but have had friends send me pictures of very healthy Kentucky Lake crappie the last couple months.

Not wasting a bunch of time with these discussions again this year but also makes zero sense to raise size limits and lower creel limits if you really believe fish are starving because of carp. That would just increase competition for the theoretically scarce food. If they were going to do anything it would be remove creel limits and lower size limits to reduce competition for available baitfish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pab1981 View Post
    Totally agree with Jaime on many points he made. Doesn't make any sense to let a group of people who may or may not really have a clue what is going on make management decisions. I have been putting out beds and haven't been fishing but have had friends send me pictures of very healthy Kentucky Lake crappie the last couple months.

Not wasting a bunch of time with these discussions again this year but also makes zero sense to raise size limits and lower creel limits if you really believe fish are starving because of carp. That would just increase competition for the theoretically scarce food. If they were going to do anything it would be remove creel limits and lower size limits to reduce competition for available baitfish.

The food supply for crappies in KY lake may be scarcer than the past, BUT there is no way that there are too many crappie in the lake. I remember much denser populations not all that long ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2017 Ranger RT188C Shadow Grass Camo
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Crappie Novice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Northforker View Post
    The food supply for crappies in KY lake may be scarcer than the past, BUT there is no way that there are too many crappie in the lake. I remember much denser populations not all that long ago.

I didn't say anything about what I thought about current crappie density.

Just wouldn't make sense to reduce creel number or increase size limits as many have suggested if you really believe the crappie "don't have shoulders" or the shad are all gone because of the carp. The logic just isn't there. But logic rarely has a place in these discussions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pab1981 View Post
    I didn't say anything about what I thought about current crappie density.

Just wouldn't make sense to reduce creel number or increase size limits as many have suggested if you really believe the crappie "don't have shoulders" or the shad are all gone because of the carp. The logic just isn't there. But logic rarely has a place in these discussions.

What detrimental effect would occur by raising the size limit? Less overstuffed freezers?

2017 Ranger RT188C Shadow Grass Camo
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Crappie Novice

Post Thanks / Like

What detrimental effect would occur by raising the size limit? Less overstuffed freezers?

Not too hard to see. For most folks harvests would drop dramatically which would have the same effect as reducing creel limits and thus increasing competition for the food everyone is claiming is so scarce. That would equal even skinnier mature fish if any of this was really factual.

All the factual creel and size stuff has been studied at great length by the guys that both state's fish and wildlife departments and been explained a hundred times. The information is available to everyone.

Likes blueball, TNReb58 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I figure all the keeper fish would be bigger and would take up more freezer space than the smaller fishKY Lake Big SandyIt's just a theory though,I have nothing to back it up with thoughKY Lake Big Sandy

Likes Northforker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree the Asian Carp are an issue and have an ecological effect on other species of fish to include Crappie, however there is a man made problem as well and it is called "Over Fishing" In 2018 with all of the latest technology the novice fisherman with the most basic GPS and Fish Finder can locate structure and hammer Crappie from these locations at times. Years ago it was not so easy, you used a map, land mark references and a little luck, all of that is now gone with electronics. Of course there are many more factors such as flooding, low water, high water on and on which effect the quality of a spawn. I know guys who go out daily and catch 30 or 40 per day, seven days a week practically, brag about catching upward of 500 fish for the season, yes this does effect the numbers of fish, especially during the spawn. Last, just my opinion I cringe every time I see or hear someone say it barely was legal size, but I kept it. Just don't see the point myself, not worth cleaning or messing with, back in the water they go. I hope the day never comes where they do what they have in Florida, set short seasons, and very limited creel on some salt water species such as Red Snapper (two per person) and that's it. I love Red Snapper , I guess two is better then zero!
    Likes blueball, Northforker, BigSmoke LIKED above post
    Thanks TNReb58 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wmac62 View Post
    I agree the Asian Carp are an issue and have an ecological effect on other species of fish to include Crappie, however there is a man made problem as well and it is called "Over Fishing" In 2018 with all of the latest technology the novice fisherman with the most basic GPS and Fish Finder can locate structure and hammer Crappie from these locations at times. Years ago it was not so easy, you used a map, land mark references and a little luck, all of that is now gone with electronics. Of course there are many more factors such as flooding, low water, high water on and on which effect the quality of a spawn. I know guys who go out daily and catch 30 or 40 per day, seven days a week practically, brag about catching upward of 500 fish for the season, yes this does effect the numbers of fish, especially during the spawn. Last, just my opinion I cringe every time I see or hear someone say it barely was legal size, but I kept it. Just don't see the point myself, not worth cleaning or messing with, back in the water they go. I hope the day never comes where they do what they have in Florida, set short seasons, and very limited creel on some salt water species such as Red Snapper (two per person) and that's it. I love Red Snapper , I guess two is better then zero!
    By the creel data they say tn looks good. Biologist presented the data and compared it through several years at a meeting in 2016 I went to.I also went to a meeting at few years before the 2016 meeting and everything was about the same acording to creel data.The data showed you have good and bad years as far as the spawn is concerned.It shows the mortality/survival recruitment rate also.He said that's why keeper fish varied year to year,sometimes a couple years if consecutive bad spawn and mortality rate years.I do agree electronics have made a huge difference in angler success rate.But I do know lots of spring fisherman without good electronics struggling to catch enough for supper.We all think we have the answer,that's the only reason I say listen to the biologist.Pole limit, size,lowering creel,one hook,etc, do whatever needs to be done if biologist think it will help,I would be all in if that's what they recommended.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast