Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help! Help! we are going fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! Help! we are going fishing

I will be making my spring crappie trip to Va. Saturday for a few days. We would like to fish Beaver Dam res. Then the chick . Perhaps one day above the dam and one below Rockkahock. Any current information would be appreciated. I have fished these areas a few times before but it has been a long time since having a boat there. Also we could fish Anna the last day.???
    If you do not want to give all the secrets away to everyone you can PM me. Last years trip we hit snow the first days there. Looks like it will warm up this weekend. One reason we leave Pa to fish is for a little warmer weather. Would not make me mad if it gets to 75 deg. and full sun. Thanks for all your info in the past and we look forward to some time on the water. Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck. It has been windy and cold in Virginia this month so you will not have many reports. I have not been out for several weeks. Last trip out the fish were still deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks TomO. My mother and father inlaw just passed away last week and I was in Williamsburg for 4 days. Did have a rod along but not able to go fishing or even take time for scouting. I guess they are calling for warmer weather starting the end of the week. It has been one heck of a week-month and a little R and R on the water will go a long way. I just hope it gets a little warmer and a few fish to show for our efforts.
    I assume most fish are not starting to even consider moving into shallow water for the coming spawning season? We sometimes stop on the way home at the Rappahanock (spelling) for some hickory shad fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addictedangler View Post
    Thanks TomO. My mother and father inlaw just passed away last week and I was in Williamsburg for 4 days. Did have a rod along but not able to go fishing or even take time for scouting. I guess they are calling for warmer weather starting the end of the week. It has been one heck of a week-month and a little R and R on the water will go a long way. I just hope it gets a little warmer and a few fish to show for our efforts.
    I assume most fish are not starting to even consider moving into shallow water for the coming spawning season? We sometimes stop on the way home at the Rappahanock (spelling) for some hickory shad fishing.
    I am seeing fish, females up to 13.5" in 12 to 17 feet of water suspended and hard to catch where I am at. Another lake I fish has fish in 30 FOW, seven feet off the bottom and willing to take minnows. Those fish are on the average 10" and 11" and still in a winter pattern. I caught plenty of those and stocked the freezer. I'm presently doing C&R with the bigger fish. Catching less but still fun. Water temps are around 46 degrees.

Good Luck!
    Likes wellswings LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks South Paw! I called Beaver dam park and basically got a report that the warmer weather in February was the start of the crappie migration into shallow water but cold, wind and snow has made fishing a little harder and it appears the fish have moved back to deeper water. I have fished at Rockahock behind the dam but only once down river. Any advice on a starting point down river from the launch? Also we may stop at Ed Allens and launch . Perhaps Johnson creek area?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addictedangler View Post
    Thanks South Paw! I called Beaver dam park and basically got a report that the warmer weather in February was the start of the crappie migration into shallow water but cold, wind and snow has made fishing a little harder and it appears the fish have moved back to deeper water. I have fished at Rockahock behind the dam but only once down river. Any advice on a starting point down river from the launch? Also we may stop at Ed Allens and launch . Perhaps Johnson creek area?
    Large crappie (up to 15") were in 1.5 FOW at Beaver dam for a while but have moved out. My guess they will be suspended in 12 to 15ft. I have not talked to my buddy that fishes there. I have not fished Rockahock. So I'm not much help. Maybe someone will chime in.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I do not mind doing some exploring and sharing information. I also understand what spot burn is. I work as a fly fishing guide in Pa and do seminars so I have to be care full not to over explain to avoid crowds and trash on private land. We ( my friend) caught a 6 1/2 large mouth at Beaver dam last March when it was cold. He is all fired up as he had 6 lb. mono and a 1/8 ounce crappie jig on. Surprise! Surprise!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Might check out Creek. Its down river a bit. You can drive to a ramp there. Just a thought. And its a tidal creek.
    dave
    in currituck

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry thats Morris Creek
    dave
    in currituck