Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spinner vs Jig Only

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIN View Post
    I've never liked a beetle spin. Like pappy said it fouls a lot. It doesn't catch fish better than a road runner or stump jumper.
    the (1/32)white with the red dot is murder on bluegills . 4 lb. test stren .I agree nothing has made me put down a 1/32 roadrunner with a 1 inch black slider . Saw where yum and roadrunner has hooked up to market a bait . They should call Slider also . jmo.
    Likes huntinslabs, trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Jigs and plastics 95% of the time. I use roadrunners when things are tough and I search for fish with them, seems to always trigger one. I do like roadrunners....

Post Thanks / Like

I make my own double rigs. I've ordered small Colorado Blades from Ebay and put an in line spinner above the jig as I spider rig. I had some days last year they killed and hit the rig with the spinner only. The catch ratio with a small spinner was probably higher than a jig without it in my set up. It is my go to rig now and would not fish without having this rig in the boat. I guess you need to play around with different set ups and see what works for you. I used this downsized idea from Walleye fishing and produces for me.
    Likes Techno2000 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a moving bait use the Beetle Spin or Road Runner, vertical jigging use a marabou or straight tail like a stinger shad. If you are having issue's with the Beetle Spin rolling on you just slow down your retrieve, they are really productive and come through brush pretty well like most spinner baits do.
    FISHING, no better way to spend the day!

Post Thanks / Like

prefer Road Runners, my Grandpa back when I was a kid in the early 70`s fished with a Manns purple worm and a white beetle spin he had a couple hundred lures but those were the 2 he used 99 percent of the time.. He caught bluegill, crappie, bass you name it on the beetle spins.
    I`ve caught fish on bettle spins but nothing like I have on Road Runners, prefer 1/16 oz Chart head w/black curly tail body, seems to catch them all the time around here.
    In jigs prefer tube jigs 1/16 oz head early in the year when waters still cold and twister tail grubs later.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Creek Spin from Southern Pro, just wish they would make a 1/8 version.

Name:  1E843E3F-52FF-49A5-BA13-659F980338D8.jpeg
Views: 1006
Size:  10.6 KB
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak
    Likes Crappiedayz LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Really sorry to hear that some of you have no confidence in the Beetle Spin type baits. They have always been in my bag of tricks and probably always will be. I will say that they are not always what they want but there have been days when I could hardly keep them in the water cuz they were hit so much. And everything hits them. As with jigs in general, size and color will make a difference at times. I can roll a Beetle through a brushy area slower and get hung up less cuz the hook rides point up. But hey, To each his own. I'll just keep filleting the bonus stud bluegills that really like em too.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wmac62 View Post
    I make my own double rigs. I've ordered small Colorado Blades from Ebay and put an in line spinner above the jig as I spider rig. I had some days last year they killed and hit the rig with the spinner only. The catch ratio with a small spinner was probably higher than a jig without it in my set up. It is my go to rig now and would not fish without having this rig in the boat. I guess you need to play around with different set ups and see what works for you. I used this downsized idea from Walleye fishing and produces for me.
    I'd like to see a pic of your spinner jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Jigs and plastics 100% of the time. I have caught bass in Beetle Spin and Road Runners, but my greatest success has always been with the basic jig/soft plastic combo. Maybe it's time to try those two alternatives again after so many years.

Post Thanks / Like

Beetle spin style of jigs worked great for me at the lake that was close to college and they were MUCH cheaper than RR's for broke college kids. I would buy the jig spinners from Jann's in bulk and clip em on a lead head. I never had much trouble with them fouling when cast. We even used baitcasters to fish with them for some strange reason. No way I would do that now!

Since I'm at Grand Lake now, I don't do nearly as well on any type of spinner, probably due to the significant difference in water clarity. Works for me, less stuff to buy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast