HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2532333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Longlining Questions?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lund Pro Pike, vintage 1987. It is a tiller operated boat and I use a 50 lb thrust MK on the stern. We started trolling E TN mountain lakes last summer with three rods each. We have used 10', 8', and 7' rods with jigs , Road Runners and cranks. I have enjoyed this thread immensely and will probably be switching over almost entirely to jigs......as y'all have presented a great exposition on their use. Am I the only one on here who uses a transom mounted TM?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if Ive seen anyone trolling with a transom mounted motor but have seen trolling with most every other kind of motor from hand controlled to foot controlled and from co-pilots to I-pilots. I can tell ya that IMO some wways are better than others but the crappie will bite just as good as long as you can present the baits WHERE they want them and at the speeds they want 'em. I honestly cannot tell you the last time I bought a minnow. I fish jigs EXCLUSIVELY.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
    Likes badbull LIKED above post
    Thanks Pondfisher42 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

10-12 years ago on my previous boat (Crestliner 1650 Fish Hawk) I had a TM up front and also one in the rear next to my Merc. I used the rear one frequently.
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

When I first started crappie fishing all we did was troll single rods using a transom TM. We fished smaller lakes and did really well that way. Sure was simpler then.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    When I first started crappie fishing all we did was troll single rods using a transom TM. We fished smaller lakes and did really well that way. Sure was simpler then.
    Ray, I remember when I first started trolling,mostly Hal Flys, the man up ont had TWO rods and the man in the back had TWO. Man I thought I was commercial fishing with that many in the water.
    On the transom mount trolling motor I think it's a lot harder to control the boat if your in any wind. I can remember folks " cutting down" the diameter of the trolling motor prop to slow it down, and how bout the Luhr Jenson speed deal that you hung over the side to get the speed right or run the same speed( if you weren't in current). I guess GPS put them out of production.
    HEY,,WATCH THAT YELLOW ROD
    Likes badbull LIKED above post
    Thanks Rparkman thanked you for this post

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember Rango telling about cutting down a prop on a small outboard (@ 3hp I think) so he got his speed right and ran that motor idling to LL troll for hours. Caught fish too.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw View Post
    Ray, I remember when I first started trolling,mostly Hal Flys, the man up ont had TWO rods and the man in the back had TWO. Man I thought I was commercial fishing with that many in the water.
    On the transom mount trolling motor I think it's a lot harder to control the boat if your in any wind. I can remember folks " cutting down" the diameter of the trolling motor prop to slow it down, and how bout the Luhr Jenson speed deal that you hung over the side to get the speed right or run the same speed( if you weren't in current). I guess GPS put them out of production.
    Believe it or not, we used Hal Flys too. Hal Barber, whose daughter was my buddy Joe's secretary, gave him a copy of Hal Barbers trolling techniques using his jigs. We used a black, silver, white and red, silver, white that they no longer make. They were red or black head, silver tinsel and white marabou, no plastic. Stump Hunter tied me some of each and they look just like the originals. Still catch fish too.
    Likes Mike1234 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

still got a sack full of hal-flys going to use um this spring if the good Lord willing
    its been a long time sense i trolled for crappie but im gonna find out if the old school
    way still works. just wish there was a way to put my little gas motor on my toon
    Fish tremble at the sound of my name

Post Thanks / Like

I learned how to troll for crappie using Hal Flys. What kind do you have. Ronnie tied me some of the originals using tinsel for body but I haven't seen the Jelly Belly ones in a while.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen an add on mount for a toon to add a kicker motor. It is linked to big motor for steering.

Post Thanks / Like

It does take a lot of practice but well worth it, any technique that allows you to cover more water is going to produce more fish.
    I always use round head jigs in 1/16 or 1/8 oz. with curly tails or boot tails. The reason for using 2 jig sizes is if I put all the jigs out the same length and they are all running at the same speed I will have some baits a little deeper than the others covering 2 different depths. I experiment with speed always between 0.6 to 1.0 mph. Another thing I ALWAYS do is put a Berkley Crappie nibble on every time!
    Learn this you will be happy you did.
    FISHING, no better way to spend the day!
    Likes brettw LIKED above post
    Thanks cglarsen thanked you for this post

Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2532333435363738 ... LastLast