HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Inexpensive Rods

Post Thanks / Like

I could show you how to repair the broken rod but you've probably already chucked it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    I could show you how to repair the broken rod but you've probably already chucked it.
    I still have it. Its broken a foot from the tip so I didn't figure it was repairable.

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect!

Note: a break too far down and the balance is changed for a medium action rod.

materials needed:
    super glue
    braided line (8-10 lb test (small diameter) or around that for easy winding similar to that used for a jig head)
    2 wire zip ties

1. add super glue 1" in length to the tip of the top of the rod part that goes to the handle .
    2. overlap the tip parts, 1" each and add two zip ties near the ends of each rod segment.
    3. apply more super glue to rod ends, top and bottom where the overlapping segments are.
    4. wind line around both segments making sure line guides are still aligned.
    5. once the middle of the segment is tied, you can cut off the wire zip ties and wrap each end of the segment.

The repair will do as well as the original length - even shortened by 1" or so. No need to overlap rod pieces by too much in order to maintain rod action.

You may use more super glue, nail polish or the lacquer used when tying feather or hair jigs to coat the line wind.
    Note: the repair pictured uses too much of an overlap, too large a line test, but is still sturdy. The main rod and attached tip are from two different rods - one broke too far down the shaft, leaving the last foot for a repair.

I've used this and three other repaired rods for three years and caught some pretty decent fish on them after noticing how the line guides were attached using thin braid.
    Thanks chimneyman, Slabprowler thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wife gave me a light action Lightning Rod many years ago and it is not just my favorite inexpensive rod, but my favorite overall. I don't know if Berkeley still makes them, or if they are the same now, but I love mine.

Post Thanks / Like

zebco crappie fighter rod and reel combos are under $25 which is dirt cheap. I used them last year not expecting much, I started off with 2 of the 8 ft combos now I have 4 of the 8 ft and 4 of the 10 ft combos because I liked them so much. I have caught a lot of fish with them from crappie to nice catfish and a boat load of nice stripers and they have done great so far. I mostly use mine for spider rigging so the reels do just fine for that, just a great combo for a better price.

Post Thanks / Like

I like ACC and B&M.....I've had pretty good experience with durability!!

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite budget rod is the Berkley Lighting rods. I get them for under $30 from ffo tackle.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on board with Skeet on this one. I have 3 of the 7'-0" Shakespeare micros and have used them for about 3 years now. I too am rough on equipment but these have held up exceptionally well. If they all broke tomorrow, I would replace them with 3 more of the same. Good action and sensitivity for the price.

Post Thanks / Like

When I ask my youngest son to go fishing, the first thing he asks is do I have a rod and reel or 2 he can borrow. I guess he is happy, I am learning to deal with it. So now I give him fishing stuff for Christmas and his birthday, this makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by etexbasser View Post
    I like that, everybody is happy now. I once asked my son when he was going to start buying his own fishing stuff, he said why do I need to. I guess everybody is happy here too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quickly becoming my favorite is a Lew's Wally Marshall Signature 7' light rod. This is very sensitive and casts light jigs a mile. I found it for $22.00. I also like the Shakespeare rods at Wal-Mart for less than $20.00 I have a 5'6" and 7'. I also have 2 of the Mitchell Avocet combo's one in a light and one in a medium. Now can I have more than 1 favorite?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast