HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice needed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    Me personally I wouldn't want a 360 on the transom.I want it on the bow where I will be fishing.When I'm at the console I use sidescan and don't really see the need for 360 there.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    and if your units are linked you can see the 360 from the bow sonar unit. Just select it.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    and if your units are linked you can see the 360 from the bow sonar unit. Just select it.
    I want my bait in the structure directly under the 360,that's the main reason.Transom mount has to be deployed also, I have a 360 and did a lot of thinking before I bought one.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I fish for crappie mainly spider rig in the front if my boat. If I had a transom mount 360 it would be 20 foot behind me then I use 14 or 16 foot rods now it is about 35 foot from where I am fishing. So up front with me makes more since to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    2011 Z8 250 Mercury
    Solix 15
    360 on Ultrex
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    Last but not least.... comfort!

I spend as much as 70 hours on a tournament week inside of my boat. I run several hundred miles in some of the roughest weather imaginable. I do NOT have a disk between my L5 and my Sacrum. If I didn't have smooth move seat bases, I wouldn't fish. Period.

In the spring we can be hit with freezing rain, sleet, snow, and rain all in 10 minutes. Having the best gear is paramount. From Extreme Ice armour insulated and water proof clothing, extra hats, and gloves, to insulated and water proof boots. We carry extra gear. Zippo hand warmers, Little buddy heaters, and food to feed an army. We might grab a bite to eat while setting up for the next jigging pass. We snack while trolling, and drink when we can. Fair weather fisherman fish when it is nice out, tournament anglers test and evaluate clothing and materials for fair weather fisherman. Gore Tex suits keep the rain out, rubber boots, zip off thin pants, SPF shirts, face masks, sun screen, chap stick, you HAVE to be comfortable or you WILL be miserable. It is supposed to be fun. Part of the fun is seeing how you stack up against other guys. Part of it is the weather. Good or bad. If you have the right gear, you cannot use it as an excuse.

Above all else, a comfortable life jacket that you will not notice you are wearing. Although we are only required to wear them when the big motor is above idle, we are usually in such a hurry that we rarely take them off. There are days that I forget I have it on until 10am when my insulated jacket comes off.

Last but not least.... A TOILET. I have a toilet seat lid that snaps on to a 5 gallon bucket. It is mounted in front of my passenger windshield so it cannot come out. Being able to utilize the facility when and where we need to has been the difference between a great day and a miserable one.
    i am always amazed with walleye anglers as walleyes can be finicky and conditions change so much. I do well on my own in minnesota, but lakes like erie would be to much for my small boat. I do enjoy fishing new lakes and is easy to do in northern mn. I try to fish 3 new lakes everytime i am home. In sep i fished two smaller lakes and cass lake a few days after the cabelas nwt. I was told red tails on jigs casting shallows was the ticket but couldnt get a bite. I found lindys with fluoro carbon leaders and leeches worked best for me. The four other boats in our group combined for 3 walleyes in two days, my wife and i caught six inckuding two over 20" and one 24". My largest of the vacation was a 29" for the two weeks of fishing. Cant wait to go back and may wait and try the tournament on pokegama in grand rapids, mn. My question for you is, on the first day of a cold front in northern mn, i cannot catch walleye. The second day i catch them at will. What do walleyes normally do on the first day of a cold front. I can find them stacked like cord wood but cant get bit. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try and answer your question tomorrow when I'm in front of a keyboard.

Would that screen name have something to do with the Marine Corps?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    I'll try and answer your question tomorrow when I'm in front of a keyboard.

Would that screen name have something to do with the Marine Corps?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    close us army military intelligence corps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by micorps View Post
    i am always amazed with walleye anglers as walleyes can be finicky and conditions change so much. I do well on my own in minnesota, but lakes like erie would be to much for my small boat. I do enjoy fishing new lakes and is easy to do in northern mn. I try to fish 3 new lakes everytime i am home. In sep i fished two smaller lakes and cass lake a few days after the cabelas nwt. I was told red tails on jigs casting shallows was the ticket but couldnt get a bite. I found lindys with fluoro carbon leaders and leeches worked best for me. The four other boats in our group combined for 3 walleyes in two days, my wife and i caught six inckuding two over 20" and one 24". My largest of the vacation was a 29" for the two weeks of fishing. Cant wait to go back and may wait and try the tournament on pokegama in grand rapids, mn. My question for you is, on the first day of a cold front in northern mn, i cannot catch walleye. The second day i catch them at will. What do walleyes normally do on the first day of a cold front. I can find them stacked like cord wood but cant get bit. Thank you.
    Here is the location of the article I wrote... JUST FOR YOU!

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...h/#post3533290
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Fish on Line LIKED above post

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

This entire thread is a super great read! Thanks a bunch. Awesome information.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I fished a couple of times with a local group, enough to know I needed a new Partner. I fished with my Brother that was too interested in Birds, other Boats and Airplanes. I always had to tell him he had a bite and we always placed last. His home lake was 8 foot deep with no structure --- He was totally lost fishing big lakes .. we struggled to get the 7 fish needed for Weigh In... I totally believe anyone that fishes in Competition needs to be Committed and the information posted in this thread is spot on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123