HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2431323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Longlining Questions?

Post Thanks / Like

LOTS learned today....

First... ya can't (not proficient anyway) longline in the back, and run a trolling motor 19' away... in the front.

Ga forum, Lanier report...

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beavz View Post
    LOTS learned today....

First... ya can't (not proficient anyway) longline in the back, and run a trolling motor 19' away... in the front.

Ga forum, Lanier report...
    are you using a foot controlled trolling motor ??? if so it not very proficient !!!! if you are using a trolling motor that has co-pilot or ipilot it is very proficient !!!!

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"
    Likes stumpjumper LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    Like Searay said....don't get discouraged. Even if your graph lights up like a Christmas tree with fish doesn't always mean you have found fish that will bite. If that is the case then MOVE. No need fishing an area where they wont bite, an certainly don't fish an area where you see NOTHING on the graph. "Learn" your setup by pulling jigs towards the shallows to see where they begin bouncing (hitting bottom) so you know your depths and do this with several scenerios (different weight jigs, jigs with weights added, doubles, etc). It's the only way you will know what theyre doing behind your boat and is important when you see fish holding at a certain depth so you'll know how to rig for 'em. Remember, the fish are looking up....not down...so keep your jigs above the fish. Enjoy the learning curve and stay after 'em. You'll get it!
    This is the Jedi Master of long lining. Tell you the truth, he wiil.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Thanks Beavz thanked you for this post

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL Ray, I see that I aint the only one.....the older we get the more "full of it" we get.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly long line troll for crappie from feb-may. I need to update my fish finder this year. What would be a good choice in the 500 dollar range? I've looked at the Helix 5 & 7 online some. Do I need SI for long lining?

What are the best tools for long line trolling for crappie?

Not sure what to get....any recommendations will help.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the very best tool for longlining is the I-pilot trolling motor. Other than that I would say get the best electronics that you can afford. One day I'll have to upgrade too (when my old dinosaur breaks) but for now I'll keep plugging along with GPS and 2D sonar.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to be able to longline year round. I understand slower in winter and faster in summer. How fast are you guys trolling in cold water and catching good numbers of fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Not GOOD numbers but FAIR numbers.....with good quality is what I am after. IMO, you need to find active fish in 20' of water or less.

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Side imaging is good for finding brush piles and bream beds. It is not necessary to have it for long lining. The main thing with a fish finder is to find what depth they are at so you can plan on fishing above them. Fish will be scattered within a couple feet on the depth but most will be right around that area. With experience you will figure out what depth they are at. With regular long line trolling you don't even need electronics to catch fish. When I fish Greenwood I very seldom turn on my finders as I have fished it enough that I know what to start with and then go from there.
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloakley930 View Post
    I want to be able to longline year round. I understand slower in winter and faster in summer. How fast are you guys trolling in cold water and catching good numbers of fish?
    Speed is tricky and really depends on what the fish want each day. If you slow down your jigs drop and speed up the jigs rise and can also change depth with amount of line out. Try getting use to pulling on the .07 to 1.2 speeds and adjust depth with jig weight outside of these running depths. With a 1/16 jig you can cover a lot of depth but at times the fish want smaller jigs if they are deep or shallow. I don't change my speeds outside of these ranges but if I want a deeper depth at .07 I change to a 1/8 oz jig and if I need to run shallower but 1.2 mph is to fast for the days bite go with a 1/32 oz jig.
    Maybe this will get you some help with your question but time on the lake fishing will help you more than any info we can give you. Each fishermans setup is a little different and each boat will pull a little different but guide lines does help starting out.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4
    Likes Pondfisher42 LIKED above post

Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2431323334353637 ... LastLast