HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tying on jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    Dang am I the only one that uses a Palomar knot when not using a loop knot? I am a bit surprised by this!

Skip
    Nope, I would hate to guess how to guess how many I have caught vertical jigging 1/8-1/4oz jigs tied direct with Palomar knots here on Kentucky/Barkley. Only knot I trust 100 percent with fluoro leaders and line for tourneys or just regular fishing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion
    Likes skiptomylu LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pab1981 View Post
    Nope, I would hate to guess how to guess how many I have caught vertical jigging 1/8-1/4oz jigs tied direct with Palomar knots here on Kentucky/Barkley. Only knot I trust 100 percent with fluoro leaders and line for tourneys or just regular fishing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    When I fish in summer I also use 1/8 & 1/4 oz jigs! I started using the Palomar in the 1970’s when I was bass fishing at night. Found it easier than. It’s to tie in the dark too, lol!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Thanks SuperCorona thanked you for this post

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lowe175 View Post
    Loop knot 90% for me . I lets the jig move more. Just use what works for you it doesn't matter I've caught fish both ways. If it ant broken don't fix it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Loop knot for me also. Watch it in the water then decide. Fish may not care, but it makes me feel better
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Post Thanks / Like

My second favorite knot is a Palomar. It is the strongest in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    Dang am I the only one that uses a Palomar knot when not using a loop knot? I am a bit surprised by this!

Skip
    I tie a hook snap Mustad Snap Hooks. Easily change flies without tying to the main line using a Palomar knot. Gives me the knot strength I need but allows me to quickly change jigs or colors. Lure hangs horizontal and it looks natural.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I only used a improved clinch knot for 50 plus years and then I started using a loop knot a couple of years ago and to be honest its likely I never go back . at least not on jigs for sure .
    the action is unsurpassed it seems to me and the speed to tie it is fast as heck ......if you don't use one you should try it for sure ....it is the knot for jigs in my opinion
    so you see old dogs can learn new tricks ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes silverside, theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

For jigs a double surgeons loop, aside from jigheads i use either Trilene knot, Rapala Knot or Snell depending.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    I tie a hook snap Mustad Snap Hooks. Easily change flies without tying to the main line using a Palomar knot. Gives me the knot strength I need but allows me to quickly change jigs or colors. Lure hangs horizontal and it looks natural.
    Here are the ones I use and they are small and stay hooked up.

Skip

Name:  IMG_2881 copy.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  242.5 KB

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Loop knot as I can tie it quickly even when arthritis gets bad. I love the presentation of the jig, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    I believe you want to have the jig moving more or less "freely" on the retrieve, drift, or troll. This can certainly be accomplished using a loop knot of some sort. However, I do not like the idea of the eye of the jig moving freely against the inside of the loop knot, mainly for a concern about abrasion of the loop.

This can happen! Years ago when I first started trout fishing, I always used a loop knot. Then one day I hooked into a decent bass and played him for a few minutes. The line went limp and I pulled in my loop which had broken at the end of the loop. True story.

I still believe a free moving jig head best allows your bait to act in a more lifelike manner - as opposed to a direct tie. So, I tried some different snaps and finally arrived at the best solution for my problem. They are called "Snap Hooks", which are sold at Jannsnetcraft and manufactured by Mustad. The are light spring wire clips that are small, yet allow full freedom of the head during most presentations. You tied directly to the clip. Here is the link:

Mustad Snap Hooks. Easily change flies without tying

They are designed for flyfishermen to quickly change flies while wading. (That speaks volumes for their lightness!) I've been using these snap hooks for many, many years now (the size #2 works well with 1/32 - 1/8 oz. jigheads) and they give me the confidence that I'm presenting my bait as realistically as possible.

These hooks also allows for quick change up of jig heads should that be necessary. I've caught a ton of crappie, perch, bass, trout and pike using this simple snap. I see no downside. Just my opinion, but it does work well for me. Tight lines Folks!
    I have been using the easy clips both during the soft and hard water season. I use the improved cinch knot to tie on the clips. The easy clips really shine during the hard water season when changing lures with cold fingers. Using a hemostat to hold the clip when attaching line really makes tying a knot easy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast