HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Western KY Crappie Club Fruit Jar Series

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bandchaser View Post
    Let me ask this, why are there so many bass clubs, associations, trails, tours, ect....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I'm just telling you from our experience in having a crappie club for 6yrs.Its tough,nobody wants to help.Supporting one club would probably mean a higher classic payout,etc.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be up for it but my work schedule would jack me up.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff
    Thanks bandchaser thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Two different approaches for each tournament and the championship:
    1) simple and straightforward, 100% payout at each tournament, and no extra money for the pot in the championship.

2) set aside xx% from each tournament for the championship tournament pot.

Also, thoughts on the following:
    3) no membership dues, maybe have a donation bucket once or twice a season for supplies (if needed).

4) tournament entry fee, $50.00 per boat. This would include big fish pot of $10.00 per boat.

5) this needs to be an honor system, but have some tournaments with "no trailering" allowed and dedicated ramps. One for each lake, committee member at each ramp, then a centralized weigh in location like ky dam marina, or Mike miller park, ect.....

Post Thanks / Like

What kinda scales and weighin stuff,that's the biggest initial cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Also your gonna need dues or hold back monet if you want to have a big payout at your classic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    What kinda scales and weighin stuff,that's the biggest initial cost.

Already working on that...

Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bandchaser View Post
    Let me ask this, why are there so many bass clubs, associations, trails, tours, ect....

Pappy answered correctly and here are some other easy answers to add to your list....

*Crappie fishermen are roughly 20+ years behind bass fishermen as far as exposure(advertising) and the amount of money they are willing to spend and will probably never catch up.
    Bass fishermen drop $200 + on reels, $100.00 + on rods and let's not even talk about how much their rigs run. The point I'm making here is that the average bass fisherman isn't fishing out of a used fiberglass boat that is 10- 20 years old or a jon boat. The only place the average crappie fisherman will drop some major $$ on is for these new superior electronic units that are on the market to make them a lazier fisherman. The above statements are pointing to your ability to get guys to travel for a small tourney.

*I think if you ask some of your bass fishing buddies I'm sure they would tell you that their local weeknight club tourney usually consist of less than 10 boats per event. Why do they have such small turnouts?
    Family, Church, Work, other hobbies.....This list is pretty much endless for a person that isn't getting paid to fish for a living.

*Let's look at this from another angle. If you surveyed the fishermen on this sight and asked them how often they had been out in the last couple of months and fished without keeping a single fish and just fished then I would bet the percentage would be well under 25%. The kiss and release mentality of a bass fisherman is replaced with a catch and fillet mentality of a crappie fisherman. I fall into this category like many others. Crappie fishermen are meat fishermen. The average crappie fisherman isn't going to spend a day catching 7/8 fish for a tourney when they could possibly catch 40 between his partner and himself.

*I think the plain writing on the wall comes down to this simple statement. The big fall shindig is this weekend with probably over I'm guessing 75-100 people attending(not real sure how many) and I bet unless things change you'll have less than 20 boats fishing in the fruit jar tourney. I will go out on a limb and say there will be way less than 20%.
    This group of avid fishermen that are coming to the shindig would be a great group to survey to see why they were willing to travel to a 1-2 day event but had no desire to fish in a rather cheap entry fee tourney.

I hope you and Twin Lakes can get these tourneys rolling!
    I'm afraid you better have your hiking boots on though since I think your headed up a tall mountain.
    Likes M R Dux LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Your response is respectfully noted. But who said you couldn't keep your weigh fish, or any other fish???
    You will bring your best 7 "Live" crappie that meet either the club and or the states minimum length requirements to the scales.
    What crappie fisherman don't spend in reels and rods like your example, are spent in rod holders, rod racks, boat accessories, and other items.

Also, I would never question someone's dedication to their sport. Their is a lot of folks that put out structure, and that takes money, talent, and build time. Plus, it takes scouting and planning time, and fuel for all of it.
    As far as exposure, the problem in our area is that the current marketing and advertising for events is very limited. Other ways to spread the word can be used that would make it possibly grow.
    In the end, we will never know if it will work unless we give it a 100% effort and allow it the opportunity to make it or fail. Effort is the biggest challenge, and having a few volunteers to help guide things along the way makes it even better.

And I will have information out at the Shindig to foster support.

Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I will fish some of them, not sure I wanna buy several out of state licenses though. Already buy Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Florida.
    2017 Ranger RT188C Shadow Grass Camo
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Crappie Novice
    Thanks bandchaser thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Currently, I have completed a tentative tournament schedule and I'm looking for some ideas for weigh sites on a couple of dates.
    Also have compiled the official rules, and still proofing them since I used rules from the KY fruit jar, Mississippi fruit jar, and the Magnolia Crappie Club.
    I have an insignia designed for the club, to possibly use for tshirt's to raise money for the club.
    Membership, entry fee, big fish, tournament and championship pot structure format is configured. Need to put it to Excel for ease and tracking purposes.
    And I have a format chosen for the regular season champions and the championship winners, all runner-up's, the biggest fish of the regular season, and the sportsman of the year. These will receive plaques at the championship.

Likes blueball, Northforker, chaunc LIKED above post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast