HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about weedless jigs

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

guys ... I started with Y-guard weedless jigs back when my primary jig casting rod was a 6' Zero Gravity rod. Then when I started out shooting docks in Tenn, I switched to a 5' Quantum UL ... and I had no trouble hooking fish with those jigs when using either of those rods. Even my 5' ESP UL, before I broke it (my fault), had no trouble sticking fish with those weedguards. And along the way I used a 7' Sam Heaton Sig Series, and saw no difference in hookups.

I'm not real sure what the problem is with Crestliner08 not getting good hookups but I wouldn't be too quick to blame the weedguard. Not from my experience perspective, anyway.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about weedless jigs

I switched from sliders and weedless heads to hand tied and will never go back. I can catch 20+ fish without having to adjust or replace plastic and I hardly ever get a light bite. BandB Weedless jigs on Facebook - won't let me post pic but Coosa Shad is my favorite colorName:  IMG_8979.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  95.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I use BG slider heads rigged weed less. I have no problem sticking crappie, with light 10' Uncle Bucks rod. I quick wrist snap an they are on. Of course - this is single poling with short line.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great responses! Guess I just have to give them a bit more time.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I meant Charlie Brewer Slider jig heads, with slider mounted weedless, they work great. Their is a exception- small crappie 5-7" do not hook up well.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update; Confidence Restored!

OK.....from what you folks have previously posted here, I decided to do a little local fishing from shore with one rod and only the Slider heads and grubs. I read and re-read the instructions posted here, from Charlie Brewer on Weedless Slider Fishing as well. Great read by the way.

I now believe it was in the retrieve that I was having problems. Once I settled down and focused on the retrieve as outlined in the treatise, I started to feel the tiny ticks. Setting the hook aggressively took care of my hook-up problems with small (4" - 5") sizes, up to and including the larger fish in this particular pond (8" - 11"). I concentrated deeply on the feel & retrieve and it was remarkable that I was able to nail just about every fish that hit. Unfortunately, I got bit off twice by one the pond's resident pickeral! Oh well.

Now I'm going to go back to the "Y" guard jigs and focus my efforts on hooking more fish with those. Thanks again for all your support here.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12